Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for trade up - locations??

Options
  • 09-07-2016 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are looking for a trade up house, have been looking for quite some time. Given its a trade up we are fairly clear on what we want, and what we will/won't compromise on.

We made our list of criteria and have it narrowed down to two developments. One is in Ballyboughal which ticks all of the house boxes but none of the location/amenities boxes. It's a nice country location out there but requires driving distance to everything...However the houses are fabulous and give you huge amount of inside space.

The other development is in Malahide, we really like the house and it gives us a good bit more space than we have now. But the storage upstairs is not great and its not laid out downstairs as we would like(we prefer large open plan).Also its 100k more of a mortgage which means a certain commitment to working hard for a long time to come.......

How do people decide?

We have looked at every area around North County Dublin - but give the type of house and location we are looking for above is what we have narrowed down to.

Any opinions on what Ballyboughal is like to live in? Or Malahide? How are they both commuting to city in peak windows?

Also in general, is now a good time to buy? On one hand we think it is, but on other hand we are scared the shortage means more compromise than in a diff market. It is so hard to know...

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Malahide is on the DART / Commuter rail lines- Ballyboughal/Blakestown- not.
    You're north county Dublin in either event- only one is far more commuter friendly than the other (trying to get into the city centre via the M1 in peak traffic is soul destroying).

Personally- while I don't particularly like either area- the fact that you can get the DART/Commuter train into Connolly from Malahide- would be a massive deciding factor for me- and worth the additional outlay.

Vis-a-vis the layout of the property- its something you could work on over time- its relatively easy to open up a downstairs (providing you don't mess with load bearing walls etc). Its not a deciding factor really.

Price is an issue- 100k is 100k- no matter how you look at it. I'd argue that purely on the basis of location- its worth spending the extra 100k to get Malahide over Ballyboughal (to be honest- I'd do it in a heartbeat).

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BettyBoo2011

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I work in a number of diff places every day so chances are I will prob be driving to work forever! However it would be good for my husband or for times we want to go to town for other purposes.. It is more the amenities and community that has won us over...

Plenty to mull over!

Advertisement