Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics and prayer

• 09-07-2016 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

There has been some debate in recent times about the Dáil prayer. In my view, the issue at hand is not the prayer itself but the fact that it has become routine and formulaic. Irish politicians need to be inspired. To this end, I propose that for each Dáil session, a few considered words of prayer should be delivered either ad lib or prepared but unique to the problems and challenges of the day.

By doing this, a Christian prayer leader can not only inspire and focus minds but he/she can also defer to those of other faiths and none in the spirit of the message. Properly done, the prayer can be by far the most important speech of the day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,629 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There has been some debate in recent times about the Dáil prayer. In my view, the issue at hand is not the prayer itself but the fact that it has become routine and formulaic. Irish politicians need to be inspired. To this end, I propose that for each Dáil session, a few considered words of prayer should be delivered either ad lib or prepared but unique to the problems and challenges of the day.

By doing this, a Christian prayer leader can not only inspire and focus minds but he/she can also defer to those of other faiths and none in the spirit of the message. Properly done, the prayer can be by far the most important speech of the day.

Prayer to whom?

How would this "inspire" people of no faith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,892 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

A proper system of accountability and attendance tracking with financial (and possibly internal) penalties for not hitting the targets would do far more to focus minds than prayers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Prayers have no place in a national assembly that claims to have a separate church and State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Anything Religious should be removed and from the Constitution as well. The CC does not hold sway like when they did in the founding of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I'm sure i mentioned it before, but i think the religious tax they have in Germany and other European countries would sort out the pious from the culturally religious pretty quickly.

I'm sure all those craw-thumping politicians would only be too delighted to hand over 8% of their pay for the good of their respective churches.

• Advertisement

Satriale wrote: »
    I'm sure i mentioned it before, but i think the religious tax they have in Germany and other European countries would sort out the pious from the culturally religious pretty quickly.

I'm sure all those craw-thumping politicians would only be too delighted to hand over 8% of their pay for the good of their respective churches.

I would love to see that bought in here tbh, see how quickly the RCC membership figures drop in Ireland when people stop ticking the Catholic box on the census forms.

I would love to see that bought in here tbh, see how quickly the RCC membership figures drop in Ireland when people stop ticking the Catholic box on the census forms.

And 25% for TD's then see how they explain not voting in favour of the 8th for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,411 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A Christian prayer, no matter how well delivered or by who, is not going to inspire a non-Christian. Delusional to believe that it could.

Religion has zero place in anything the state does at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

L1011 wrote: »
    A Christian prayer, no matter how well delivered or by who, is not going to inspire a non-Christian. Delusional to believe that it could.

Religion has zero place in anything the state does at all.

No no no,there always has and always must be a place for religious belief/faith among those elected to public office and those who wish to be seen to be just.Those of the atheist persuasion refuse to accept the concept of good and evil and are thus lacking morality.Individuals such as Stalin,Mao,Pol Pot,Mussolini,Kim Jong,Ceausescu,Lenin and some would argue Hitler all lacked this morality.Atheistic governments/regimes have been responsible for the deaths of over 100,000,000 of their citizens in the past 100 years.

fran17 wrote: »
    No no no,there always has and always must be a place for religious belief/faith among those elected to public office and those who wish to be seen to be just.Those of the atheist persuasion refuse to accept the concept of good and evil and are thus lacking morality.Individuals such as Stalin,Mao,Pol Pot,Mussolini,Kim Jong,Ceausescu,Lenin and some would argue Hitler all lacked this morality.Atheistic governments/regimes have been responsible for the deaths of over 100,000,000 of their citizens in the past 100 years.

Oh, do get a life.

Many of the people with the worst moral compass in Irish life in the past 50 years have been those most publicly religious. The "look at all these evil athiests" line was tired decades ago and ignores the huge numbers of deaths caused in the pursuit of religious wars. It is lazy and utterly inaccurate to believe or even claim that morals rely on religion.

The state here at least pretends to be separated from the church - as a result religion has no places in the Dail.

• Advertisement

Nut jobs are the problem not non Religious people. Plenty of more killed in the past in the Name of Religions way more.

Oh, do get a life.

Many of the people with the worst moral compass in Irish life in the past 50 years have been those most publicly religious. The "look at all these evil athiests" line was tired decades ago and ignores the huge numbers of deaths caused in the pursuit of religious wars.

The state here at least pretends to be separated from the church - as a result religion has no places in the Dail.

Im not speaking in respect to "prayer time" in Dail Eireann,im speaking in respect to an individuals sense of right and wrong,their moral compass so to speak.All studies will conclude that an atheists sense of what is socially/morally acceptable is dangerously skewed.

Nut jobs are the problem not non Religious people. Plenty of more killed in the past in the Name of Religions way more.

People killed in the name of many things in past centuries,including God,but in modern times the link is undeniable.

All studies will conclude that an atheists sense of what is socially/morally acceptable is dangerously skewed.

Proof for this audacious statement, please.

Studies need to be peer reviewed and reputable.
    People killed in the name of many things in past centuries,including God,but in modern times the link is undeniable.

And for that one, please. Show us, with real numbers, that numbers of people killed in pursuit of atheist causes vs religious ones

You are the one making the claims - the burden of proof lies entirely on you. You seem to know this proof exists so it shouldn't be hard to provide it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Im not speaking in respect to "prayer time" in Dail Eireann,im speaking in respect to an individuals sense of right and wrong,their moral compass so to speak.All studies will conclude that an atheists sense of what is socially/morally acceptable is dangerously skewed.

I'm an atheist and try to conduct my life around

'do no harm'

Believers in the various 'sky fairies' could do a lot better if they adopted the same attitude .

Really?

What of the morality of all those priests who raped children for decades?

I'm an atheist and I know the difference between right and wrong, maybe you should save your breath preaching to us and take your teachings over to the Vatican where they might do some good.

Mechanisation is the only difference, Imagine the Crusade with our technology. Took longer to kill people in the past in the same numbers.

Proof for this audacious statement, please.

Studies need to be peer reviewed and reputable.

And for that one, please. Show us, with real numbers, that numbers of people killed in pursuit of atheist causes vs religious ones

You are the one making the claims - the burden of proof lies entirely on you. You seem to know this proof exists so it shouldn't be hard to provide it.

I'm not going to spend my Saturday night chasing down rabbit holes for you,a simple search will provide all the links you require.There is a long history of atheism and decadence.

I'm not going to spend my Saturday night chasing down rabbit holes for you,a simple search will provide all the links you require.There is a long history of atheism and decadence.

So you've absolutely no proof, then. Good. If the proof you are so confident about existed you'd provide it - but you've just made stuff up instead. Where does lying fall on your religiously guided moral compass? Are you planning a quick confessional to sort the lying bit out?

Hahahahahaa. Vatican anyone ????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

OP called reality keeper proposes prayer as something with a basis in reality. Absurdity upon absurdity.

So you've absolutely no proof, then. Good. If the proof you are so confident about existed you'd provide it - but you've just made stuff up instead. Where does lying fall on your religiously guided moral compass? Are you planning a quick confessional to sort the lying bit out?

Passive aggressiveness wont get you anywhere and is self defeating really.Atheism goes hand in hand with all forms of depravity.Jeffrey Dahmer commited his depraved acts in the name of atheism:"If a person doesn't think there is a God to be accountable to,then whats the point of trying to modify your behaviour to keep it within acceptable ranges?".Back to my original point,the refusal to believe in good and evil.

Passive aggressiveness wont get you anywhere and is self defeating really.Atheism goes hand in hand with all forms of depravity.Jeffrey Dahmer commited his depraved acts in the name of atheism:"If a person doesn't think there is a God to be accountable to,then whats the point of trying to modify your behaviour to keep it within acceptable ranges?".Back to my original point,the refusal to believe in good and evil.

Try telling that the the RCC ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

All studies will conclude that an atheists sense of what is socially/morally acceptable is dangerously skewed.

If you're going to come out with sh*te like that and tell me that I have no proper sense of what is morally or socially acceptable, I'm going to have to ask you to produce proper evidence for your statement or retract it.

Jeffrey Dahmer commited his depraved acts in the name of atheism

Can you prove that statement? Again, reputable source

Making stuff up is lying in pretty much everyone's moral code, and that is what you are doing. Either provide some proof or stop.

There is nothing "self-defeating" in demanding someone show their cards. It appears you are lying on a massive scale - you have the option to provide proof of your statements or let it become obvious that you are lying. Which I'm sure breaks the moral code of whichever religion you are a member of.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There is nothing "self-defeating" in demanding someone show their cards. It appears you are lying on a massive scale - you have the option to provide proof of your statements or let it become obvious that you are lying. Which I'm sure breaks the moral code of whichever religion you are a member of.

I guess "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour" pretty much covers it.

Zaph wrote: »
    I guess "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour" pretty much covers it.

I'm wearing 2 types of yarn spun together .... the humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Whatever about you Fran, I dont need a god to "modify" my behaviour, I'm a pretty quiet guy in real life, i've never even tortured or maimed anyone(unless you count some of my posts on Boards!).

But you could be right, in that there are plenty of very religious people out there that would be rampant rapists, killers and kiddie fiddlers, if they didnt have their imaginary friend watching them. I'm very glad those people think that god is watching them.

(Actually scratch the kiddie fiddlers, God doesn't seem to mind them so much.:( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    A proper system of accountability and attendance tracking with financial (and possibly internal) penalties for not hitting the targets would do far more to focus minds than prayers

They have that already. It's referred to as the election system. Of course as we know from the electability of Michael Lowry that accountability is local not national.

• Advertisement

Satriale wrote: »
    Whatever about you Fran, I dont need a god to "modify" my behaviour, I'm a pretty quiet guy in real life, i've never even tortured or maimed anyone(unless you count some of my posts on Boards!).

But you could be right, in that there are plenty of very religious people out there that would be rampant rapists, killers and kiddie fiddlers, if they didnt have their imaginary friend watching them. I'm very glad those people think that god is watching them.

(Actually scratch the kiddie fiddlers, God doesn't seem to mind them so much.:( )

That is an odd one alright. But all wizards seem to hate the Gays ... For some reason. :confused:

Advertisement