Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP 4000 s11 question

Options
  • 09-07-2016 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭

Lads,

If some of ye have the above tyres you might have a look at the side walls and tell me I'm not losing it. I'd consider these tyres quality but the wear is a tad off putting. Tyres checked before every ride and usually around 100-110psi

Does this wear appear normal? tyre seems to be separating about 2mm above clincher rim.

I have 3 sets on various wheels and various sizes and all seem to have different levels of wear. The most mileage on any of them is approx 3000km and least probably 400km but wear indicators are all counter sunk and not level.

20160709_155028_zpsplsmb3u0.jpg

20160709_155057_zpsivvbxrer.jpg

20160709_155124_zpsliknuemx.jpg

20160709_155132_zpslfzsqnjd.jpg

20160709_155340_zpsyilrogfb.jpg

Mods pics are all massive I'll delete once I get a few responses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Mine are doing that on both 23mm and 25mm versions. Same thing on a set of 4 Seasons on my commuter. Not a brake pad contact issue as I make sure that mine are centered on the rims. I keep an eye on it but I'm not overly worried about the tyre separating just yet/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Had the same problem with a pair of GP4000's and also on a pair of Gators. Couldn't figure it out. There was no brake contact or any other contact. Design fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

No pad issue on mine either if anything the pads are on the low side. A bit disconcerting but presumably just a thin/weak point on the tyre.

Had the same problem with a pair of GP4000's and also on a pair of Gators. Couldn't figure it out. There was no brake contact or any other contact. Design fault?

I might fire off the pics to continental see what comes of it. I have 3 pairs all with varying degrees of separation so presumably not a one off. It might well be a design flaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mine are like that two, ive gone completely of contis are have gone with cheap Michellin Liithum and find them more reliable at half the price

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

ted1 wrote: »
    Mine are like that two, ive gone completely of contis are have gone with cheap Michellin Liithum and find them more reliable at half the price

Gone off them too, had one develop a bulge in the centre only 6 weeks old with little to no wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭G1032

Same thing happened me with two of those tyres. One of them also developed a bulge in it. I won't be buying them again.

G1032 wrote: »
    Same thing happened me with two of those tyres. One of them also developed a bulge in it. I won't be buying them again.

I think I'll switch back to vittoria this is the second such split I've picked up on these. to be fair I expect this to happen from time to time but unfortunately this is one of the lower mileage tyres. :(

20160709_154958_zpsybmkctam.jpg

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I might fire off the pics to continental see what comes of it....
    I thought it was just me as the GP4000's seem to have achieved a God like status in this parish whereas they are the worst tyre I've ever had - as well as the trouble described above, I've punctured in almost every ride I've used them.
    ted1 wrote: »
    ... ive gone completely of contis..
    Same here - rode Gators for several years but gave them up earlier this year after numerous punctures and blow outs.
    I think I'll switch back to vittoria..
    Switched to Vitorias recently on the summer bike, Durano Plus on the long hauler, and Tannus solids on the commuter! Very satisfied to date. Probably jinxed myself now! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Same on my GP 4000s.

Just kept riding on them. Never experienced an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

@ Wishbone Ash - how do you find the Tannus's? I've got through a couple of GP4000's recently - with hardly any miles on either of them - and would consider them for my commuter, especially as I'll be commuting in NCD in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have used Gp 4000's on my bikes for years and I have never had any problems. I use them all year round and I find they are a great tyre. I've used Vittoria and Michelin also. Both of these gave me nothing but heartache!

IMO GP4000's are hard to beat.

Is that not a bit unfair? If you hit a pothole hard enough, you could damage any tyre? or are you saying the bulge in the tyre wall was a manufacturer defect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Is that not a bit unfair? If you hit a pothole hard enough, you could damage any tyre? or are you saying the bulge in the tyre wall was a manufacturer defect?

The qualities that make gp4000 nice to ride comes at the price of an occasional delicate sidewall. Same for 4 season.

Currently riding 28mm 4000 and they are perfect for the "surfaces" I tend to seek out.

If you want durable, and don't mind the weight penalty (and maybe 10W penalty) ride durano or durano plus.

IMO GP4000's are hard to beat.

Ordinarily I'd have agreed with you but I've definitely noticed a decline in the quality. Perhaps since they've introduced this new rubber compound.

I ran vittoria evo corsa tyres previously and never had an issue with malformation or cracking of the tyres but they were very soft and picked up numerous small nicks.

@ Wishbone Ash - how do you find the Tannus's? I've got through a couple of GP4000's recently - with hardly any miles on either of them - and would consider them for my commuter, especially as I'll be commuting in NCD in a couple of months.
    Very happy with them to date but that's only 2,500k. Ride is not as harsh as I expected and great peace of mind. They are a bit heavier than normal tyres but that is offset by not having to carry spare tubes, pump, levers etc. They are expensive though - working out at €160 for a pair including fitting. Grip seems fine although I don't push it on a wet bend/roundabout.

(They are supposed to be available in a wide range of colours but black seems to be the only one easily available).

Ordinarily I'd have agreed with you but I've definitely noticed a decline in the quality. Perhaps since they've introduced this new rubber compound.

I ran vittoria evo corsa tyres previously and never had an issue with malformation or cracking of the tyres but they were very soft and picked up numerous small nicks.

Yeah I had Vittoria Evo's before...binned them as I couldn't leave the house without getting a puncture! Horses for courses I suppose, but the GP2000 work for me. Yes, I've had a few punctures, but there the only tyre I've ever used that I had to replace because they were worn out.

.. the only tyre I've ever used that I had to replace because they were worn out.
    I haven't had that luxury for years. When we were youngsters we'd be riding tyres until the cloth was showing through yet punctures seemed to be rarer then.

I haven't had that luxury for years. When we were youngsters we'd be riding tyres until the cloth was showing through yet punctures seemed to be rarer then.

We were carrying less weight back then! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭G1032

No. I don't think it's unfair. Manufacturer defect. Too many reports of the same and the sidewall issues. A mate of mine also had the same issues and won't go back to GP4000's either.

I will say they were super comfortable but they come at a premium price and are not reliable enough for me for the money they cost.

The Durano Plus Smartguard was recommended to me by a guy in the LBS and I've found them a great tyre so far (I think about 5,000km on the front one so far and still going strong).

• Advertisement

No. I don't think it's unfair. Manufacturer defect. Too many reports of the same and the sidewall issues. A mate of mine also had the same issues and won't go back to GP4000's either.

Too Many reports?? there isn't a tyre made that hasn't had a bulge in the tyre wall. It can happen any tyre brand, any tyre size. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Mine are showing signs of wear now too. After maybe 2500km? Only two punctures so far.

There's a slight tear in the side wall on the back one which doesn't seem to be going all the way through (think I'll keep it on the back in case it fails!). I'm keeping an eye on it. Although I should probably consider chucking it.

IMG_20160711_122237.jpg

Jesus - I wouldn't ride on that! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I thought it was just me as the GP4000's seem to have achieved a God like status in this parish whereas they are the worst tyre I've ever had - as well as the trouble described above, I've punctured in almost every ride I've used them.

Same here - rode Gators for several years but gave them up earlier this year after numerous punctures and blow outs.

Switched to Vitorias recently on the summer bike, Durano Plus on the long hauler, and Tannus solids on the commuter! Very satisfied to date. Probably jinxed myself now! :eek:

Also curious along with triggermortis - how do you find the tannus tyres? Curious about getting these for my commuter bike. How are they to ride? What size is optimal - 28?

Edit: oops missed your post above. Will still ask about size - does it matter?

Teeing up a "witty" response there I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I have the same marks on one of my Conti Grand Prix GTs. I never inflated them over 100 psi. I switched it to the back, I think I'd handle a rear wheel blow out better than the front.

Fian wrote: »
    ...Edit: oops missed your post above. Will still ask about size - does it matter? ....
    I have them in 23's for 2 main reasons - weight and easier to fit mudguards.

I presume 25/28's would be more comfortable (although heavier).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Michelin pro 3. Cheap, light, good lasting and most importantly performant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Michelin pro 3. Cheap, light, good lasting and most importantly performant

I'm a fan of Michelin Pro4 Service Course. My last rear tyre covered 5,100km and only punctured twice. The front, still on the bike has over 5,900km and has only punctured once.

I'm waiting on a new pair of Michelin Pro4 V2 Endurance from CRC - €28.99 each with a free Michelin tube.

I find the Michelin tyres excellent. They roll well (if a bit noisy but I kind of like that). I see no reason to change.

In fact I'm always sort of surprised that there isn't more love here for the French rubber.

EDIT: Just for clarity - I've never used Contis so I'm unable to make an informed comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I have GP4000 SII on rear wheel and sidewalls showing the same wear pattern. Mine also had very thin stringy bits fraying off and I used a lighter to burn them back.

I pump my tyres before every ride and don't suffer too many punctures but I do sportives on what can best be described as crappy roads. The tyre has good mileage on it but not worn out as can still see dimples. TBH, I took it as a sign tyre needed replacing but interesting to see number of people here with similar wear pattern,

I was running a winter rear wheel with gatorskins and don't (yet) have this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had been a firm fan of Michelin Pro4's but bought into all the hype and changed to GP4000's. They've been on the bike for approx 400km and I got a puncture in the rear today. The sidewall is cut right through and whatever ripped it made shīté of a new latex tube also. i had to buy a new tyre and tube and went for a GP4000 again but once these are done I'm going back to Michelin's. Very disappointed as I have no idea what cut the tyre as there was nothing on the road that I could see.

Advertisement