Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House swap

Options
  • 09-07-2016 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Looking to swap my 2 bedroom 2 bathroom In balrothery balbriggan medium garden wooden floors lovely area for a 3 bedroom in balbriggan. Just wanted see if anyone was downsizing as I really need 3 bed due to overcrowding

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You might like to elaborate a bit?
    There are tax implications in tax swaps for both parties now (the exemption ended in 1999).
    You can't just swap property any longer.........

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Cola34

You might like to elaborate a bit?
    There are tax implications in tax swaps for both parties now (the exemption ended in 1999).
    You can't just swap property any longer.........

Sorry I should have said my property is a council property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Cola34 wrote: »

Don't you need to go through the council then?

Cola34 wrote: »

Hey Cola-

The process is:

1. Apply to the council and complete a 'Housing Transfer Form' specifying the areas you'd like to transfer to
    2. Local Authority review the application and rank it points according to certain criteria.
    3. Providing you meet the criteria for a transfer- you are placed on the list (you may avoid the point scheme if you can show you need the transfer on health grounds, if you're disabled and your current accommodation isn't suitable- or for any of a number of other criteria)
    4. Once your place on the list is reached- for an offer in one of the areas you've specified on your application- you are contacted and offered the transfer/move.

It is not the case that you can simply swap a property with another tenant elsewhere- you are not entitled to do this. You must follow the process- doing an adhoc transfer, such as you're suggesting- could result in eviction processes being initiated against both sets of tenants..........

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Of course the formalities need to be handled through the councils.

But waiting for them to find someone to swap with you is a dead duck: some councils, especially the busy ones, don't even try to find swaps for people.

So the usual process is to find someone else who wants to swap with you and then to approach the council(s) for approval.

• Advertisement

Gumtree used to have a section where people could advertise their wanted swaps. No idea if this is still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Cola34

Gumtree used to have a section where people could advertise their wanted swaps. No idea if this is still the case.

Yes it is and Facebook is useful was just trying my luck on here thanks

Advertisement