Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test - 6 month rule

Options
  • 09-07-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Iv held my permit for 3 months , can i apply for the driving test now as waiting times are 12+ weeks on average in my area ?

So that way on the day/month of the test ill have held my permit for 6 months ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

once you've had the twelve lessons, I think you're safe to apply now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

this is for the motorbike cat now (have full car) . i have my 18 hours IBT done. my instructor just said to me you need 6 months on your permit before u can sit the test.

to make it short : im wondering do you have to wait 6 months before booking the test , or can you book the test early and show up on a date that will show you have held a permit for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

You should be able to book at any time after your instructor has uploaded your completed lessons. I booked my Class B test a few months after I got my permit. I do have an exemption letter, as I have a full US license, but they never asked about that or about my permit issue date when booking the test. Just remember that you won't be able to sit the test itself unless your license is six calendar months old (e.g. January 1st license can take the test on July 1st or later). If they do end up scheduling you for a date that's inside six months, you'll have to cancel (at least ten days ahead, or else you'll lose your fee) and reschedule.

I booked mine on May 18th this year and just now got a test date of August 13th, and only got that by calling a few times a week looking for cancellation slots, so they're definitely a bit behind their 10-week goal for the waiting period right now, at least in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

pudzey101 wrote: »
    this is for the motorbike cat now (have full car) . i have my 18 hours IBT done. my instructor just said to me you need 6 months on your permit before u can sit the test.

to make it short : im wondering do you have to wait 6 months before booking the test , or can you book the test early and show up on a date that will show you have held a permit for 6 months

You can put down that you are unavailable to sit the test till the 6 months are up.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/6-Month-Rule/

Usually you have to wait 6 months after the date of issue of your permit to apply for your test, but there are exemptions.

Your best bet it to ring them directly and clarify your own situation.

Edit: actually, just try apply online. You have to put in your driver number. If you are not eligible to apply for that particular category, I don't think it lets you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 marckx

dennyk wrote: »
    I booked my Class B test a few months after I got my permit. I do have an exemption letter, as I have a full US license, but they never asked about that or about my permit issue date when booking the test.

dennyk - can you give any more information on the exemption letter? I have a full license in New York State, and their DMV website says they don't provide such letters, but that I could get an "abstract" that might be acceptable. Did you have just your letter and US drivers license when you applied for the learners permit? And I assume you did have to get the full 12 hours of EDT?

marckx wrote: »
    dennyk - can you give any more information on the exemption letter? I have a full license in New York State, and their DMV website says they don't provide such letters, but that I could get an "abstract" that might be acceptable. Did you have just your letter and US drivers license when you applied for the learners permit? And I assume you did have to get the full 12 hours of EDT?

The letter you need is what they call a "letter of entitlement", basically just a piece of paperwork from the licensing authority showing your personal details, license number and expiration date, and driving record. I had my Georgia driver's license and a motor vehicle history report that I'd gotten from the Georgia DMV before I moved showing that data and my (lack of) driving citations. It did not describe the license class, but the class definition was printed on the reverse of the license itself, so evidently that was suitable. I have no idea how picky they are about the details, but you can email the RSA and they're pretty good about answering questions. Based on the example provided on NY's DMV site, I'd guess that their driving record abstract would probably suffice; it looks almost identical to my motor vehicle history report.

You don't need the letter or your license to apply for the learner's permit or to book your test. You do need to have your 12 hours of EDT lessons completed and uploaded to the RSA by your instructor before you can book a test, though. If you want to be exempted from the six month waiting period before you can sit your test, you need to send your foreign license and the letter of entitlement to the RSA via post. They'll send them back within a week or so along with a letter of exemption (if they approve), which you'll have to bring to your driving test. Honestly, with the ridiculous wait times and all, it may not make a difference in the end; I'm taking mine about a week before my six-month period is up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Does the 6 month requirement for the bike test apply if you have a full licence for a car like the OP says he has?

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Who does it apply to

It applies to first-time learner permit holders for:

cars
    motorcycles
    works vehicles (eg, tractors, JCBs)

Exemptions
    Where you opt to take Progressive Access (where you have held the lower category for a minimum of 2 years) from category A1 to A2 or Category A2 to A and wish to take a driving test, you do not need to wait six months to sit the driving test.

Nothing about going from category B to A.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

There is no longer a requirement for a person who holds a learner permit in category BE to hold the permit for 6 months before sitting their driving test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 shijoct

Hi, please tell me if I have to call rsa to get exemption from 6 month rule since I have full license from India. I am waiting for the learners license applied on 19/02/18. They gave a number to contact RSA but I didn't since I am waiting for the entitlment letter from India.

To get the exemption letter allowing you to skip the six-month waiting period, you must send your current foreign license and your letter of entitlement from India to the RSA via post; they will send your license back in a week or two along with your exemption letter. You'd then take that letter with you to your driving test if you manage to schedule one within the six-month period. See this page for the address you'll need to send it to (under the "Exceptions" section).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pharney

Hi I just renewd my learner permit, can somebody tell me if I need to do 6 month wait and driving lessons again?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Seadin

What the story if you are doing the car and trailer test? Do you need to do 12 lessons with the trailer as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Raichų

You can place yourself on the wait list if you want but until all requirements are met you won’t be given any invites.

My instructor reckoned when I was learning that if you were on the wait list before lessons were finished (and 6 months passed) you get an app faster than if you join it afterwards.

Not sure if it’s true cos I just checked and booked when a date came up due to cancellation!

No. If you let the permit expire too long that you had to resit the theory test you might though

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭WildWater

No, you do not. I did the BE last year and there was no requirement to take any lessons. I did take a couple of lessons as I didn't have access to a suitable rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭User1998

8 year old thread guys ..

Advertisement