Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercings at work

Options
  • 09-07-2016 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So ive been working at the same retail type job for over a year now and seeing as there was nothing in my contract about piercings I decided to get a nostril piercing a few months ago,I made sure that the jewelry was simple ,dainty and to be honest barely noticeable. My manager never commented on it but recently a more senior member of the company was working with me and didn't respond well. I was repeatedly called "unprofessional" yet he he made multiple attempts to physically remove the piercing from my face and would make upsetting comments about it. Naturally I was very distressed so to make him stop.I got a clear retainer bar which he was happier with. However,I feel like changing jewelry constantly will irrigate my piercing and its a painful process to boot. Should I just wear the retainer while he is working ? lets say he came to my workplace outside of his working hours and I was wearing my normal jewelry ,would.he have grpunds.for dismissal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 njjj

I'm sorry to stop by and to say that i am not a fan of piercing and i am not a fan of any sort of Jewellery, this might seem odd to some, i know

If i were you though, i would ask the bothered manager for clarity

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pixiestix11

njjj wrote: »
    If i were you though, i would ask the bothered manager for clarity
    Oh he made himself very clear ,he was insistent on me removing the piercing and said it "defaced (my) beautiful face" =/

Oh he made himself very clear ,he was insistent on me removing the piercing and said it "defaced (my) beautiful face" =/
    Oh, then, maybe it is personal to him, i mean, he probably doesn't like it on his own.
    This said, you didn't mention what your work type look like, so you can't really get the appropriate public opinions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

In what way did he make 'multiple attempts to physically remove it'?

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    In what way did he make 'multiple attempts to physically remove it'?

As in putting his hand /holding a.tweezer up to my face. Im.not sure if he.was jokeing or what but it certainly didn't feel like it

Oh, then, maybe it is personal to him, i mean, he probably doesn't like it on his own.
    This said, you didn't mention what your work type look like, so you can't really get the appropriate public opinions
    Not sure what you mean by "work type"but ive.worked for other companies in the same industry and they actually specify in the contract that nostril studs.are allowed,my current place of employment meerly requires we wear the appropriate uniform and mentions nothing.else abour personal appearance

Not sure what you mean by "work type"but ive.worked for other companies in the same industry and they actually specify in the contract that nostril studs.are allowed,my current place of employment meerly requires we wear the appropriate uniform and mentions nothing.else abour personal appearance
    I was actually referring to your kind of profession and whether the studd would have any impact. But having given it a thorough consideration, and recalling my own observations, i don't think it is a problem to most (if not all) industries: i just think (like i said earlier) that the issue might just be that this particular manager doesn't fancy it; and by his own word, it doesn't look good on your "beautiful face": beautiful face has nothing to do with profession except personal admiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

What does your contract say about dress codes and physical appearance. If it doesn't stipulate that piercings are not permitted then ld say that your okay.

childsplay wrote: »
    What does your contract say about dress codes and physical appearance. If it doesn't stipulate that piercings are not permitted then ld say that your okay.

It says nothing about appearance ,it meerly says we must wear black pants,black shoes and.the top provided to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

childsplay wrote: »

It would be pretty unusual for any sort of dress code to be specified in a contract. Policies and contractual terms are usually different documents.

Eoin wrote: »
    It would be pretty unusual for any sort of dress code to be specified in a contract. Policies and contractual terms are usually different documents.

I received one document to sign and it included everything from dress code to hours,I kept a copy and I still have it. (Its a pretty small company)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is Noone else worried that a senior manager tried to physically remove this from the employee with tweezers??
    This isn't appropriate behaviour in any way and I'd have been making a complaint immediately.

I'm not a fan of tattoos or piercings either, but you can't go interfering physically with staff that's open to a complaint and possible legal case.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

_Brian wrote:
    Is Noone else worried that a senior manager tried to physically remove this from the employee with tweezers?? This isn't appropriate behaviour in any way and I'd have been making a complaint immediately.

Was he flirting the OP or was he being serious? Either way l agree with Brian. Totally inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

From the little information you've given in this thread, it sounds like you've a good case for harassment and the manager should be the one worrying, not you. A manager should be telling you something doesn't look good on your "beautiful face".

If it is against company policy, this should be clearly stated, it shouldn't be down to guesswork.

_Brian wrote: »
    Is Noone else worried that a senior manager tried to physically remove this from the employee with tweezers??
    This isn't appropriate behaviour in any way and I'd have been making a complaint immediately.

I'm not a fan of tattoos or piercings either, but you can't go interfering physically with staff that's open to a complaint and possible legal case.
    Seconded, i share these opinions

From the little information you've given in this thread, it sounds like you've a good case for harassment and the manager should be the one worrying, not you. A manager should be telling you something doesn't look good on your "beautiful face".

If it is against company policy, this should be clearly stated, it shouldn't be down to guesswork.
    Well said

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

As in putting his hand /holding a.tweezer up to my face. Im.not sure if he.was jokeing or what but it certainly didn't feel like it

That's incredibly inappropriate and while i know nothing about the retail sector specifically i would consider it borderline harassment however i will defer to others for the actual terms. But. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Well said

Crikey, a manager tells a girl her face is to beautiful to have something as tacky as a piercing on it, and that's "harassment"? I think you guys need to settle down a bit.

From my reading of the op's description, he didn't actually try to remove it, he held a tweezers up and simulated removing it, I suspect this was light hearted.

That's incredibly inappropriate and while i know nothing about the retail sector specifically i would consider it borderline harassment however i will defer to others for the actual terms. But. Wow.
    Whatever gave you the opinion that she works in the retail sector?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I feel like this might be an older man who might see himself as a kind of dad figure to younger staff. I had a job when I was 14 and the boss was very much like that. He reminded me of my dad and maybe some of the stuff he said could have been deemed inappropriate but I genuinely believe it came from a caring place and dusted it off. He would often offer advice to all of us. Pretty young workforce. Mainly teenagers.

I feel like this might be an older man who might see himself as a kind of dad figure to younger staff. I had a job when I was 14 and the boss was very much like that. He reminded me of my dad and maybe some of the stuff he said could have been deemed inappropriate but I genuinely believe it came from a caring place and dusted it off. He would often offer advice to all of us. Pretty young workforce. Mainly teenagers.
    You started working at 14, you must be very rich by now, waoh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I had exactly the same experience when I was a teenager, I worked on a building site and the foreman used to shake his fists at the young fellas when they did something stupid, it didn't mean he was going to punch us, he was telling us "don't do something that stupid again". Was that harassment or bullying? Apparently some on this thread would say it was, it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭selastich2

If you get a piercing through your nose, you are going to get comments. I remember all sorts of jokes about how many times the subsidy had been drawn on me and whether the EU knew. This is not harassment, it's people being people. Don't get a look at me thing in your face if you don't want people to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

So ive been working at the same retail type job for over a year now...

njjj wrote:

Literally the first line of the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I am! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

She's 123 years old now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The very first few words of the initial post gave me a clue..

selastich2 wrote: »
    If you get a piercing through your nose, you are going to get comments. I remember all sorts of jokes about how many times the subsidy had been drawn on me and whether the EU knew. This is not harassment, it's people being people. Don't get a look at me thing in your face if you don't want people to comment.
    Sorry now but what makes you think I got the piercing for attention? I.got it because I like the way it looks,and I think.it suits my face,furthermore it's not really anyones place tocl comment on anyone elses.appearance.

• Advertisement

Sorry now but what makes you think I got the piercing for attention? I.got it because I like the way it looks,and I think.it suits my face,furthermore it's not really anyones place tocl comment on anyone elses.appearance.

I daresay if your employer had asked you not to wear the piercing and you continue to do so then they have every right to comment on it.

He's asked you not to wear it, joked about removing it and yet you continue to do so. Where do you honestly see this going. Only going to end one way methinks.

Advertisement