Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - The Final - Portugal vs France, 20:00, RTE, TV3, BBC, ITV

1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Liam O wrote: »
    Bitterness from L'equipe with those ratings. Patricio had one or 2 good saves but all stuff you'd expect him to deal with. A 5 for Fonte is ridiculous. Making it look like it was a miraculous goalkeeping display that stopped them winning rather than their own inadequacy.
    It seems in this day and age that there are no great saves. Patricio made a great save last night from Griezmann.

I watched the game at home with four friends and four of us had Patricio as MoM. We also thought Pepe was outstanding and the other guy picked him as MoM. Fonte is always underrated by everybody. The guy that plays beside him at club level gets raved about all the time. He has played beside Lovren, Alderweireld and Van Dijk over the last few seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The Portuguese keeper being the exception so with 9

That was unusually high- but he was my Motm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Such a shame none of the Portuguese players did a Griezman celebration in front of him at FT. See how he likes those apples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Such a shame none of the Portuguese players did a Griezman celebration in front of him at FT. See how he likes those apples

Why? Griezman never did it in anyone's face?

If France had won should one of them have ripped off his shirt and flexed in front of Ronaldo?

No of course not, so why the hate for Griezman celebrating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I thought 2 (Nani & Pepe) of the terrible threesome had great games, fair play to them. The keeper and Fonte too played very well. I'd probably have Pepe has MOTM though - the sight of a player puking his ring up at the final whistle is always worth an extra point in the ratings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Benimar wrote: »
    Why? Griezman never did it in anyone's face?

If France had won should one of them have ripped off his shirt and flexed in front of Ronaldo?

No of course not, so why the hate for Griezman celebrating?

Agreed, he celebrated after scoring against us, who cares. Great player, must be sick of the sight of Ronaldo & Pepe at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Street football is actually what has made many of the top footballers. Bergkamp use to spend hours just playing the ball of a wall. Modern football does not have as much skillful players no doubt about it.

Partly down to it being down to players becoming faster & stronger so it is harder to go past players but also because not as many players have the natural flair that street football helps improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

MD1990 wrote: »
    Partly down to it being down to players becoming faster & stronger so it is harder to go past players but also because not as many players have the natural flair that street football helps improve.

I think the fact that Pogba looks likely to become the most expensive player in football history sums this fact up perfectly.

Not even in the same league as Messi, Ronaldo and Bale when it comes to ability to change a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think the fact that Pogba looks likely to become the most expensive player in football history sums this fact up perfectly.

Not even in the same league as Messi, Ronaldo and Bale when it comes to ability to change a game.

But here is what Pogba said about growing up:
    Was playing on the streets of Paris a big part of your life growing up?
    Yes, everyday. Everyday we’d go on the street to play 5v5 or futsal. That’s Paris, when we play football that’s how it is. We started out in the hood and we’d play between cars and stuff, it was never glamorous.

http://uk.complex.com/sports/2016/06/inteview-paul-pogba

So clearly street football doesn't make that much difffernce if Pogba played on the street all day but apparently lacks flair.

I'd say Pogba has some flair to be fair to him, but modern tactics hamper a lot of players.

But compared to Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Bale, Modric, Hazard etc he isn't worth a fraction of £100mill. I know he doesn't set the figure, but I think the likes of Madrid and Barca are sensible not to get involved in any deal which would take his fee to that level. Man Utd need their heads examined if they pay that for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Liam O wrote: »
    Bitterness from L'equipe with those ratings. Patricio had one or 2 good saves but all stuff you'd expect him to deal with. A 5 for Fonte is ridiculous. Making it look like it was a miraculous goalkeeping display that stopped them winning rather than their own inadequacy.
    Bitterness? Looks pretty fair to me. Patricio MOM with a well deserved 9. Without him we'd have probably won it in the regulation 90. Then Pepe & Sissoko with 7. Santos too. Deschamps 5. Maybe 4 was more suitable. But overall fair enough ratings.
    Fonte made a couple of big mistakes that can explain his 5. Unfortunately for him he's not as "visible" as Pepe. If we're to nitpick I'd have given them both a 6 and a 7 to Nani who upraised his game as Portugal "new" captain when Ronaldo came out.
    The Portuguese keeper being the exception so with 9
    He was exceptional though ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Benimar wrote: »

I would love to see this, proper Ross O'Carroll-Kelly style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

He needs a place to land his ego.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

thomasj wrote: »

I went there on a school exchange about 21 years ago.

Funnily enough I remember there being a small boy I was playing football with on the street one day. Showed him how to do a stepover.

Advertisement