Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seasoning Carbon steel pan

Options
  • 09-07-2016 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got myself a carbon steel frying pan, a small one, just to see what the material is like. The instructions say to wash it in warm soapy water - i did. They say to dry it thoroughly - i did. They say to coat it lightly with oil and put on a hot ring (I have a ceramic hob). I did, and it's only after warping on me!

Can I do anything about this? Is it normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You may find this thread useful. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Thanks but I think that's about cooking with the pan - I've not even got there yet! "Seasoning" the pan on the hob, and it seems to have warped on me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Prenderb wrote: »
    Thanks but I think that's about cooking with the pan - I've not even got there yet! "Seasoning" the pan on the hob, and it seems to have warped on me. :(

You can fix that. If you try to get it back flat, it'll warp again, so what you want is for the base to be slightly concave when you look from the outside (convex and it'll "float" on the hob).

Put the pan top-down on a solid surface (protect the rim with a towel if needs be). Use a wood or hide mallet if you've got them; if not, a hammer and a block of wood. DON'T hit the pan directly with a hammer.

Make the base concave by hitting it in concentric circles, working in from the circumference to the centre, aiming to produce a shallow dip.

See if the pan sits nicely now. If not, bash it a bit more where it's sitting proud.

Course, you could just take the pan back to the shop and get a refund :) .

Advertisement