Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Spanish matador Victor Barrio gored to death in arena live on TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

You spectacularly missed the point.

I was not comparing the suffering at all. Someone suggested people go to bullfighting to see animals killed, and I merely pointed out that if that was their only motivation than they'd be queuing up at the slaughterhouse.

Or at cock fights, or at dog baiting.

At the end of the day, many people do enjoy a bit of blood and gore. Perosnally, I'm not sure howmuch society should accommodate that in order to keep them entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

To those that defend bull fighting in Spain it is a ridiculous stance. I am no shrinking violet but I would draw the line at taunting a bull and then killing it in front of a baying crowd ffs.

There is no comparison with factory farmed animals. That is another topic but has no relation to some dopey spaniard trying to provoke a bull.... None at all.

timthumbni wrote: »
    There is no comparison with factory farmed animals. That is another topic but has no relation to some dopey spaniard trying to provoke a bull.... None at all.

Well certainly the bulls in bullfighting seem to have a better existence than factory farmed animals.

I'm not sure about the dismissal of bullfighters as "some dopey spaniards". The bullfighters in Mexico, France etc. might not like it for starters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

We don't chase cows across a field lobbing spears into them. You can't compare farming & bullfighting. Ireland is in the perfect position to promote Freedom Food & export it, if the government had any sense.

Been in an abattoir, have you? I have a few times as we get our own animals slaughtered. The bullfighting is definitely more stressful for the animal than when they are slaughtered for meat, the butcher/slaughterman doesn't take pleasure in making the making the suffer unlike bullfighters.

He probably saw one of those videos of an abattoir that PETA put up and assumed that Irish abattoirs are also the same.

Irelands abattoirs are relatively more humane compared to a lot of other countries and I don't think eating chicken is the same as jizzing in my pants over a bull being tortured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

He probably saw one of those videos of an abattoir that PETA put up and assumed that Irish abattoirs are also the same.

Irelands abattoirs are relatively more humane compared to a lot of other countries and I don't think eating chicken is the same as jizzing in my pants over a bull being tortured.

Anyone who knows anything about slaughtering knows the animals need minimal stress before hand. Any stress depletes their glycogen stores which means pretty sh1tty meat (because the glycogen converts to lactic acid post mortem which tenderises the muscle/meat naturally), meaning poor prices. The market rewards humane slaughter because it yields higher quality.

Hopefully Ireland will follow the UK & have more free range farms. A friend of mine rears pigs, in big fields & covered in lovely mud. They slaughter them on the farm & the free range pork sells for a really good price. Most of it goes to restaurants & he can't keep up with demand.

The consumer gets a first rate product & the pigs get a great life followed by a stress free end.

Discodog wrote: »
    Hopefully Ireland will follow the UK & have more free range farms. A friend of mine rears pigs, in big fields & covered in lovely mud. They slaughter them on the farm & the free range pork sells for a really good price. Most of it goes to restaurants & he can't keep up with demand.

The consumer gets a first rate product & the pigs get a great life followed by a stress free end.

Does he wear tight matador type leggings whilst he tends to these pigs?

Does he wear tight matador type leggings whilst he tends to these pigs?

He would happily shoot a matador :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I have absolutely no sympathy for this idiot.

He got exactly what was coming for him taunting an animal for "entertainment".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

.....followed by a stress free end.

How do you know ? Pigs are very intelligent

gctest50 wrote: »
    How do you know ? Pigs are very intelligent

Well I know that he used the services of a Vet & an animal behaviourist in the design of the slaughterhouse. I haven't been there at the time but I have been told that the pigs are killed individually & with minimal stress. Ok it may not be perfect but it's one hell of a lot better than what most pigs experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Well I know that he used the services of a Vet & an animal behaviourist in the design of the slaughterhouse. I haven't been there at the time but I have been told that the pigs are killed individually & with minimal stress. Ok it may not be perfect but it's one hell of a lot better than what most pigs experience.
    I haven't been there at the time but..

but ?

Zurich University :

Anne (the pig ) would rather starve for three full days than enter the room that caused her so much suffering

Well I know that he used the services of a Vet & an animal behaviourist in the design of the slaughterhouse...

Ha!

That sort of feel good nonsense plays to the same gallery that the Happy Pear Twins exploit.

Are people suggesting that it's better to herd pigs together & drive them to an abattoir ? I said that his system isn't perfect but it's way better than what most pigs experience.

The same old argument is about to rolled out. If you oppose Bullfighting then you have to be a vegetarian :rolleyes:

Farming can be more compassionate & still be economically viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

And the bull has been culled for his troubles...

lose-lose situation. Some mama and papa are distraught tonight and are probably still awake, unable to sleep because their baby boy is lying on a mortuary slab and some dickheads are mourning the loss of a bull.

I feel sorry for his parents. But really, they captured an animal against its will and used it for sports and it was killed for doing what its meant to do, charge when provoked. This man chose to enter the arena, knowing full well the risks involved. Mess with the bull and all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Sad day for both man and bull. I think bull fighting is horrible and disgusting. I would be delighted if it was outlawed.

Sad day for both man and bull. I think bull fighting is horrible and disgusting. I would be delighted if it was outlawed.

It seems it was in Catalonia...which had no big tradition anyway, and the response in other areas in Spain and in other countries was to list it as a protected sport...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

It seems it was in Catalonia...which had no big tradition anyway, and the response in other areas in Spain and in other countries was to list it as a protected sport...

I guess it's hard to get rid of something that's been going on so long. We can always hope though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

haven't read the thread but presume most people have feck all sympathy for him. i dont know how this torture is allowed still. dicks

Surely this goes back to the Roman arena. Why would they still do this nowadays?

As I said I like the Spanish. Surely there must be a big movement to stop this crap. It is moronic and cruel. Though I suppose ufc is all the rage here too......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Though I suppose ufc is all the rage here too......

how is this remotely the same? two consenting adults does not = man torturing a bull to death

how is this remotely the same? two consenting adults does not = man torturing a bull to death

I agree with you. I was taking the piss. Imo taunting and the killing a bull in front of a baying moronic crowd has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen or heard.

I think we are on the same side..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How many posting on this thread have actually seen what happened? I have.

How many posting on this thread have actually seen what happened? I have.

I don't really want to see a man killed by a bull tbh. The argument is that there was no need for him to be anywhere near a bull in the first place surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Well certainly the bulls in bullfighting seem to have a better existence than factory farmed animals.

I'm not sure about the dismissal of bullfighters as "some dopey spaniards". The bullfighters in Mexico, France etc. might not like it for starters!
    How do they 'seem' to have a better existence?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It sort of astounds me that Spain, a country that has gay marriage, still has the despicable anachronistic blood sport of bullfighting.

I do feel sorry for the matador who died but he did know the risks. The treatment of bulls in bullfighting is despicable. Bullfighting belongs in the history museum and not the 21st century.

Bull 1 Matador 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Bull wins is that the story ?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It sort of astounds me that Spain, a country that has gay marriage, still has the despicable anachronistic blood sport of bullfighting.

Say what now?

Missing the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rjpf1980

I don't agree with bullfighting because I believe it is cruel and should be banned and I think the bullfighter who died was responsible for his own death.

He did not DESERVE to die.

Some of the posters are delighted he's dead.

WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

rjpf1980 wrote: »
    I don't agree with bullfighting because I believe it is cruel and should be banned and I think the bullfighter who died was responsible for his own death.

He did not DESERVE to die.

Some of the posters are delighted he's dead.

WTF?

I'm delighted that the animal torturer is dead.
    Animal cruelty/torture is DISGUSTING, the sport is barbaric and anyone that purposely harms an animal has no place in society. Good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

BetsyEllen wrote: »

Hardly a proportional reaction to be fair.

Animal cruelty/torture is DISGUSTING, the sport is barbaric and anyone that purposely harms an animal has no place in society. Good riddance.

You are delighted that another fellow human being is dead? Have you seen the video of how this man died? Have you any feelings or empathy or mercy? A human being died. A man was killed and died. He had a family and friends and people who loved him and miss him. That is a tragedy.
    Do you believe in the death penalty or something? Should people - human beings - be killed for killing animals?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Say what now?

Missing the connection.

have you not seen the outfits those matadors wear........they're faaaaaabulous!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Not sorry for matadors at all. I feel sorry for the bulls and all animals that are molested by humans on this planet.

Lavinia wrote: »
    Not sorry for matadors at all. I feel sorry for the bulls and all animals that are molested by humans on this planet.

You put animals before your fellow human beings????

I don't agree with Muslim methods of animal slaughter. Does that mean all Muslims should die?

Do you think people who eat sausages and bacon should be killed because of how animals are treated on farms and in slaughter houses?

The notion that human beings should die for treating animals cruelly is lunatic.

You are delighted that another fellow human being is dead? Have you seen the video of how this man died? Have you any feelings or empathy or mercy? A human being died. A man was killed and died. He had a family and friends and people who loved him and miss him. That is a tragedy.
    Do you believe in the death penalty or something? Should people - human beings - be killed for killing animals?????

Why on earth would I want to see the video? That's as sick as going along to see the bullfight in the first place. I might not care that he is dead but I don't want to witness his death thanks.

This man killed/tortured animals for entertainment and money making purposes.
    He put himself in this situation; if he hadn't been in that arena, trying to slowly kill an animal, then he would be alive and well now.
    So I have ZERO sympathy.

Why on earth would I want to see the video? That's as sick as going along to see the bullfight in the first place. I might not care that he is dead but I don't want to witness his death thanks.

This man killed/tortured animals for entertainment and money making purposes.
    He put himself in this situation; if he hadn't been in that arena, trying to slowly kill an animal, then he would be alive and well now.
    So I have ZERO sympathy.

You put the life of an animal above a human being???? Really???

You put the life of an animal above a human being???? Really???

You've said that twice now.
    I don't think you get my point - he put himself into that arena, knew the risks he was taking and he was beaten in a fight between himself and the bull.
    He was in that arena to specifically hurt and kill the animal, who had no choice but to be there.
    So I have zero sympathy.

That is different to putting the life of an animal above a human beings.

If I had the choice of saving a bull or a human from a burning building, I would clearly save the human.

You've said that twice now.
    I don't think you get my point - he put himself into that arena, knew the risks he was taking and he was beaten in a fight between himself and the bull.
    He was in that arena to specifically hurt and kill the animal, who had no choice but to be there.
    So I have zero sympathy.

That is different to putting the life of an animal above a human beings.

If I had the choice of saving a bull or a human from a burning building, I would clearly safe the human.

A human being is always more important than any animal.

• Advertisement

I like the way you quickly went back and edited what you said before I could quote same. You obviously realised you sounded like a d!ck.
    I am perfectly entitled to my opinion just as you are - calm yourself down, go and make a cup of tea or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

Neh ..disagree there

Plenty of examples of people who I rather see dying then the odd Horsefly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

You put animals before your fellow human beings????

I don't agree with Muslim methods of animal slaughter. Does that mean all Muslims should die?

Do you think people who eat sausages and bacon should be killed because of how animals are treated on farms and in slaughter houses?

The notion that human beings should die for treating animals cruelly is lunatic.

jeez wouldn't like to be inside your head...
    too aggressive and lost there it seems...

Hmmmm I'm not 100% with you on this now I've given it further thought.

I said before I would save a human from a burning building over a bull; however if that human was someone like Ian Huntley for example (Holly and Jessica killer - first despicable person I could think of) then I'd be saving the bull.

Do you disagree with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

I admit I chuckled when he was gored ..served him right.

If people want to participate in a dangerous backwards ritual involving animal torture then there should be no whinging when people get hurt

weisses wrote: »
    I admit I chuckled when he was gored ..served him right.

If people want to participate in a dangerous backwards ritual involving animal torture then there should be no whinging when people get hurt

Not only that, we should "chuckle" when a man loses his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If so then why engage in patently dangerous activities with animals and then blame the animal for defending itself.
    So the human is a victim here, looking for safe space in the arena...

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

God the amount of smug liberals in this thread is disgusting. Going to be a long tumble for people here if they fall off their high horse.

The_Mac wrote: »
    Going to be a long tumble for people here if they fall off their high horse.

It's the high horses I feel sorry for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The newspaper isn't correct that it was the 'first matador to be killed this century'; Ratón, a very famous bull that died recently, killed 3(!) people over the course of his career. Apparently, after the first death, his popularity went through the roof; surprised they culled this bull, I'd say his owner feels he is missing out on a windfall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat%C3%B3n

Advertisement