Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What distro would suit me best?

Options
  • 09-07-2016 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Some background I guess, I'm a college student so I would need a distro that can cover the basics, world processing, presentation making etc along wth video playback and video call/conferences. I know that nearly every distro would be fine for me but I also have a few specific programs I need....

Most importantly would be MATLab and LabView, I NEED to run these. Along with that I mess around with Java and C++.

So, what distro would suit me best?

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

For simplicity I would suggest Linux Mint. It covers all the basics you require, such as Word Processing, Spreadsheets and Presentation. Java is relatively simple to install and you have your choice of IDEs, such as Eclipse, Intellij and Netbeans.

On the other hand, I would also suggest Fedora 22+. Has the ability to run all of the above and I found it to be some what easier to setup Jenkins, Docker, Ansible, Monit and Bugzilla as well. That's just my opinion, so don't take my word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Itzy wrote: »
    For simplicity I would suggest Linux Mint. It covers all the basics you require, such as Word Processing, Spreadsheets and Presentation. Java is relatively simple to install and you have your choice of IDEs, such as Eclipse, Intellij and Netbeans.

On the other hand, I would also suggest Fedora 22+. Has the ability to run all of the above and I found it to be some what easier to setup Jenkins, Docker, Ansible, Monit and Bugzilla as well. That's just my opinion, so don't take my word for it.

Thanks for the reply! I've used Mint previously on a netbook to increase speed and it was pretty enjoyable.

Mostly want to use a distro for a change, essentially have been using Windows all of my life

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Well Linux and Unix are two different things. Are you intent on using Linux Mint or similar? Or are you looking for a Unix flavour? If so, then give Solaris a go. Otherwise, if you're just starting out, then I would go for Linux Mint. You will hear a lot of People suggesting Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu and Arch etc.

If you want to do your own research, then have a look at Distro Watch. You can have a look at various flavours of Linux and BSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Itzy wrote: »
    Well Linux and Unix are two different things. Are you intent on using Linux Mint or similar? Or are you looking for a Unix flavour? If so, then give Solaris a go. Otherwise, if you're just starting out, then I would go for Linux Mint. You will hear a lot of People suggesting Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu and Arch etc.

If you want to do your own research, then have a look at Distro Watch. You can have a look at various flavours of Linux and BSD.

Sorry, I always get Linux/Unix mixed up. I'd be more of a hardware type person.

Part of me wants to learn the workings of an OS etc so that's why I'm asking also.

Well when you feel more confident with Linux as a whole, then check out Linux From Scratch. http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Having looked with my favourite search engine, these might be relevant:
    http://uk.mathworks.com/support/sysreq/current_release/index.html?sec=linux
    www.ni.com/labview/os-support/

Looks like Fedora or OpenSUSE will be the easiest to get both up and running on. In my search I also discovered that NI make Linux RT.
    People seem to manage to get them running on the various Debian forks, but it looks like that takes a little more work.

Given that MatLab and LabView are your core requirements, and you'll find LibreOffice and a host of IDE's on most distro's, you're probably better off going with something that's closer to what they recommend/support.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Fedora has some scientific labs of its main product distro which is currently Fedora 24
    Have not looked into them myself just know they exist, maybe that's what you looking for.
    https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/
    https://labs.fedoraproject.org/
    Fedora Labs is a selection of curated bundles of purpose-driven software and content as curated and maintained by members of the Fedora Community. These may be installed as standalone full versions of Fedora or as add-ons to existing Fedora installations.

Advertisement