Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is your worst Republic of Ireland XI of all time?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

SantryRed wrote: »
    Bollocks.

85 caps for us. Without his goals in this campaign we wouldn't have been in France.

He's been incredibly frustrating throughout his career and his form has noticeably dipped in the past two years. But he shouldn't be anywhere near this discussion.

85 caps and he's remembered for one game against Georgia. 85 Caps!!! F*ckin hell. I cant remember anything he's done in the other 84. He deserves to be mentioned - he's had so many opportunities and has so little to show for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think its fair to say that McGeady divides opinion among the Irish support, although I'd never put him in the worse team of all time when you've got genuine one cap wonders who are playing at a level or have played at a level nowhere near where McGeady has for club or country.

Yes, hes a very frustrating player and hes had some poor games for us and would drive ya to hyperbolic sentences but hes nowhere near our worse XI performers, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Green would be nowhere near our worst 11. Neither would Mcshane but I'm sure he'll get a lot of mentions here..

Depends on generations and the ages of the people posting. All time XI is difficult as there is plenty of people who won't have been around in the 80's 70's etc.

Like for me, 28 years old, Paul Green is by far the worst midfielder I've ever seen play for Ireland. He was a real personification of the low point Irish football was in, that this Euros campaign has somewhat lifted marginally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This guy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_O%27Brien

Saw him vs Holland in the old Lansdowne back in 2006. Awful footballer.

Himself, Connor Salmon, Aidan O Brien, Joey USA chap and Paul McShane immediately spring to mind. Making a XI is tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

kfallon wrote: »
    Paul Butler centre back. Paddy Kenny in goal?

I'm sure there ha e been plenty worse than Kenny. He didn't at all look the part which never helps silly as it might sound, and maybe I am misremembering but I seem to recall him being a reasonably consistent, chanpionship/newly promoted premiership level of player for a bit. It also didn't help that he was the understudy to probably our best goalkeeper ever (with all due respect to Packie Bonner).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who remembers Gerry Ryan (no not him) this guy

played for Brighton and a few times for Ireland he was pretty dire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

fryup wrote: »
    who remembers Gerry Ryan (no not him) this guy

played for Brighton and a few times for Ireland he was pretty dire

He actually looks a little bit like the other Gerry Ryan, in his younger days.
    Has anybody ever seen them both in the same room ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm sure there ha e been plenty worse than Kenny. He didn't at all look the part which never helps silly as it might sound, and maybe I am misremembering but I seem to recall him being a reasonably consistent, chanpionship/newly promoted premiership level of player for a bit. It also didn't help that he was the understudy to probably our best goalkeeper ever (with all due respect to Packie Bonner).

He was abysmal in that Cyprus debacle and tbh if I was picking a worst Ireland XI I'd base it solely on performances for Ireland and not their club career!

Shay Given was by far our best ever keeper alright, Packie Bonner was nothing but a very, very average goalkeeper, dumped us out of 2 World Cups!

Not sure to many would agree, but I always groaned whenever I saw Steven Reid's name on the timesheet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not sure to many would agree, but I always groaned whenever I saw Steven Reid's name on the timesheet.

Really? Thought he was one of our better midfielders in the early Trap days when he was fit.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Ah here, Reid was a decent player, his main problem was injuries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

He is one of those "what might have been" players for Ireland if he could stay fit. Really liked him as a player.

Joey Lapira is definitely the worst. A few we've seen more in the last few years the really frustrated me Jon Douglas, Connor Sammons, Paul Green, Cillian Sheridan, Keith Andrews (can't believe how long he was a regular) Curtis Fleming, Noel Hunt, Alan Maybury and Martin Rowlands.

I could almost make a team out of that lot actually although I'd be stuck for a keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

duffman13 wrote: »
    He is one of those "what might have been" players for Ireland if he could stay fit. Really liked him as a player.

Joey Lapira is definitely the worst. A few we've seen more in the last few years the really frustrated me Jon Douglas, Connor Sammons, Paul Green, Cillian Sheridan, Keith Andrews (can't believe how long he was a regular) Curtis Fleming, Noel Hunt, Alan Maybury and Martin Rowlands.

I could almost make a team out of that lot actually although I'd be stuck for a keeper.

You'd need more than a keeper with that lot!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Yip, Moran, McCarthy, Staunton, Houghton, Townsend, McGrath, Sheedy, Aldridge & Cascarino should ALL definitely be in the worst XI......

The performance produced by those "stars" that day must rank as our worst ever.

chicorytip wrote: »
    The performance produced by those "stars" that day must rank as our worst ever.

Liechtenstein away was worse, I'd argue San Marino was too! Egypt drew with reigning European Champions, Holland, and were narrowly beaten by England in that group also.

• Advertisement

Liechtenstein away was worse,.

Seems the team that drew 0-0 with Liechtenstein was actually a strong line-up....

shareasimage-96.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Nalz wrote: »
    This guy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_O%27Brien

Saw him vs Holland in the old Lansdowne back in 2006. Awful footballer.

It's sad to say but I have to agree with this one. Bags of pace but not good enough at the international level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

duffman13 wrote: »

Keith Andrews was the only player who came out of Euro 2012 with any credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Don't like these kind of pointless debates. Usually the worst XI should only include those on the fringes of the national side over the years who are technically very limited. Usually a sub appearance in a friendly is the best they'll get.

When I see the top international names mentioned then it's time to leave the thread...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I have some vague memory of a Galway Utd player being on the same plane as the international squad on the way to that tournament in America and they decided to give him a runout in a game for the craic. Jog any memories?

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »
    I have some vague memory of a Galway Utd player being on the same plane as the international squad on the way to that tournament in America and they decided to give him a runout in a game for the craic. Jog any memories?

Johnny Glynn I think it was. Scored the winner in an FAI Cup final around that time! Think he went to watch an Ireland training session and was introduced to Jack Charlton and ended up on the bench for one of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Keith Andrews was the only player who came out of Euro 2012 with any credit.

Ye he was irelands best player at that tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pat Scully capped versus Tunisia in 1988 while playing for Arseanl's reserves ahead of David O'Leary who was actually playing for Arsenal!

And to think Charlton called Dunphy a bitter little man. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭Worztron

Phil Babb definitely at CB.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Just came across this thread and just before I hastily unfollow it, I think I have just read some of the biggest load of b*llox in a long time!!!

Advertisement