Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foreign-language DVDs?

• 08-07-2016 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Where's it possible to buy foreign-language DVDs at a decent price?

Amazon's no good because you have to buy £25 worth before you get free shipping. Play.com, now changed to rakuten.co.uk, is no good because they don't list whether the DVD is subtitled or not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You will have to pay for shipping from pretty much anywhere native as you will be considered an overseas market for any foreign language sites. Do you want them subbed or not? A lot of other countries sites would sell domestic market DVDs without subs available.

If you are looking for English-subbed world cinema, ebay or Amazon are your best bets. Just buy more at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Always subbed - then I can watch them with subs on, and afterwards with subs off to get the feel of the language.

If only Rakuten actually listed whether DVDs were subbed - they ship all DVDs for free!

Anywhere with "free shipping" is folding the costs in elsewhere - usually the product is sufficiently dearer to begin with; or you'll get whacked for customs if the order is large enough.

Once upon a time £25 would buy you just one "imported" DVD on Amazon though - I have a few German movies that never got translated. It would work out as quite a few now!

I think the folded-in costs come from the fact that I'd mostly be buying DVDs that are a few years old, and are probably surplus to requirement in most markets.

Chuchote wrote: »
    I think the folded-in costs come from the fact that I'd mostly be buying DVDs that are a few years old, and are probably surplus to requirement in most markets.

Those would be far, far harder to find stock anywhere. The places with them are going to be those that care less about accurate listings or less likely to offer free postage.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Those would be far, far harder to find stock anywhere. The places with them are going to be those that care less about accurate listings or less likely to offer free postage.

Yes, I'd mostly be buying from play.com, who do offer free postage, but, maddeningly, seldom say whether the DVDs are subtitled.

Alas — Play, now owned by Rakuten, is closing!

What about in Dublin, Galway, Cork, Belfast, etc — is there a motherlode of foreign-language DVDs anywhere? Where do most of the non-natives live, maybe the charity shops there would be a good source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Chuchote wrote: »
    Alas — Play, now owned by Rakuten, is closing!

What about in Dublin, Galway, Cork, Belfast, etc — is there a motherlode of foreign-language DVDs anywhere? Where do most of the non-natives live, maybe the charity shops there would be a good source.

Tower Records in dublin has some films

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

IFI has decent selection.

Thanks, was in the IFI yesterday and got one, but they're pricey enough. Got a couple more in some of the city's thrift shops. And got one on Amazon for a penny, plus a couple of quid postage. Still searching for the motherlode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Worth noting that if you watch film on xbmc you can access online subtitles from various subtitles repositories so you don't need them yourself on the digital file or DVD.

Edit:. I see xbmc is now called kodi.

Thanks, I haven't heard of xbmc or kodi but will seek them out.

Advertisement