Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The Final - Portugal vs France, 20:00, RTE, TV3, BBC, ITV

• 10-07-2016 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ronaldo-pogba-euro-2016-final-portugal-france_3739966.jpg?20160708133417

Portugal vs France

8:00pm Sunday 10th July
    Stade De France

The Final

And then there were two.

We've had several weeks of international football and a plethora of memorable moments: Payet's beautiful strike, that Shaqiri goal, that Robbie Brady header, Roy Keane smiling, Jogi Loew scratching, Iceland beating England, Portugal and Hungary's goalfest, Wales making history...and who knows what's in store for us on Sunday.

Portugal will be looking to do to France what Greece did to them in '04: spoil the host's party plans. They have been boosted by the news that the hugely popular Pepe will be fit after his thigh problem, while William Carvalho returns after his suspension.

France, the host nation and strong favourites, have a full team to choose from and all eyes will be on Deschamps's team selection. Will he start Kante this time, or stick with the team he put out to play Germany?

Will Ronaldo get his moment of glory on the international scene at last, or will it be Lloris that raises the trophy high in front of a jubilant nation?

Your telly options

The channel you watch the game on is another interesting call to be made. On RTE, you can witness John Giles analysing his last match - well, on this channel, at least. Will there be tears from Dunphy and Liam? Possibly when it dawns on Liam he may have to get used to Richie Sadlier from now on, or for Eamo, when it dawns on him Kenny Cunningham's angry eyebrows may soon have him in their sights. RTE start their coverage at 18:30.

TV3's big attempt to woo you is the appearance of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill, who is set to give his thoughts on our recent campaign. TV3's coverage starts at 18:00.

The BBC's big sell is likely to be Thierry Henry; so brace yourself for a big grin from him, or a face like thunder by the evening's end. BBC's coverage starts at 19:00.

ITV are a decent wildcard option. A Roy Keane appearance is listed in the TV Guide, alongside Ryan Giggs, Ian Wright and Lee Dixon, so that could make for compelling viewing. As I'm not able to get this channel this one won't be an option for me, though I can check into the happenings on 'Love Island' at half-time. Cheers for that, UTV Ireland. For ITV viewers their coverage starts at 19:00 also.

Predictions...

I picked Portugal before the tournament and can win a decent sum if they do the business so I will stick with them, but I'm not confident tbh. I see France as about 60% likely to win. I don't think it will be a one-sided game the way some do.

Portugal can hurt France, particularly at the wide areas, and if they can get some good deliveries into Ronaldo then anything can happen. I see France getting some joy against Portugal's back line, even with Pepe back, and I just can't see Portugal keeping a clean sheet. If Portugal are to have a chance I reckon they need at least two goals - that could take it to extra-time where a moment of magic, or a mistake may settle it.

I'll go out on a limb and say 2-2 over 90 minutes with Nani to break French hearts in Extra-Time. I'll probably be way off but what the hell.

What are your thoughts on the result, and which channel will you be watching?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fancy a 1-1 in 90mins, nothing in the extra time, then France to win the penalty shootout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hoping for a Portugal win. France have not been kind to Ireland in recent times. (Football wise)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I don't particularly want Portugal to win, I just want to see Griezman lose purely on the basis of that celebration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Everything has been set up to help the hosts to win it, so on the basis of fairness I hope that Portugal win. Though I'd say the administration will do everything within their capability to prevent that from happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Hoping for a Portugal win. France have not been kind to Ireland in recent times. (Football wise)

But if France wins, it would mean that Ireland has been beaten by the eventual winners each time we've been there. That's something to be proud of?:confused:

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    beaten by the eventual winners each time we've been there. That's something to be proud of?:confused:

I really dont get how fans consistently throw up this nonsense of how it is significant that "we were beaten by the eventual winners". What is that even supposed to mean, that we would have won the thing if we hadnt met France. We also lost 3-0 to Belgium, who lost 3-1 to Wales, I dont hear a lot of people citing that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Hope France win because Pepe is the biggest cock in football and Ronaldo an arrogant tw*t. Griezman and Kante are two players I've really enjoyed watching over the last season and would love to see them with winners medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Jaysus what to channel to watch it on is some dilemma? Giles last game v O'Neill on TV 3. Tv3 build up I think, then the match and analysis on rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Even though he is arrogant,for the career he has had I would not mind seeing Ronaldo lead Portugal to victory with a pile driver in extra time.
    For me Portugal have better choice of match winners on bench to bring on to change the game.
    Will watch game on RTE and flick between it and Roy Keane giving dirty looks to Lee Dixon for 'Pizza Gate' on ITV:).....for halftime analysis.
    Best analyst by a mile throughout the Championships has being Didi Hamann on TV3.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Jaysus what to channel to watch it on is some dilemma? Giles last game v O'Neill on TV 3. Tv3 build up I think, then the match and analysis on rte.

Its been the British channels all the way for the coverage for me this tournament, switching back to RTE for their analysis. Simply because I can no lnger stand George Hamilton or Jim Beglin.

I refuse to watch TV3 for game or analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BBC 1 80%
    ITV 20%
    RTE 2 85%
    TV3 15%

Portugal 1 - 1 France

NIMAN wrote: »
    Simply because I can no lnger stand George Hamilton or Jim Beglin..

I do feel sorry for the guy about what happened in his own career, I dont know where Beglin got that accent, but he always reminds me of a D4 head giving out about homeless people.

Simply because I can no lnger stand George Hamilton or Jim Beglin..

I do feel sorry for the guy about what happened in his own career, I dont know where Beglin got that accent, but he always reminds me of a D4 student giving out about homeless people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Grizemann to score two or more @ 9/1 what do you reckon a good punt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

fryup wrote: »
    Grizemann to score two or more @ 9/1 what do you reckon a good punt?

Terrible punt if based on stats. Since Fernando Santos took over (and excluding friendlies) they've only conceded more than 1 goal once - that mad Hungry game.

but Grizemann is on fire at the mo

feck it! i'm going for it.. throw in €20 c'mon Antoinne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

On the basis that Portugal have Ronaldo, Pepe and Nani I'm hoping for a French win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Will be watching on RTE, I don't really get the Hamilton/Beglin hate to be honest. At a push I'd go with the ITV commentary over the BBC. TV3 should not be allowed do live sport!

Hoping for a France win, can't support a team with Pepe and Ronaldo (the footballer - the man seems alright, does a lot for charity, but jaysus his on field BS is something else) in it.

Going to go for a 2-1 France win AET. Knowing my luck lately Ronaldo will get a last minute winner with his 1st goal from a direct free kick in 42,367 attempts!!

As dispicable as Pepe is as an individual, he's had a damn fine tournament and has proved he's a good footballer when he puts his mind to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hard to believe it has been a month since France 2-1 Romania in the opener. :eek:

• Advertisement

Interesting that Pogba is now the face of French football (as in the title on this thread) but he's been about their 8th best player this tournament.

Marketing and hype works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Hope Portugal hit France with a sucker punch! They'll keep it tight and look to counter attack. I quite fancy them to do it 1-0 or 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I really dont get how fans consistently throw up this nonsense of how it is significant that "we were beaten by the eventual winners". What is that even supposed to mean, that we would have won the thing if we hadnt met France. We also lost 3-0 to Belgium, who lost 3-1 to Wales, I dont hear a lot of people citing that one.

No. It just makes it a little more palatable to be knocked out by the champions, rather than, say, Albania. Just a little observation is all it is anyway, nothing to get knickers in a twist over. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I don't particularly want Portugal to win, I just want to see Griezman lose purely on the basis of that celebration

I want to see him and Ronaldo lose purely on the basis of their celebrations ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Interesting that Pogba is now the face of French football (as in the title on this thread) but he's been about their 8th best player this tournament.

Marketing and hype works.
    :confused:

Griezmann is THE face of French football (*). Pogba even accepted now to play in his shadow. The whole team is now built around Griezmann. And the best example of that is it's no longer a debate Pogba playing on the right.

And UEFA website rightfully pictured their preview with the number 7 from both teams (=> ).

(*) And it was already the case before the Euro. Whatever about Pogba's hype, he's performing in a team that over-dominates its league (a league that lost its 90ies lustre) while Griezmann became the star player of a "second string" team in the current best league in the World.

-

Anyway. To come back to the final. Not many French support in here :pac:... Worst possible final for us considering Paris is the second most important Portuguese city in the world (:p). Their playing style won't suit us. They are maybe more eager than any other team to win it considering Portugal's importance in the History of football and their blank record with the national team. Winning it in France would mean a lot to several of their binational players too (Guerrero, Lopes). There's the tough history with us too (1984 and most importatly 2000 and 2006).
    And if we're to believe in this season of premieres (Leicester, Iceland, Wales etc...) and curse-breaking (Germany knocking Italy out, us beating Germany) than Portugal must beat us...

As dispicable as Pepe is as an individual, he's had a damn fine tournament and has proved he's a good footballer when he puts his mind to it.

why what did he do :confused: fill me in please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Think France will run riot here 3-0 with a few more Griezmann goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

LiamoSail wrote: »
    , I just want to see Griezman lose purely on the basis of that celebration

Its not as bad as Ronaldo's celebration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I really want France to win.

If Ronaldo scores the winner you might want to get the kids out of the room because he'll ride himself to death.

• Advertisement

why what did he do :confused: fill me in please

Well mostly for this infamous incident
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/5216027/Real-Madrids-Pepe-banned-for-10-matches-for-Getafe-rampage.html

but generally overall he is one of the best examples of a nark, a player who feigns injury more than most and generally brings the game intpo disrepute
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/may/29/why-it-is-time-football-introduced-the-pepe-rule

Then there is this one from this years tournament, ref not impressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Well mostly for this infamous incident
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/5216027/Real-Madrids-Pepe-banned-for-10-matches-for-Getafe-rampage.html

but generally overall he is one of the best examples of a nark, a player who feigns injury more than most and generally brings the game intpo disrepute
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/may/29/why-it-is-time-football-introduced-the-pepe-rule

Then there is this one from this years tournament, ref not impressed

Clattenburg is 20 times the twat Pepe is for that incident.

He could easily have booked him but instead decided to pose for the cameras.

By not punishing players for acting the maggot you are only encouraging them to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Highly confident in a France win here - Either 2 or 3 nil.

Portugal have severely underwhelmed in this tournament, and while we mightn't have seen their best, I think France will have far far too much for them.

France would be worthy and deserving winners. I'd find it hard to justify Portugal winning the tournament as the 'best team' winning it.

open high scoring game or dour cagey affair??

hope its a cracker the tournament deserves it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Any word on Pepes fitness?

Have my eye on a nice little bet but it involves him playing.

^^^^^^^

first booking?

• Advertisement

Red.

Odds probably low enough, given his form.

I don't think France are going to justify the majority view that they deserve this etc. Portugal are a determined that have dragged themselves to the final while not firing. I think the big occasion, pressure of expectation & being the home nation all goes against France in this.

Big stage is where Ronaldo will shine, I think Portugal will win this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

^^^^^^^

first booking?

Himself and Evra to be booked. 11/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

My opinion on both teams in the final.
    turddouche.jpg

I hope France win. Definitely the lesser of 2 Evils. The tournament overall has been very average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

CnBWbDnXYAA0l7U.jpg

Kante on the bench again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Is George Hamilton shrinking?

Jaysus would they not give George Hamilton a box to stand on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

would absolutely love for Ronaldo to get sent off, with the 2nd yellow for simulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

would absolutely love for Ronaldo to get sent off, with the 2nd yellow for simulation.

Never going to happen.

Can't even remember last time he was sent off.

Edit: https://www.quora.com/How-many-times-has-Ronaldo-gotten-red-cards

More than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Big problem with moths in the stadium and a BBC reporter is saying they have vacuum cleaners to use on them if it gets too much.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Big problem with moths in the stadium and a BBC reporter is saying they have vacuum cleaners to use on them if it gets too much.

But only low wattage ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

Loving these video packages from RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

El Chapo wrote: »
    Loving these video packages from RTÉ.

Seriously why the need for RTE to go on air at 6.30 pm? Far too much weight given to punditry and puff pieces.

Then I saw that TV3 went on air at 6.00 pm. Jesus wept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

sligeach wrote: »
    My opinion on both teams in the final.
    turddouche.jpg

I hope France win. Definitely the lesser of 2 Evils. The tournament overall has been very average.

Nonsense, both of these teams have world class players in them. I like many of the players.
    How exactly are they "evils"???

And the tournament has been very entertaining. I enjoyed most of the games. Even some of the 0-0 matches were excellent. Portugal v Austria for example, what a game that was, had everything except goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Seriously why the need for RTE to go on air at 6.30 pm? Far too much weight given to punditry and puff pieces.

Then I saw that TV3 went on air at 6.00 pm. Jesus wept!

2 hours of ads before the kick-off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement