Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine router and home network

Options
  • 09-07-2016 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Not sure if I have the right forum but here goes. Excuse my innocence on this matter.

I will be getting imagine broadband shortly. The router will supplied with broadband from the external antennae. I am wondering how I can create internet points around the house.

I have telephone points in all rooms in my house. Can I simply plug a wire from the back of the imagine router into the telephone cable in the room where the router is in and will I then have Internet access in the telephone sockets in other rooms, supplied from the imagine router.

This might be a stupid question but if I could get any help it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Pious14 wrote: »
    Not sure if I have the right forum but here goes. Excuse my innocence on this matter.

I will be getting imagine broadband shortly. The router will supplied with broadband from the external antennae. I am wondering how I can create internet points around the house.

I have telephone points in all rooms in my house. Can I simply plug a wire from the back of the imagine router into the telephone cable in the room where the router is in and will I then have Internet access in the telephone sockets in other rooms, supplied from the imagine router.

This might be a stupid question but if I could get any help it would be greatly appreciated.

People are allowed to ask whatever they want - there's no stupid questions here (well unless you're a troll of course ;)).

I'm afraid that won't work as telephone cabling will not support the type of networking you are trying to do.

You would need to wire RJ45 sockets in every room with Cat 5e cabling, which is probably going to be very expensive.

If the Wi-Fi wont do you (and it probably wont from what we're hearing about the Imagine router), then you can use Homeplugs. Something along these lines might work (depending on the wiring in your house). If they don't then you could return them.

With these you connect one near your router and the other in a room you want wired internet and bobs your uncle. AFAIK you could buy two pairs and that would give you wired access in 3 rooms.

You can also get the types that give you a wireless signal in the remote room, but they are more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Telephone cables are not designed to carry data signals, this is best done with ethernet cable. One option is to use homeplugs to distribute connectivity via your power wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    People are allowed to ask whatever they want - there's no stupid questions here (well unless you're a troll of course ;)).

I'm afraid that won't work as telephone cabling will not support the type of networking you are trying to do.

You would need to wire RJ45 sockets in every room with Cat 5e cabling, which is probably going to be very expensive.

If the Wi-Fi wont do you (and it probably wont from what we're hearing about the Imagine router), then you can use Homeplugs. Something along these lines might work (depending on the wiring in your house). If they don't then you could return them.

With these you connect one near your router and the other in a room you want wired internet and bobs your uncle. AFAIK you could buy two pairs and that would give you wired access in 3 rooms.

You can also get the types that give you a wireless signal in the remote room, but they are more expensive.

Thanks for your reply. Am I right in saying that if I had a fixed line connection (ie. Eircom) that I could connect a router at each telephone point?

Also, with the TP link device-would these cause any decrease in speeds?

Thanks for your reply. Am I right in saying that if I had a fixed line connection (ie. Eircom) that I could connect a router at each telephone point?

For ADSL yes, provided you use a filter, for VDSL no, only at the master socket.

Homeplug speeds will vary depending on the 'quality' of your home wiring but it will always be less than your incoming speed.

degsie wrote: »
    For ADSL yes, provided you use a filter, for VDSL no, only at the master socket.

Homeplug speeds will vary depending on the 'quality' of your home wiring but it will always be less than your incoming speed.

Great thanks. Final question. With home plug can I connect another router to this to create another wireless output?

• Advertisement

Great thanks. Final question. With home plug can I connect another router to this to create another wireless output?

If you configure it as an Access Point it should work fine.

I am just looking at my "telephone sockets" - it looks like I have the RJ45 connection mentioned-similar connection to the attached photo. Does this make any difference?

I am just looking at my "telephone sockets" - it looks like I have the RJ45 connection mentioned-similar connection to the attached photo. Does this make any difference?

It would depend how they are interconnected. Is this an apartment? Might already be pre-wired for Magnet broadband, for example.

It would depend how they are interconnected. Is this an apartment? Might already be pre-wired for Magnet broadband, for example.

It's a new build house but I think wiring is only going to the telephone box at the side of the house (the outside box)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NB: important distinction, you could put one at any socket but not every socket, only one modem could operate on the line.
    It's a new build house but I think wiring is only going to the telephone box at the side of the house (the outside box)

Take one of the face plates of and snap a pic, and outside i you can. If they've done it properly(16 wires to each faceplate) then you'll have most of the work already done. If its wired an obsolete phone ring then you could probably reterminate to make them useful.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    NB: important distinction, you could put one at any socket but not every socket, only one modem could operate on the line.

Take one of the face plates of and snap a pic, and outside i you can. If they've done it properly(16 wires to each faceplate) then you'll have most of the work already done. If its wired an obsolete phone ring then you could probably reterminate to make them useful.

Outside pic and socket pic. Not sure what the purpose of outside box is

Outside box probably has coax (tv?) feed from street and telephone feed from cabinet/exchange. Socket has only six pins, so not ethernet complaint.

Outside box probably has coax (tv?) feed from street and telephone feed from cabinet/exchange. Socket has only six pins, so not ethernet complaint.

Balls!! I assume new wiring would be required to get 8 pins? Looks like my only option is the TP link device

Opened up phone socket and these wires were behind. Are these cat 5 wires?

Opened up phone socket and these wires were behind. Are these cat 5 wires?
    Looks like ethernet wiring ok, unsure if cat5, cat5e or other. It's usually printed along the cable.

Any idea where these would all connect/meet?

Any idea where these would all connect/meet?

Impossible to tell unless you use a wire tracer or start looking for all termination points. Plus, some of the wires could have been used for an alarm system or phone points.

Impossible to tell unless you use a wire tracer or start looking for all termination points. Plus, some of the wires could have been used for an alarm system or phone points.

Solved it. I have wires running to three rooms, which all feed back to the hall. Stupid having them there but that's done now.

As imagine router needs the power fed to it I will need to have the router at one of the external walls. Most probably in sitting room which has an Ethernet connection.

My question now is whether I can plug the Ethernet into the back of the router and supply the feed in the hall with a switch and feed the rest of the Ethernet connections or is there any easier option?

My question now is whether I can plug the Ethernet into the back of the router and supply the feed in the hall with a switch and feed the rest of the Ethernet connections or is there any easier option?

That's probably the easiest solution, remember that the switch would need a power source also.

Advertisement