Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical fault on condenser dryer?

Options
  • 09-07-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Our condenser drier has stopped working; it's not receiving any power. I've changed plug sockets, changed fuse. An electrician we called said a 'panel' would need replacing which would be just as expensive as buying a new one, is there anything else or obvious you can recommend I check out so I can avoid buying another!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

If one of the mods moves this to the home appliance forum there is a couple of posters on there who would help you better than i can.

Depends on a couple of questions how old is the appliance?What make is it ?
    Is it still under warranty?

If you have the make and model of it you could try the likes of

http://www.exsparetise.com/

They would give you a price and then you might have to pay someone to install it for you.
    Then maybe 6 months down the line the bearings might go in the drum or a belt could go.

If they person you had out to look at it was 100% certain it was the card then maybe it might be worth replacing.

if not http://euronics.ie/category/condenser-dryers/1/
    They start at 249 but usually drop during a sale im sure the likes of harvey normans etc all have similiar if not cheaper prices just picked euronics because there local to me here

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Thanks :) The electrician didn't look at it, he just thought on the phone that it's not worth the effort. It's out of warranty unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Stopped completely or just not heating?

So reading your original post you changed the plug and fuse?
    Do you have a multimeter?
    Is there any visible damage to the flex you can see?

Yes, stopped working completely. I have changed plug socket (just in case) and the fuse within the plug. No visible damage on any of the flex. I can get a multi-meter but don't have one

• Advertisement

Are you confident with using a multimeter darren?
    Would you know how to carry out a continuity check on the flex?
    While the dryer is powered off you could remove the top lid and carry out a continuitycheck from the plugtop to where the mains cable enters the dryer usually there is a mains filter on the machine so makes it easy to bell out the cable cores.

These guys do good videos on youtube just one i came across
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oertUF_oRys&list=PLAB552A2C452F7828&index=32

Other than that that i would not recommend anything else as working with mains voltage can be lethal

Thanks guys, sounds like it is worth getting an electrician anyway rather than just assume it's a dead drier/dryer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thanks guys, sounds like it is worth getting an electrician anyway rather than just assume it's a dead drier/dryer!

Its worth getting someone who is interested in fixing it. Many people including electricians will just not want the hassle of even looking at it. There's not much to go wrong in many of the dryers have you tried googling the model number?

Advertisement