Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Omackeral wrote: »
    One last thing on this. I don't need or want your advice whatsoever, I'm at this a long while now and know what I'm doing. That's not to say I know everything but I reckon I know a bit more than someone not even in the door.

As for your notion that I should try to set an example. Well I'm currently a mentor to new recruits at the moment. One of the competencies you are taught is to be flexible and open to change, that's pretty much covering what I said about sometimes having to deviate from the black and white should a situation arise. In prison, that happens. It's part of jail life. New recruits are informed of this.

I've done an AMA on here that was very well received by most of the readers so I'll value their feedback over someone with a handful of posts and a thin discrimination agenda.

I also do yearly talks to a class of PLC students in my own time so I'm happy to give back to people who are genuinely interested. Finally, I've given plenty of advice to posters on this thread via PM of what the job entails and they've been very thankful for it.

If you're a troll, that's sad. If you're not, that's sadder.

You have always been a great poster on the subject in fairness. Some people like the poster your responding to just need to cop on, giving out about discrimination and then trying to tell you how to do your job, a job you have been doing for years and a job they have 0 experience in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bentley17

One last thing on this. I don't need or want your advice whatsoever, I'm at this a long while now and know what I'm doing. That's not to say I know everything but I reckon I know a bit more than someone not even in the door.

As for your notion that I should try to set an example. Well I'm currently a mentor to new recruits at the moment. One of the competencies you are taught is to be flexible and open to change, that's pretty much covering what I said about sometimes having to deviate from the black and white should a situation arise. In prison, that happens. It's part of jail life. New recruits are informed of this.

I've done an AMA on here that was very well received by most of the readers so I'll value their feedback over someone with a handful of posts and a thin discrimination agenda.

I also do yearly talks to a class of PLC students in my own time so I'm happy to give back to people who are genuinely interested. Finally, I've given plenty of advice to posters on this thread via PM of what the job entails and they've been very thankful for it.

If you're a troll, that's sad. If you're not, that's sadder.

You are making assumptions about me, but thank you thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all, question.... Does anyone know if they will be recruiting now in 2018....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hi all, question.... Does anyone know if they will be recruiting now in 2018....

More than likely, a lot of jobs need to be filled

• Registered Users Posts: 22 splarutd

Hi guys if anyone has any idea of the vetting process please dm me. Cheers

• Advertisement

splarutd wrote: »

same as any guarda vetting

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Great Mate

Would be great to get some info on this. I remember at stage 2 the POs telling us that we could lose our position as RPOs if there was any issues with our clearance. Surely we wouldn't be allowed start training without being fully cleared.

Anybody able to clarify?

Great Mate wrote: »
    Would be great to get some info on this. I remember at stage 2 the POs telling us that we could lose our position as RPOs if there was any issues with our clearance. Surely we wouldn't be allowed start training without being fully cleared.

Anybody able to clarify?

You wont, you will lose any chance of becoming an rpo if you fail the vetting, will only be offered a contract once you clear it

Anyone know where the vetting and clearance goes to

Guards do it, but big backlog cos everyone is recruiting

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I waited two full years from completing my interview to getting my start date. That was from 2006-2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Member16

Why not just ring the recruitment section and ask if vetting has been completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Member16

I have. I’m told it’s not completed. It’s taking longer than it should.

Have you done medical or PCT or been given a date

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator post:

User infracted for these posts. Keep it civil or don't post at all.

Back on topic, please and thanks.

-Shield.

Bentley17 wrote: »
    I sincerely apologise officer omackeral, but I had tears in my eyes from laughing at hawkeladys comment. On the plus side at least I can admit when I am wrong unlike the other snowflakes
    Bentley17 wrote: »
    Boo hoo snowflake ❄️��

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Harambe1

In fairness I have been following this thread since it began and I am very grateful for the contributions of people like Wexfjord and Omackeral - especially the previous Now yer talking to a Prison Officer.

Very helpful lads.

I don't mind answering a few questions on here about the job if any interested posters want to ask some questions. Bare in mind, won't be answering anything on specific prisoners or staff and it's been over a decade since I completed the application process. I also don't wanna get into pay scales or next recruitment drives because I'm not au fait with what's on offer for new recruits or when the next ones are coming in etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Colette1982

I don't mind answering a few questions on here about the job if any interested posters want to ask some questions. Bare in mind, won't be answering anything on specific prisoners or staff and it's been over a decade since I completed the application process. I also don't wanna get into pay scales or next recruitment drives because I'm not au fait with what's on offer for new recruits or when the next ones are coming in etc.
    Hiya. I passed my medical last week. Bring on the fitness now. Cant wait for that haha. Would u be able to show me a sample roster by any chance ? Would love to see one . Cheers

Hiya. I passed my medical last week. Bring on the fitness now. Cant wait for that haha. Would u be able to show me a sample roster by any chance ? Would love to see one . Cheers

Congratulations! I'll show you a normal Officer's roster no problem. So in laymen's terms it's Long Week followed by Short Week. It'll go something like this.

Week 1 MON TUE WED THUR FRI SAT SUN

8-8 8-8 Off Off 8-8 8-8 8-8

Week 2 MON TUE WED THUR FRI SAT SUN

Off Off 8-8 8-8 Off Off Off

Week 3 MON TUE WED THUR FRI SAT SUN

Week 4
    MON TUE WED THUR FRI SAT SUN

and so on....

Now, you'll also have to factor Annualised Hours (basically overtime) into this. This means you'll need to nominate 'off' days that you'll be available to work. You're paid a higher rate for these days. When you're established, you can look to be on one of four bands. Most people start on the 360 Hour Band. This means you'll be available to work 360 additional hours a year on those off days. You nominate 15 days per quarter (or 3 month period) that you're available to work. You won't be compelled to do all of them. AH days are generally 8-5, so it's a shorter day. You can apply to do 8-8 on these days either if it suits.

The other bands are the 240 band (where you nominate 10 days), the 112 band and the 0 band. People usually do whatever suits their home life or travel arrangements but that's down the line a while.

Nights come around once every 10 or so weeks. You'll only work 2 nights in a row, or 3 if it falls on your FRI SAT SUN. Don't worry if you don't want to do nights, people will happily swap with you.

There are a few other nuances to the roster but that's the basics of it. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Colette1982

Congratulations! I'll show you a normal Officer's roster no problem. So in laymen's terms it's Long Week followed by Short Week. It'll go something like this.

Week 1 MON TUE WED THUR FRI SAT SUN

Week 2 MON TUE WED THUR FRI SAT SUN

Week 3 MON TUE WED THUR FRI SAT SUN

Week 4
    MON TUE WED THUR FRI SAT SUN

and so on....

Now, you'll also have to factor Annualised Hours (basically overtime) into this. This means you'll need to nominate 'off' days that you'll be available to work. You're paid a higher rate for these days. When you're established, you can look to be on one of four bands. Most people start on the 360 Hour Band. This means you'll be available to work 360 additional hours a year on those off days. You nominate 15 days per quarter (or 3 month period) that you're available to work. You won't be compelled to do all of them. AH days are generally 8-5, so it's a shorter day. You can apply to do 8-8 on these days either if it suits.

The other bands are the 240 band (where you nominate 10 days), the 112 band and the 0 band. People usually do whatever suits their home life or travel arrangements but that's down the line a while.

Nights come around once every 10 or so weeks. You'll only work 2 nights in a row, or 3 if it falls on your FRI SAT SUN. Don't worry if you don't want to do nights, people will happily swap with you.

There are a few other nuances to the roster but that's the basics of it. Good luck!
    Excellent stuff thanks so much for that. Sounds grand. I have seen some Where that you could need to work a 7 day week but is that down to your AH days?

Excellent stuff thanks so much for that. Sounds grand. I have seen some Where that you could need to work a 7 day week but is that down to your AH days?

Exactly. It's up to you to nominate the days so technically you could do a 7 day week if you chose to but it would be rare! There's all sorts of swapping days and exchanges you can do too so you could work week on week off if you really wanted to as there's like minded people in the job. That'll all come in time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭harris33

Does anyone know how long it takes to get notified a date for the physical?
    I passed the medical in November was thinking because of the christmas break that maybe they where waiting till they
    had sufficient numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Andy_V109

harris33 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it takes to get notified a date for the physical?
    I passed the medical in November was thinking because of the christmas break that maybe they where waiting till they
    had sufficient numbers.
    I had to have my medical and all my documents in by November 27th. I received an email off the IPS the week before Christmas to notify me of my fitness test on Thursday the 18th of January. So it took them around 3 weeks to process my paperwork and call me for a fitness test. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭harris33

Andy_V109 wrote: »
    I had to have my medical and all my documents in by November 27th. I received an email off the IPS the week before Christmas to notify me of my fitness test on Thursday the 18th of January. So it took them around 3 weeks to process my paperwork and call me for a fitness test. Hope this helps.
    ok cheers for that might give them a ring tomorrow see what story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DeHorse88

harris33 wrote: »
    ok cheers for that might give them a ring tomorrow see what story is.

I done my medical before Christmas and sent everything off. Should I get an email off them confirming they have received my reports or will the next email I get say that I passed/failed the medical??

DeHorse88 wrote: »
    I done my medical before Christmas and sent everything off. Should I get an email off them confirming they have received my reports or will the next email I get say that I passed/failed the medical??

My Doc forgot to send the peak flow reading so the CMO rang and asked could I get the doc to forward it on.

After that I didn't hear anything until the email invitation to the PCT.

What is the Training Programme for an RPO??

Am I right in saying it's 3 weeks in Portlaoise and 3 weeks in Wheatfield both 8-5 roughly .......5 day weeks too. Then your straight into working in the prisons as training on the normal roster 12 hr shifts like the ones mentioned above .

What is the Training Programme for an RPO??

Am I right in saying it's 3 weeks in Portlaoise and 3 weeks in Wheatfield both 8-5 roughly .......5 day weeks too. Then your straight into working in the prisons as training on the normal roster 12 hr shifts like the ones mentioned above .

6 weeks in both. The IPS has details on their website with regards to the first 4 classes starting this year. The first of which started yesterday if I'm not mistaking.

Great Mate wrote: »
    6 weeks in both. The IPS has details on their website with regards to the first 4 classes starting this year. The first of which started yesterday if I'm not mistaking.

Is it straight into a Dublin Prison then working 12hr roster for the rest of the training??

Is it straight into a Dublin Prison then working 12hr roster for the rest of the training??

Yes after the 12 weeks training its into whatever allocated prison given. I'm not sure exactly the process after that, if its straight into the roster or a lying week etc.

Maybe omackeral can help us out on that one...

I think it may be different than when I did it so no point really me giving advice if that's the case.

When it was me back in 2008, it was 9 weeks training with one of those weeks being a familiarisation week in a Dublin jail. After that it was straight into a Dublin jail (not necessarily the one you had your familiarisation in) as a Recruit Prison Officer. You're basically in at the deep end as a normal officer but are still an RPO until your probation period is up.

• Advertisement

Ok lads got a bit of info today. Apparently some of you are waiting on vetting a bit longer than you thought you would be. This is due to a massive backlog as there are currently prospective Gardai, Army personnel and Prison Officer currently awaiting clearance. There are recruitment drives across all three branches at the moment. It probably stands to reason that the Gardai are going to look after their own first. I got notice today that someone who was waiting on their PO vetting got it today so happy times.

Also, a new class started in Portlaoise today by all accounts.

Advertisement