Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand up frustrated with Irish stand up set up

• 08-07-2016 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello All.

I'm just going into a little rant here, as need to get this off my chest and think this might be only place where people will listen and can do it anonymously. This will only make sense to those in Irish stand up comedy.

I been doing stand up for nearly six years. I worked hard in that time. Driving every-where for no money, going to Edinburgh, England etc just to do gigs just to get better.

Around the 3-4 years I finally got point where I was seen as good enough. Got regular spots in one of the bigger comedy clubs in Dublin and began moving up the ladder as they say. Or so I thought.

I was on open spots for a year and half in one club. I was finally moved up to a 15. On the night when I was about to do my first 15 min slot it was taken away because one of the runners of the club mate showed up and he gived him the 15 I worked so hard to get it. This was in one of the big 4 comedy clubs in Dublin. No apology was given and wasn't offered another 15 down the line. I'm not even going bother contacting them again.

Last Sept I did an open spot for one of the other big four. I did very well and the runner of the club agreed with me. I asked for another date and he said he be in touch. He got back in touch this week and offered me another open spot for the end of the month.

It's been near impossible to get in touch with the Booker of one club where I was a semi-regular. When he saw me again, he said how good I was and he be in touch with me (I been trying to contacted him for ages with no reply.) Still no reply for him.

I just annoyed as there is only really four comedy clubs in Dublin where you can get paid and hopefully play to decent crowds. Despite my hard work and best efforts, people like
    Jo Anne McNally are walking into paid spots at clubs/festivals despite being awful and having someone to write her set for her.

You may say I am bitter and I don't deny that. I worked very hard and do well with crowds. But because I don't know how to kiss ass and pretend to be people's friend and like all there stuff on Facebook and tell them how great they are, I'm not moving up the ladder.

Due to the size of Irish comedy there no where to go. I was doing very well in Galway but had to leave that behind due the travel time. I can't go to England because of my family and job here.

I'm just venting here. But if any one wants to join in please do. Love hear any other stand ups thoughts on this. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 readytohelp

I am new in the standup world. But understand what you are going through based on other things happening in life. I myself want to be a good standup, but I am doing it because I am enjoying it. I know though that it is not going to give me any money. So am doing it as a challenge, fun and pleasure. If it works great. FB likes and being social helps but I believe stand up is possibly one of the only field where individual talent and hard work count the most. I know that you are doing this for six years so I am in no way qualified to advice or comment. But hang in there my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Just saw this post.....

If you were funnier, you'd get the gigs... simple as.

If you're doing comedy for six years and only getting paid now, you're just not that good.

Joanne McNally gets gigs, because she gets laughs. There is no other reason to book her.

There are a lot of **** acts out there who think that because they "put in the work" that someone should book them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ashvsed

zoo are you involved in stand up?
    People take time to find their voice in comedy. It could take people 10 years. If you worked hard on something for 6 years and saw some one get ahead due to who they know and not based on their talent you be annoyed too.
    Everybody knows why PJ Gallagher helped Jo Anne out so much at the start (read between the lines). I sat through Jo Anne and she not funny. She now hired people to write her stand up and is only where she is because of PJ.
    Sadly like most things is who you know and not how hard you work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

ashvsed wrote: »
    zoo are you involved in stand up?
    People take time to find their voice in comedy. It could take people 10 years. If you worked hard on something for 6 years and saw some one get ahead due to who they know and not based on their talent you be annoyed too.
    Everybody knows why PJ Gallagher helped Jo Anne out so much at the start (read between the lines). I sat through Jo Anne and she not funny. She now hired people to write her stand up and is only where she is because of PJ.
    Sadly like most things is who you know and not how hard you work.

Yep... I ran a number of comedy clubs for many years and I learned early on that comedy is subjective.

You don't think she's funny, that's comedy. Many punters do, that's comedy. There are acts who you find funny, who I wouldn't, that's comedy.

It would make no difference to me whether an act put in 6 years or 6 weeks.... once they are funny, make punters laugh and make me laugh.

Exactly - It's not about how "hard you work"...... it's about how good you are and how appealing you are to an audience.

Advertisement