Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking365 Is A Mess

Options
  • 08-07-2016 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

I have made a number of purchases over the last few days. Yesterday, I checked my balance. I just checked my balance again and it is considerably higher than yesterday despite receiving no payments.

Upon inspection, I see that a number of those purchases have disappeared. I know this is a common complaint for 365 for years but I refuse to believe it is technologically impossible to rectify this and show the correct balance all the time. I work in IT in the finance sector so I have a decent understanding of how these things work.

The system should show the correct current account balance 100% of the time. If this isn't the case, the IT department should treat it has a critical incident until resolved. It is an absolute basic feature and minumum requirement.

I am now left with the option of either waiting a day or two until the balance updates correctly or try to work out the balance manually. Neither is acceptable.

At this stage, I think I'll resort to keeping track of my finances myself in a Spreadsheet and only relying on 365 infrequently.

BOI should be embarressed by this in this day and age.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

I have made a number of purchases over the last few days. Yesterday, I checked my balance. I just checked my balance again and it is considerably higher than yesterday despite receiving no payments.

Upon inspection, I see that a number of those purchases have disappeared. I know this is a common complaint for 365 for years but I refuse to believe it is technologically impossible to rectify this and show the correct balance all the time. I work in IT in the finance sector so I have a decent understanding of how these things work.

The system should show the correct current account balance 100% of the time. If this isn't the case, the IT department should treat it has a critical incident until resolved. It is an absolute basic feature and minumum requirement.

I am now left with the option of either waiting a day or two until the balance updates correctly or try to work out the balance manually. Neither is acceptable.

At this stage, I think I'll resort to keeping track of my finances myself in a Spreadsheet and only relying on 365 infrequently.

Hi SimonTemplar, thanks for getting in touch and I’m sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the service.

We do make every effort to ensure that the information we give you about balances online is accurate and complete, the balance on your account will update on the website throughout the day as transactions take place. 

In relation to visa debit card transactions, these may not be reflected fully on your account until the retailer has processed them completely.  I'll certainly pass on your feedback in relation to this and your suggestions for the website.

Apologies again and please let me know if you need help with anything else.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Hi SimonTemplar, thanks for getting in touch and I’m sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the service.

We do make every effort to ensure that the information we give you about balances online is accurate and complete, the balance on your account will update on the website throughout the day as transactions take place. 

In relation to visa debit card transactions, these may not be reflected fully on your account until the retailer has processed them completely.  I'll certainly pass on your feedback in relation to this and your suggestions for the website.

Apologies again and please let me know if you need help with anything else.

Thanks
    Nicola
    This is the standard BOI reply to this criticism. Such transactions always appear on my account immediately after I have completed the transaction, only to disappear again, and reappear a day or two later. There is obviously some logic in your system that removes them after they have initially appeared. This is flawed and needs to be improved.

I have friends and family with accounts in other banks and they don't experience this with their online systems. No reason why BOI can't fix this. People have been complaining about this here on Boards for years.

Seriously annoyed at BOI's poor service in this area and genuinely looking at moving to another bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Is the up to date balance wrong as well, or is it the internal balances that look confused? It's all to do with shadow postings at point of sale, which only stay on the account for a short while before they are updated when a retailer submits the official payment for processing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

To be honest, the concept of shadow transactions is kind of necessary as if the store makes a mistake e.g. puts a transaction through twice by accident, there needs to be a process where this can be rectified by the official posting

Advertisement