Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full beams on the motorway

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

shietpilot wrote: »
    Or just DRLs and the rear lights off completely :rolleyes:
    CiniO wrote: »
    What's wrong with that?
    At night time:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

What's wrong with that?

Just yesterday you were saying dipped lights aren't enough :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

At night time:eek:
    shietpilot wrote: »
    Just yesterday you were saying dipped lights aren't enough :P

Oh sorry, I never thought you mentioned night time.

Driving with DRLs on at night time is utter stupid.
    They are only to be used during the day at good weather, and then it makes rear lights on with them unneccessery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The M7, for example, is a dimly lit road to drive at night. I find switching on the foglights provides just enough extra illumination without running the risk of dazzling oncoming drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

chicorytip wrote: »
    The M7, for example, is a dimly lit road to drive at night. I find switching on the foglights provides just enough extra illumination without running the risk of dazzling oncoming drivers.

Foglights wouldn't light much more than 10 meters in front of you if even that much. Not much good when you're traveling at 120/140kph.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Vast majority of motorways in Ireland, Europe and the whole world are unlit.

Belgium is great though. Fully lit motorways. They turn them off at night though..:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

marno21 wrote: »
    Some elements of the M7 west of Portlaoise are difficult to drive on at 120km/h, especially while overtaking a HGV.

I call bullsh1t on that Bro

Rarely use main beams on the motorways ...dipped beams are enough ..it's the eejits with only their PARKING lights on the drives me bonkers....

At night time?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Jesus. wrote: »
    I call bullsh1t on that Bro
    Drive the M7 Castletown-Nenagh section and see how you get on with it.

• Advertisement

I've driven the Limerick road many's a time. Its all well capable of 75mph imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Ah now I've driven the full length of the M7 in vans at more than the posted limit. Its a great road. Perfectly safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I for one regularly drive the M7/8 at night - in fact I'll be doing it within the next hour :)

Most of it is unlit and there are sections that are very dodgy with poor road surfaces (lumpy even) and awkward little "jinks" where minor bends leave you very close to the other lane if you're not aware of it.

I always use the full beams when on a stretch with no other vehicles visible. I always dip though when lights (oncoming or rear) appear ahead of me, but I lose count of the amount of times I have to repeatedly flash some idiot who refuses to return the courtesy. Almost as bad are the ones who hit the full beams when you're only 2/300m ahead after overtaking them (thank crunchie for auto dimming mirrors).

The one plus of travelling at this hour is that certainly the M8 will be virtually deserted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

I travel the full length of m7 nearly once a month the only part is the tolls that it's not possible to do 120 +

Even done it a couple of times in 1 liter yaras in the wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm kind of 50/50 on the full beams, some areas of the motorway fully allow for the full beams where the central reservation is high enough and obviously the common sense element of no car in front of you either. My main concern on an unlit motorway is road debris, I've had a couple of near death experiences with discarded tyres, tyre surrounds from trucks, caravan sunroofs and general debris that if they hit my car I would be off the motorway and I'd be fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

chicorytip wrote: »

Does your back fog light come on to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

he said the f word !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Like some have said the cat's eyes and reflectors on the median, are enough when just driving with dipped headlights. Rarely use the full on the motorway but it looks like I may have to use them going off what people are saying about unseen/non-reflective objects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Mc Love wrote: »
    Like some have said the cat's eyes and reflectors on the median, are enough when just driving with dipped headlights. Rarely use the full on the motorway but it looks like I may have to use them going off what people are saying about unseen/non-reflective objects

It is perfectly possible and safe to drive the motorways on dipped lights, otherwise it would be unsafe to drive them in the dark when it's busy when use of full beams is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

The worst are the gobsh1ts who for some reason think it's not necessary to dip because they are behind a truck, they are very often the same ones that are happy not to overtake and just sit behind you. Obviously they just don't get that as a truck driver you have a huge amount of mirrors which are not auto dimming, they don't dim at all and are all adjusted perfectly to reflect right in your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

RustyNut wrote: »
    The worst are the gobsh1ts who for some reason think it's not necessary to dip because they are behind a truck, they are very often the same ones that are happy not to overtake and just sit behind you. Obviously they just don't get that as a truck driver you have a huge amount of mirrors which are not auto dimming, they don't dim at all and are all adjusted perfectly to reflect right in your face.

I'm not a truck driver, but driving back from Portmarnock one night I had to stop, get out and ask the guy behind me to turn off his full beams. I was trying to turn right and my car was like the spaceship from Close Encounters I literally couldn't see a thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'm not a truck driver, but driving back from Portmarnock one night I had to stop, get out and ask the guy behind me to turn off his full beams. I was trying to turn right and my car was like the spaceship from Close Encounters I literally couldn't see a thing!

I did the same one night on the bridge in Chapelizod. Your one claimed she didn't know how to turn them off as it was her husbands car. So I reached in and turned them off for her. Lo and behold, her dipped beams weren't working.

Advertisement