Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2016, July 9, Stage 8: Pau / Bagnères-de-Luchon *SPOILERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Amazing from Froome. Great 2nd place for Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

2nd spot for Dan Martin, great finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Well that was pretty awesome from Froome. Bit depressing in terms of the gc for everyone else. If he'd not done it I might have had a nice little win with Dan Martin there . . .

Anyone know the calculation for the time limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

The "Team Sky are boring" club members are having an existential crisis right about now.
    Solid 2nd for Dan, 6 second bonus for his efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

That was bonkers! Great finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Another great ride from Dan. He really could podium if he doesn't lose too much in the time trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I dunno if this is worth the risk Froomey

Well?

I know he's a proud man but at this point I think Contador should bow out & look towards the Vuelta rather than say hoping for maybe a stage win in the latter stages of this.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Well?

If you predicted a Froome descent attack to succeed you're a better man than me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Where did Quintana finish? Le tour.com dont have him in Dan Martins group

REBELSAFC wrote: »

Was wondering that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

pelevin wrote: »
    I know he's a proud man but at this point I think Contador should bow out & look towards the Vuelta rather than say hoping for maybe a stage win in the latter stages of this.
    Yeah, Kreuziger and Majka are doing nothing for him though.

Fair play to sky, obviously had a plan to catch everyone on the hop and Valverde was asleep at the wheel for Quintana.

Brilliant ride from Dan.

Bullllllsh!t that wasn't planned :D

REBELSAFC wrote: »

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/751799962862747648

Chapeau again to Froome. Fabulous gutsy racing from him there.

Just a word for the many people's perennial baddie, Valverde. 3rd in the Giro & here he's the one at the head of things trying to close down Froome. Look at say Dumoulin & Nibali who were both in the Giro. Just in terms of performances rather than reasons for dislike, what a magnificent sportsman.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Yeah, Kreuziger and Majka are doing nothing for him though.

Fair play to sky, obviously had a plan to catch everyone on the hop and Valverde was asleep at the wheel for Quintana.

Brilliant ride from Dan.

Though maybe you could say Quintana was asleep at the wheel for Quintana! Who would have expected that kind of effort though from Froome?

xxyyzz wrote: »

Fair play to sky, obviously had a plan to catch everyone on the hop

Froome just said he went for it on the spur of the moment. "For a bit of fun"!

If you predicted a Froome descent attack to succeed you're a better man than me :)

I did not see that coming!!

Anybody got GC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Anyone know the calculation for the time limit?

I did a quick look up of rules and I worked it out. I think it's 5hrs and about 40mins. I think now. I could have messed up somewhere

Dan in 3rd on GC???

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Anybody got GC?

Froome in yellow, Dan in 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

AHHHHHHHHHHH Dan one second off second!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    I did a quick look up of rules and I worked it out. I think it's 5hrs and about 40mins. I think now. I could have messed up somewhere

Double checked. I'm right so I think Cav will make it. He'll hardly be more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

mhiggy09 wrote: »

The tracker on the tour website stops about 5 min after the finish but at that stage Sam was in the grupetto with close to 50 riders about 29 minutes down and cavendish (with eisel) were only 2 minutes back and closing.

With a group that size they will be able to "make the calculation" and survive the time limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,405 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cav makes the 'bus' at the finish 39m 40s down he looked wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

After watching that, I think Froome will have a harder time winning this years Tour. The last two wins came courtesy of winning the first mountain stage in dominant fashion and holding on - No chance of doing it this year. Froome bust his balls today and it will be interesting to see if Movistar decide to test him early tomorrow. Plus, apart from Henao, his team don't appear to be as strong as last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

velo.2010 wrote: »
    After watching that, I think Froome will have a harder time winning this years Tour. The last two wins came courtesy of winning the first mountain stage in dominant fashion and holding on - No chance of doing it this year. Froome bust his balls today and it will be interesting to see if Movistar decide to test him early tomorrow. Plus, apart from Henao, his team don't appear to be as strong as last year.

I don't know, his team seemed pretty strong today, they rode tempo up the climb, didn't really try to make it as hard as possible, hence there were quite a few of them in the GC group at this top.

We'll get a better idea tomorrow on Arcalis I guess.

Advertisement