Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fault with house alarm

Options
  • 08-07-2016 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi
    The sitting room door slammed in the wind today and I'm thinking it mightve affected the alarm. Just tried to set it there for the night and it's not setting at all. It's coming up with the faults in the pics below. TheRe is a box above the sitting room door which is someting to do with the alarm. Any ideas what may be wrong with it??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

There is a spring in that box over the door, otherwise known as the panel, it is for detecting whether the cover is closed or not, i suspect that the vibration of the door slamming knocked it out of alignment.

How long is the system showing low battery? This is a separate problem.

Try and set your alarm with your code and pressing the # button twice after it, that might bypass the problem for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks kub, that would make sense alright as i thought that i heard the alarm make a beep when the door slammed but i didn't notice it until i tried to set the alarm last night.

the panel batt flt is still there today. do i need to take the panel off the box and replace whatever type of battery is inside?? and is this an easy job?! i don't want to mess with it too much if there is a spring on the door like you said

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The battery is easily replaced. It's on 2 leads colour coded for +&-. Open the panel and remove the old battery by removing the leads.
    Bring it with you when getting a new one just to be sure. Connect the new battery and close up the panel. If all is good this will solve the 2 faults.

thanks koolkid. found another simliar thread on here a while ago with what seems to be the same problem so am i right in thinking these are the steps to fix it?!
    - turn off mains (there is a switch just for alarm but to be extra safe should i just turn the main one off?!)
    - unscrew panel
    - pry battery out and replace it with 7 amp 12 volt dc rechargeable battery (it is a hkc one i think)
    - screw on panel
    - turn mains back on
    - reset the alarm

am i missing anything?!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No that's spot on.
    When the system is powered down completely the outside bell will sound, but it will stop once you power back up again.

• Advertisement

thanks again koolkid. going to hopefully sort it tomorrow if the battery is in stock

You should get them in most suppliers. Keep away from retailers like Maplins etc. They have a massive mark up on them.

Fixed it! Thanks for all the help here, I've attached photos for a step by step so any other newbies with this problem can fix it too!

I also took out the green wire attached to the panel and put it in again and that seemed to sort the panel fault error

Advertisement