Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement of a roof with lits of issues

Options
  • 08-07-2016 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I would be interested in getting an opinion on the cost of re-roofing our 2002 built semi detached dormer. It has had many issues which I would like to address once and for all.
    Currently it has concrete tiles on bitumen felt, 2 dormer Windows at the front, and 2 velux at the back. House footprint is 9 x8 metres vans pitch is around 45degrees. Shared chimney structure with next door.
    Reasons for doing are numerous....

Felt is badly fitted and doesn't even overlap in places. It's also got some holes and is rotten at some edges.
    There are countless nails protruding the underside of the felt where the person has missed the rafters by a few mm when nailing on battens. These nails have caused water to drop off after a storm leak.

The builders stuffed fibreglass insulation behind the plasterboard at the sloped ceilings. Can't get it out as it keeps breaking. It has cut off ventilation from eaves and is also crap.

Cement is breaking away from the gable tile edges and also dormer fronts. Exposed site means we regularly lose tiles in the winter. We lost 16 ridge tiles in 2012 which also damaged others as they fell. Been repaired.

I would like to remove the tiles and felt, insulate the space behind the sloped ceilings and around the dormer Windows properly, and fit a proper membrane and seal to improve airtightness within the upstairs. Then replace with original tiles.

Advertisement