Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How strict is the BTW scheme?

Options
  • 09-07-2016 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a bike in 2012 thru the BTW scheme. I am eligible to buy a new bike thru the scheme next year, it's every 5 years as far as I know.

The company I work for has the BTW purchase window open for the month of July only this year.

Have folks bought a new bike on the scheme in year 4 of the 5 year time limit? The chancer in me says there should be no problemo buying a new bike this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No you won't be eligible. Doesn't it require your ppsn? I'm sure revenue will see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RossieMan wrote: »
    No you won't be eligible. Doesn't it require your ppsn? I'm sure revenue will see it.

Beasty wouldn't allow it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

RossieMan wrote: »

Revenue will not see it. There is no form for an employer to return to Revenue (maybe there should be, but that's how it is) it managed and administered by employers only.
    If you are in a new employment since first applying in 2012, you could apply again (others will disagree with this, but the legislation says "per employment") and it's been discussed at length already in the Megathread where your post is probably more correct to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

You can make a special application under the "N+1" scheme. The revenue are very understanding.

Seriously though, no it's 5 years you've got to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Every 5 , this is your 5th.
    2012=1
    2013=2
    2014=3
    2015=4
    2016=5th, go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Are you in the same company as buying the first btw bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

ted1 wrote: »
    Every 5 , this is your 5th.
    2012=1
    2013=2
    2014=3
    2015=4
    2016=5th, go for it.
    And as soon as that 5th year is over, OP can go again, but not in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

dogsears wrote: »

Incorrect, it's based on tax years. Look at the mega thread.

Re read and probably correct :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Idleater wrote: »

I bought a bike in December. So, 2010 was considered to be one year

2010 - December bike bought - year 1
    2011 - year 2
    2012 - year 3
    2013 - year 4
    2014 - year 5
    2015 - eligible from Jan 2015.

dogsears wrote: »

That's not what the OP wants to hear ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Idleater wrote: »

I'm the same, bought in May 2012. Eligible again on January 1st 2017. I've queried it with my employer and with revenue and told the same thing by both as I too thought I could go again this year...sadly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

revenue will not see it as their is no notification from the employer to revenue - the deduction is completed by your companies payroll department.
    i am due another one this year and wasn't sure if i was on 5th or 6th year since last one, so spoke to my payroll manager on it. I was going to go to the revenue to check, but was advised they would have no record of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

scheme is full of holes, wouldnt be surprised if you could buy again this year op

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

barryf42 wrote: »
    revenue will not see it as their is no notification from the employer to revenue - the deduction is completed by your companies payroll department.

Remarkably like this:
    Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Revenue will not see it. There is no form for an employer to return to Revenue (maybe there should be, but that's how it is) it managed and administered by employers only.

Have I made posting nirvana ? 😀😀

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    scheme is full of holes, wouldnt be surprised if you could buy again this year op

I changed jobs so can get one, last one I got was 2014, we are moving office so I'll have a 75km daily commute so waiting to see if I need a electric bike as 400km commute could be a bit much. If I'm up to it the Rose Lava looks like it could be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Without wanting to be rude about it, but isn't this simply a tax thing - you're entitled to it only every five years, regardless of job changes, bike being nicked, upgrade requirements etc? So yes, no more than you could lie on your tax forms every year, you could probably cheat the system, but isn't this all against the rules?

It'd seem closer to "legal" to me to get it via someone else's CTW? They might decide after a few weeks that cycling wasn't for them, but again possibly quesionable.

At the same time, as a cyclist I guess the more money going into bike shops to keep them in business the better! :)

g0g wrote: »
    Without wanting to be rude about it, but isn't this simply a tax thing - you're entitled to it only every five years, regardless of job changes, bike being nicked, upgrade requirements etc? So yes, no more than you could lie on your tax forms every year, you could probably cheat the system, but isn't this all against the rules?

It'd seem closer to "legal" to me to get it via someone else's CTW? They might decide after a few weeks that cycling wasn't for them, but again possibly quesionable.

At the same time, as a cyclist I guess the more money going into bike shops to keep them in business the better! :)

There is a loophole that allows you get one if you change employer, Maybe t hey realise needs may be different. Considering that bus and rail Tax saver tickets are worth over a thousand euros a year every year a tax credit worth a max of 80 euro a year to cyclists is fairly miserable.

How often can an employee avail of the scheme?
    The tax exempt benefit-in-kind may only be provided to an individual employee once in any period of five consecutive tax years. The tax year in which the bicycle is provided is counted as the first year.

When you change jobs you cease to be an employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I think we can all agree that Boards is far far stricter on the administration of the scheme than any of the parties involved in actually administering the scheme

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's all covered in the Megathread

OP, it's tax legislation - mess with the Revenue at your peril

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement