Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The Final - Portugal vs France, 20:00, RTE, TV3, BBC, ITV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Time passes on. John doesn't want to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

RTE don't do a lot right but they do a good montage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

End of an era :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Happy retirement John!
    Legend

Think he'll end up on TV3 or Setanta yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Video shows what a good pundit Giles used to be, but he's phoned it in for the past couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Not really. Bill wanted to go. Giles doesn't. It's all a wee bit awkward if you ask me.

True, but it's still the end of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

murpho999 wrote: »
    I actually think he's right. Kids are not out playing all day. All protected by their parents from imaginary paedophiles and playing FIFA on Xbox.

As a result the talent pool is less and the players only play with organised teams that are coached.

You can see the impact. Look how Brazil play compared to their teams of the past.

It's changing the game and there will be less natural flair players in the future.

There was no player that had me on the edge of my seat at the tournament. Payet had some decent moments but the football in general was very methodical with very few off the cuff moments. Players like Zidane , Figo, Hagi, rui Costa, prosinecki don't seem to be getting produced in Europe anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Happy retirement John!
    Legend

Retire from what. Sitting with his mates watching football ?
    RTE didn't want to see him die in the chair is all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Happy retirement John!
    Legend

Problem is he's not retiring. He didn't want to go. Makes it very awkward.

• Advertisement

Christ this is being piled on thick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Pretty cool montage, I like Giles as a person more so than a pundit, worked well with Dunphy and Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

mansize wrote: »
    Who Germany?

Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Boskowski wrote: »
    Ah be nice. I know you're disappointed but thats the way it is, the neutrals mostly go with the perceived underdogs. Tough luck, really thought you'd do it after Thursday night.
    Be nice? You shall re-read the posts I quoted.

But apparently this forum does not get moderated since it's perfectly fine to laugh out at France don't fighting tonight like in the second WW :rolleyes:.

Now, of course I'm disappointed. Looks like it was to be the year of the premieres and curse-breakings. I called it when you knocked Italy out. Unfortunately it went full circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Giles falling asleep

Giles made a good few fcuk ups in the last while though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Kobe248 wrote: »
    ****ing delight for Portugal

Ronalso and Pepe are hero's

Patricio has been the best goalie in the tournament

Delighted the charlatan Deschamps lost

Hopefully for the world cup France give the gig to a proper manager and don't go the Blanc route again

Did anyone find it REALLY strange he waited until the 111th minute to bring on an attacking player against people who were clearly out on their feet

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They are the only team that didn't lose a game for the whole tournament. That's how football works you know?

New Zealand would have been world champs in 2010 if that's how football worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

jacool wrote: »
    Is it OK to think that Sissoko was MOTM? (even if they do give it to Rui Patricio)
    Newcastle should cash in now.

oh dear, UEFA gave it to Pepe :(
    I think he was only shot once tonight, in fairness

This really was an old boys club in RTÉ.

Don't think Daragh was allowed in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Turned over to RTE to catch Giles last few moments with them.

Think it's a mistake letting him go. Have a feeling he will pop up on our screens somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They are the only team that didn't lose a game for the whole tournament. That's how football works you know?

Neither did Poland nor Switzerland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I wonder if Eamo is getting a little nervous himself? A bit like a turkey that instinctively knows Christmas is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

End of the Weekend, End of the Euros, end of Johnny Giles, Stone Roses gig over..................................ultimate Sunday night FEAR

Hang in there buddy.

Pepe??? Pepe??? Wtf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I hate him. But tonight he did a surreal job. He really is a great defender when he cuts out the ****. The interception against payet. The header at the end. And he's a real goals threat too.

I'd have given it to Sissoko though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

If I was moth...ha ha...ffs.

i know they had to get a moth reference but that was an awwwwwwwwwfullllll song to end the show on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Well done Portugal. They only conceded one goal since the group stage, that's seven and a half hours of football!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Did Giles say he wasn't too happy about being let go there?

I would have given it to Portuese Goalie

• Advertisement

i know they had to get a moth reference but that was an awwwwwwwwwfullllll song to end the show on RTE.

What was it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Ardent

adox wrote: »
    Turned over to RTE to catch Giles last few moments with them.

Think it's a mistake letting him go. Have a feeling he will pop up on our screens somewhere else.

It sucks but it's the right call. He was past his sell by date as a TV pundit. There hasn't been anything insightful from him in years.

It was awkward TV, Brady was getting all emotional there.

Dunphy is the last of the old guard - he must be looking over his shoulder in case Kyle Nugent buries the axe in him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Pepe??? Pepe??? Wtf!

He was class tonight, as he has been all tournament. But judging by your posts you weren't really paying attention to the game so no wonder you're confused.

Sad to see Giles go.

Who'll get the nod for his seat? Sadlier?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Did anyone find it REALLY strange he waited until the 111th minute to bring on an attacking player against people who were clearly out on their feet

No Deschamps is a joke

He has got lucky so many times in the tournament

He really is a terrible manager

Plus he only brought Martial on as Portugal has scored

Kante was his original sub

Dunno why Deschamps brought on gignac, hes more of a donkey than giroud. Thought he bottled if by not taking pogba off and instead hooked payet. Very strange decision.

ITV montage now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Time passes on. John doesn't want to go
    Christ this is being piled on thick
    Giles made a good few fcuk ups in the last while though
    Giles falling asleep
    Ardent wrote: »
    It sucks but it's the right call. He was past his sell by date as a TV pundit. There hasn't been anything insightful from him in years.

Dunphy is the last of the old guard - he must be looking over his shoulder in case Kyle Nugent buries the axe in him as well.

Jaysis , talk about begrudgery lads.

He was there for 30 years, can he not have his moment?

People don't seem to realise what a breath of fresh air he was when he first started and actually took punditry to a whole new level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I wonder if Eamo is getting a little nervous himself? A bit like a turkey that instinctively knows Christmas is coming.

Nah, Dunphy really is what makes the RTE panel work - throughout the 90's on the crest of the Irish team success , Jacks army , and a great team - the analysis of Giles & Dunphy was superb - I grew up supporting a Rovers and Irish team managed by Giles , have the utmost respect for all he did for Irish football, but his time as a pundit is up - while Eamon , not the greatest of players as I remember, is a superb pundit , writer and journalist.
    Wish John Giles all the best and thanks for such great memories of supporting Irish football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Dunno why Deschamps brought on gignac, hes of a donkey than giroud. Thought he bottled if by not taking pogba off and instead hooked payet. Very strange decision.

Think they missed bringing Benzema to the tournament tbh.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Pepe has been the best defender in the tournament

No shock he won motm today

It's been a common feature

What was it!

the song they played in the closing credits/highlights of the match at the end of the show was a bout "If I was a moth".
    Needed a long and lively proper montage at the end to make that pretty poor two hours of football and the assassination of Johnny Giles worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Why didn't RTE give Eoin McDevitt and Ken Early the highlights programme instead of these two??
    It could have become a Fantasy Football-type show instead of this snooze-fest.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Jaysis , talk about begrudgery lads.

He was there for 30 years, can he not have his moment.

People don't seem to realise what a breath of fresh air he was when he first started and actually too punditry to a whole new level.

I wouldn't call it begrudgery but let him have his moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

There was no player that had me on the edge of my seat at the tournament. Payet had some decent moments but the football in general was very methodical with very few off the cuff moments. Players like Zidane , Figo, Hagi, rui Costa, prosinecki don't seem to be getting produced in Europe anymore.

The game is much more intense now and as a result players are completely bolloxed by the end of the season and can't give their best at international tournaments.

Messi has never displayed his full Barcelona form for Argentina , likewise with Ronaldo for Portugal,

So many top players didn't play well and it's because it's much more difficult these days to play well in international tournaments.

The game is more attacking now than it has been in about 50 years and there are a lot more creative players. It's just foolish to judge the game on a 4 week tournament played at the end of the season when the players can't play their best due to tiredness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Sad to see Giles go.

Who'll get the nod for his seat? Sadlier?

RTE should stage a battle royal style contest to determine who gets the empty chair.

But seriously, don't be too suprised if they shoe horn in a female pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As a player yes. But his presence could have caused as lot of unrest. And strife in the French camp never ends well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Neither did Poland nor Switzerland.

The 'whole' tournament is the important word. They both got defeated so they didn't make it there.

Think they definitely would have won it with benzema but he deserved to be left out under the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Ardent wrote: »

Who is Kyle Nugent?

Some horrible manifestation of Jeremy Kyle and rte's head of sport"

• Advertisement
Advertisement