Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The Final - Portugal vs France, 20:00, RTE, TV3, BBC, ITV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Think they missed bringing Benzema to the tournament tbh.....

They couldn't though tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Giving it to PEPE is to make the French feel better. It's like they had an impossible task facing the best player on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Dunno why Deschamps brought on gignac, hes more of a donkey than giroud. Thought he bottled if by not taking pogba off and instead hooked payet. Very strange decision.

Bit unfair.
    He turned Pepe inside out and was mere cm's away from winning it for France with that shot that came off the post.

mansize wrote: »

A real life leprechaun at the beginning .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Ardent

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Sad to see Giles go.

Who'll get the nod for his seat? Sadlier?

There are loads of lads who can rotate in that seat - Sadlier, Cunningham, Duff, etc.

Giles would kill his granny .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The game is much more intense now and as a result players are completely bolloxed by the end of the season and can't give their best at international tournaments.

Messi has never displayed his full Barcelona form for Argentina , likewise with Ronaldo for Portugal,

So many top players didn't play well and it's because it's much more difficult these days to play well in international tournaments.

The game is more attacking now than it has been in about 50 years and there are a lot more creative players. It's just foolish to judge the game on a 4 week tournament played at the end of the season when the players can't play their best due to tiredness.

I'm not just basing my opinions on this tournament. Apart from Ronaldo all the real entertaining players are south American. I don't think Europe is producing that type of player anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ardent wrote: »
    There are loads of lads who can rotate in that seat - Sadlier, Cunningham, Duff, etc.

Is it a swivel chair?

Ardent wrote: »

Sadlier is a good pundit. The other two are not bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Bit unfair.
    He turned Pepe inside out and was mere cm's away from winning it for France with that shot that came off the post.

He's a jourmeyman plying his trade in Mexico who anytime I've seen shoots on sight and doesn't see the big picture and isn't clinical enough. Really thought martial deserved to come on and run at the Portuguese because pepe and fonte had the target men sown up all night.

Giles would kill his granny .

That was an unusual one alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Who needs pundits anyway.

I am perfectly capable of watching and analysing a football match myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

I'll miss Giles, his been there as long as I remember.

I hope Sadler gets his chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Kobe248 wrote: »
    No Deschamps is a joke

He has got lucky so many times in the tournament

He really is a terrible manager

Plus he only brought Martial on as Portugal has scored

Kante was his original sub
    Yeah. He's a terrible manager who brought Monaco to CL final (of course everyone was expecting them to cruise the CL that year :rolleyes:). He gave back titles to Marseille, the first ones for the club since he left it as a player 20 years or so before. And now he built a French squad, a real squad that the whole country is happy to shout for and support after 8/10 years of catastrophies and affairs.

You really have zero knowledge of French football. But go on that's your celebration night tonight :pac:.
    Dunno why Deschamps brought on gignac, hes more of a donkey than giroud. Thought he bottled if by not taking pogba off and instead hooked payet. Very strange decision.
    Gignac hit the inner post in the 92nd min.
    Giroud was probably worn out.
    Think they missed bringing Benzema to the tournament tbh.....
    Think they definitely would have won it with benzema but he deserved to be left out under the circumstances.
    Can you cite 1 great game he played for us?

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Who needs pundits anyway.

I am perfectly capable of watching and analysing a football match myself.

What did you make of the moths performance tonight .

He's a jourmeyman plying his trade in Mexico who anytime I've seen shoots on sight and doesn't see the big picture and isn't clinical enough. Really thought martial deserved to come on and run at the Portuguese because pepe and fonte had the target men sown up all night.

Martial wasn't up to much when he did

No fight
    Martial Arts it was not .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

The game is much more intense now and as a result players are completely bolloxed by the end of the season and can't give their best at international tournaments.

Messi has never displayed his full Barcelona form for Argentina , likewise with Ronaldo for Portugal,

So many top players didn't play well and it's because it's much more difficult these days to play well in international tournaments.

The game is more attacking now than it has been in about 50 years and there are a lot more creative players. It's just foolish to judge the game on a 4 week tournament played at the end of the season when the players can't play their best due to tiredness.

I'm not just basing my opinions on this tournament. Apart from Ronaldo all the real entertaining players are south American. I don't think Europe is producing that type of player anymore.

A European XI would absolutely hammer a South American XI. There are so many entertaining European players. In terms of top players, Ronaldo, Ibra, Griezmann, Bale are all among the best in the world and European.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

anyway after all's finished now I just have to say once again that was a terrific goal. one of the best of this tournament imo...

and on that note, goodnight, was fun! :')

Tbf every ref makes mistakes:D

Ah sure how can every ref not see in real time what the viewers see in super slow mos a few times. Joke of a ref :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Jose Fonte has had a great tournament too. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone try and buy him, even at 32.

Pogba being found out in this tournament

That he aint a DM ya your prob right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Griezmann,Payet,Bale,Ronaldo,Ozil,Coman,Martial,Hamsik,David Silva,Tiago Alcantara,Iniesta,Hakan Calhanolglu,Modric,Peresic,Rakatic,De Bruyne,Hazard,Carrasco,Nani,Moutihnio etc.etc

Whats happened is that the skilful players are less flawed than they were before and don't give the ball away as much and work harder for the team and therefore it looks like they have less flair than a less complete player from the past who may not have worked as hard for the team to the same extent as players do now.

Roll on the Olimpdics

• Advertisement

• Griezmann,Payet,Bale,Ronaldo,Ozil,Coman,Martial,Hamsik,David Silva,Tiago Alcantara,Iniesta,Hakan Calhanolglu,Modric,Peresic,Rakatic,De Bruyne,Hazard,Carrasco,Nani,Moutihnio etc.etc

Whats happened is that the skilful players are less flawed than they were before and don't give the ball away as much and work harder for the team and therefore it looks like they have less flair than a less complete player from the past who may not have worked as hard for the team to the same extent as players do now.

I agree to an extent but the flipside of that is that it also shows that there is not enough of risk takers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

iroced wrote: »
    Yeah. He's a terrible manager who brought Monaco to CL final (of course everyone was expecting them to cruise the CL that year :rolleyes:). He gave back titles to Marseille, the first ones for the club since he left it as a player 20 years or so before. And now he built a French squad, a real squad that the whole country is happy to shout for and support after 8/10 years of catastrophies and affairs.

You really have zero knowledge of French football. But go on that's your celebration night tonight :pac:.

Gignac hit the inner post in the 92nd min.
    Giroud was probably worn out.

Can you cite 1 great game he played for us?
    I lived in France so think my French football is a little better than yours

Deschamps picks teams based on what the media say

He's a coward of a manager

How did he do in the final once he come up against a good manager both times he lost

People were willing to cheer Deschamps because he was the captain of a world cup winning team

They wanted a white former leader of this mainly black team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What was he on for ...5 minutes? Against a team that was one up and defending for their lives. Great amount of time to have an impact alright.

Thought he might have been a different option for France since gicnac was basically a like for like replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Sad to see Giles go.

Who'll get the nod for his seat? Sadlier?

Kerr!

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I agree to an extent but the flipside of that is that it also shows that there is not enough of risk takers

You do miss that aspect a little, a player like Matt Le Tissier (who was a pure genius but a flawed player) would not be tolerated as much in today's game I suspect, but it is a team game and teams can't carry passengers anymore I would say that because of the pace of the game these days mistakes would be punished much ore severely than they were in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

Love this.

CnCafgUXEAE7mOG.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Kerr!

Kerr should be back working for the FAI, madness they haven't him working on developing the structure of Irish football. It'll probably be Saddler or Kenny to replace Giles. Possibly Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Delighted to see the Great Ronaldo lift a major trophy with his country. Never ran away.

Thought Portugal were excellent as a team, gave great guts and always believed

Stunning winner

Griezmann,Payet,Bale,Ronaldo,Ozil,Coman,Martial,Hamsik,David Silva,Tiago Alcantara,Iniesta,Hakan Calhanolglu,Modric,Peresic,Rakatic,De Bruyne,Hazard,Carrasco,Nani,Moutihnio etc.etc

All great players im not disputing that.I watch football for entertainment and the players of the past that took more risks or do skills just for the sake of it are the ones I prefer to watch. That type of player in Europe is a dying breed as football has become less off the cuff. Natural skill and risktaking is getting somewhat coached out of the game and I don't find football as enjoyable to watch as I used to.

Headshot wrote: »
    Deschamps should get sacked straight away. One of the best group of French players for some time but they are far from a "team" just a group of individuals with poor team selection and tactics

This 100% surprised he got off light with so many on here.

The Giroud Giganc sub every game was baffling if your tatics arent working sure bring oin a simialr but worse player and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

siblers wrote: »
    Kerr should be back working for the FAI, madness they haven't him working on developing the structure of Irish football. It'll probably be Saddler or Kenny to replace Giles. Possibly Duff.

Not sure if Kerr has burnt his bridges in the FAI - They weren't getting on years ago anyway

I any case, they're not utually exclusive jobs. You can work in youth development and be a pundit at the same time

All great players im not disputing that.I watch football for entertainment and the players of the past that took more risks or do skills just for the sake of it are the ones I prefer to watch. That type of player in Europe is a dying breed as football has become less off the cuff. Natural skill and risktaking is getting somewhat coached out of the game and I don't find football as enjoyable to watch as I used to.

But that is not the point of the game and extremely self indulgent behaviour and it is probably rightly discouraged by coaches.

There is nothing more frustrating than watching loads of skill without an end product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Ardent

El Chapo wrote: »
    Love this.

CnCafgUXEAE7mOG.jpg

Is that Alex Ferguson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Delighted to see the Great Ronaldo lift a major trophy with his country. Never ran away.

Couldn't run very far with an injured knee?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Fell asleep after 70 mins and woke up to Portugal lifting the trophy, was a bit surreal.

I'd forgotten that Portugal had finished 3rd in their group, they'd have gone home after the group stage in the old format.

Disappointed we didn't get a big end of tournament montage from RTE :(

This tweet sums it up for me

https://twitter.com/kenearlys/status/752260382832594945

How did he do in the final once he come up against a good manager both times he lost

People were willing to cheer Deschamps because he was the captain of a world cup winning team

Iroced is from France so I'm sure he knows what he is talking about when it comes to the French team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I'm French and don't care what you think about what your knowledge is. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about and I'm gonna ask you to stop your racist bullsh*t abuse at my country!

CnCP_nOWEAQmryI.jpg

Say what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why wasn't kante picked?

But that is not the point of the game and extremely self indulgent behaviour and it is probably rightly discouraged by coaches.

There is nothing more frustrating than watching loads of skill without an end product.

I know that. I'm not taliking about the soccer am showboating stuff with no end product . I'm talking about players like Hagi, prosinecki, Figo, Zidane, rui Costa, Ronaldo from a few years back, neymar etc. There was/is an end product from these players. I think football has become a bit too pre planned at times and weaker teams can set up to stifle a superior team as the play is very predictable. You touched on it yourself with the le tissier type player.
    I'm personally finding most football quite boring at the minute and with ronaldo and Messi now more than likely past their peak I'm not sure it's going to get any better.

French throwing 'le sulk' it seems....

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/752271898763988992

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

CnCP_nOWEAQmryI.jpg

dutch-field-hockey-10.jpg

I prefer the second photo. Its a better sight to end a weekend on!"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

I know that. I'm not taliking about the soccer am showboating stuff with no end product . I'm talking about players like Hagi, prosinecki, Figo, Zidane, rui Costa, Ronaldo from a few years back, neymar etc. There was/is an end product from these players. I think football has become a bit too pre planned at times and weaker teams can set up to stifle a superior team as the play is very predictable. You touched on it yourself with the le tissier type player. I'm personally finding most football quite boring at the minute and with ronaldo and Messi now more than likely past their peak I'm not sure it's going to get any better.

You are suffering from Nostalgia or else you don't watch enough football

Suarez
    Neymar
    Messi
    Augero
    James Rodriguez
    Douglas Costa
    Bale

All skillfull risk takers with end product. There is many more of these types of players across Europe

Advertisement