Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Spanish matador Victor Barrio gored to death in arena live on TV

Comments

weisses wrote: »
    I admit I chuckled when he was gored ..served him right.

Disturbing.

Because I suspect even the most ardent bullfighting fans do not "chuckle" about the death of the bull.

Yet the death of a human amuses you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

Disturbing.

Because I suspect even the most ardent bullfighting fans do not "chuckle" about the death of the bull.

Yet the death of a human amuses you.

In certain circumstances yes ... And bullfighting is one of them

Pamplona the same ...The more injuries the better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Disturbing.

No but they pay money to see it, are entertained by it and cheer when the bull is finally dead.
    Do you not see anything disturbing about that?

I personally wouldn't chuckle at the death of a Matador, I just wouldn't mourn or grieve them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Very Morrissey-esque. ;)

Essentially then you're comfortable with the death penalty for animal cruelty?

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't chuckle at the death of a Matador, I just wouldn't mourn or grieve them.

You're just quietly delighted so.

• Advertisement

Very Morrissey-esque. ;)

Essentially then you're comfortable with the death penalty for animal cruelty?

I could warm up to that idea yes.

Same goes for murderers, rapists, child molesters etc .... Easy way to get rid of that scum

Same goes for murderers, rapists, child molesters etc .... Easy way to get rid of that scum

Dear God.

Someone got a reference to paedophiles in.

Thread is descending into a mess...

You're just quietly delighted so.

Not quietly, I'm happy to speak about it.
    Have you read all of my comments? Do you understand why I feel that way?

It's not as though he was a man walking down the street, minding his own business and a bull came out of nowhere and viciously attacked him.
    If that was the story my first thoughts would be 'Oh my God, that poor man and his poor family - what an awful tragedy'. But those were not the circumstances.
    He was paid to cause suffering to animals, how many have died at his hands?
    And now he has been killed by an animal that was protecting its own life, there is suddenly an outpour of grief on his behalf?

Do you condone bull fighting?

Thread is descending into a mess...

No that started when you brought in the Angler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What life would the bull have had without bull fighting?

Truth be known (and something that vegans
    don't discuss) is that cattle, pigs and chicken would be virtually extinct if people didn't eat them

Actually at a local vegan meet up I was at recently we discussed it at length. We were all pretty much agreed that most commercial breeds of meat animals are so far removed from how they would have been naturally, excessive growth rates, legs that can't hold they're abnormally large bodies, excessive milk production etc that it would be in the animal's best interest to let commercial breeds die out.

I'm vegan and my personal opinion would be that if it meant no more meat production at all, I would be ok with any currently living farm animals (that can't be cared for in a sanctuary) being culled. If it ends the suffering for good, then it's worth it. But I know a lot of other vegans wouldn't agree with me on this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is it wrong that I'm wondering if "Manos" (the bull's name) will get a Lamborghini named after him? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The bull was called Maños, according to El Mundo, and weighed 529 kilos.

I guess we know what the next Lamborghini will be called now.

Not quietly, I'm happy to speak about it.
    Have you read all of my comments? Do you understand why I feel that way?

It's not as though he was a man walking down the street, minding his own business and a bull came out of nowhere and viciously attacked him.
    If that was the story my first thoughts would be 'Oh my God, that poor man and his poor family - what an awful tragedy'. But those were not the circumstances.
    He was paid to cause suffering to animals, how many have died at his hands?
    And now he has been killed by an animal that was protecting its own life, there is suddenly an outpour of grief on his behalf?

Do you condone bull fighting?

No I don't, it's not a binary argument. It's possible to oppose something without going to the opposite extreme. It's one of the reasons we're higher than animals in the food chain. :)

I find bullfighting to be an outdated, barbaric and medieval practice...rather like this:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

rjpf1980 wrote: »
    A human being is always more important than any animal.
    I'm no vegan hippie type, but I'd not agree with that. As it stands there are too damned many humans on the planet. Our population growth and consumption isn't sustainable. Animals and plants are going extinct on a weekly basis. Whole ecosystems are being decimated. We're observing one of the largest extinction events in the planet's history and it's down to too many naked great apes around the place. Given the eeny meeny miney mo between the average human mouth breather and an African elephant, or giant panda or whatever it would be a hard choice TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No I don't, it's not a binary argument. It's possible to oppose something without going to the opposite extreme. It's one of the reasons we're higher than animals in the food chain. :)

I find bullfighting to be an outdated, barbaric and medieval practice...rather like this:

Ok. But if you find it a barbaric practice, how can you feel sympathy for somebody who actively took part in it?
    I am not trying to pick an argument with you, I am genuinely curious of how you can feel sad at the death of a person that was so cruel, when you have said yourself it's barbaric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

he matador was wearing red , - not such a good idea since the apron was red too .
    He was like waving a red rag to a bull .

The thing about the debate on the 'sport' is that the Spanish fighting bull is a specific breed, which is bread solely for fighting. To ban bull fighting would in turn make this species extinct.

Ok. But if you find it a barbaric practice, how can you feel sympathy for somebody who actively took part in it?
    I am not trying to pick an argument with you, I am genuinely curious of how you can feel sad at the death of a person that was so cruel, when you have said yourself it's barbaric.

Well I feel sorry for his wife and family...

I think what he was doing was despicable but I find celebrating his death a little unsettling.

Well I feel sorry for his wife and family...

I think what he was doing was despicable but I find celebrating his death a little unsettling.

I'm not celebrating his death at all, I'm just pleased that there is one less person on this earth that takes pleasure in causing harm to animals.
    If he has a wife and kids (I've read nothing about him) then I can sympathise with their pain at losing him but not enough to make me feel saddened by his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I said much the same as the person you're replying to and yeah, I think the loss of a life is to be regretted, whether or not I agree with his sport*. I doubt he was a particularly bad person, it's an accepted practice over there, even if slowly dying out. I find some of the practices involving animal slaughter in China repugnant, but I wouldn't be pleased at the deaths of a whole bunch of Chinese slaughterhouse workers either!

*I don't, I also find it barbaric and cruel.

• Advertisement

Samaris wrote: »
    I said much the same as the person you're replying to and yeah, I think the loss of a life is to be regretted, whether or not I agree with his sport

The majority of people don't assign a generic value to a life. Some people will care, others wont. The fact that the man participated in a practice that a lot of people despise will mean that the value that people will place on his life will vary greatly so there's no point in anyone arguing about it really. It happened, some will say he deserved it, others wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

smash wrote: »
    The majority of people don't assign a generic value to a life. Some people will care, others wont. The fact that the man participated in a practice that a lot of people despise will mean that the value that people will place on his life will vary greatly so there's no point in anyone arguing about it really. It happened, some will say he deserved it, others wont.

Oh, true, but when the debate comes up, people may as well put both sides forward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

There is a well-known French song called La Corrida which is sung from the point of view of the bull, I find it very emotional:

You can read the translated lyrics here: http://muzikum.eu/en/127-6372-215403/francis-cabrel/la-corrida-english-translation.html

Samaris wrote: »
    Oh, true, but when the debate comes up, people may as well put both sides forward!

Oh yea, put your side forward by all means but it will be difficult for some people to find sympathy. Personally I feel sorry for his family but not necessarily for him. Bull fighting is a very one sided battle and he lost which is rare, but non the less, he stepped in a ring with an unpredictable animal. If there wasn't the possibility of being mutilated or killed then it wouldn't be called bull fighting, it would just be called bull killing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I have no sympathy for the bull fighter what so ever!

It was an unfair fight in that the matador provoked a wild animal and this time the bull won.

And for those bull runners that got gored, not one bit of sympathy for them either, they took up the challenge and lost.

old_aussie wrote: »
    It was an unfair fight in that the matador provoked a wild animal and this time the bull won.

It's never a fair fight. Well not for the bull anyway because it's drugged up to the skies. The only way to look at it is to say either the bull was lucky or the matador was unlucky.

It's never a fair fight. Well not for the bull anyway because it's drugged up to the skies. The only way to look at it is to say either the bull was lucky or the matador was unlucky.

Pretty sure the bull was 'destroyed' after the fight anyway, so I would say that no one was lucky in this instance :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The Prairie Oysters were not up to their usual standard the other night that's for sure.

BTW do people realise the mother of the bull is also slaughtered to kill off the bloodline.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    BTW do people realise the mother of the bull is also slaughtered to kill off the bloodline.

Found that out a moment ago...it's beyond sad and unnecessary.

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Found that out a moment ago...it's beyond sad and unnecessary.

While disagreeing with bull fighting, I'll reiterate my previous post:
    smash wrote:
    The thing about the debate on the 'sport' is that the Spanish fighting bull is a specific breed, which is bread solely for fighting. To ban bull fighting would in turn make this species extinct.

I would rather an species be extinct than exist and be tortured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

timthumbni wrote: »
    The fact that this was broadcast live on Spanish tv apparently is crazy.

They have a tv channel dedicated to it

I would rather an species be extinct than exist and be tortured!

You could say the same about most breeds of dogs. These days there's a huge list of species who are all engineered to look a certain way and that comes with a price to their health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Well certainly the bulls in bullfighting seem to have a better existence than factory farmed animals.

I'm not sure about the dismissal of bullfighters as "some dopey spaniards". The bullfighters in Mexico, France etc. might not like it for starters!

1 can you back that up
    2 what is the proportion of factory farmed cattle in Ireland
    3 Is that just whataboutery?

Jawgap wrote: »
    Anyone who knows anything about slaughtering knows the animals need minimal stress before hand. Any stress depletes their glycogen stores which means pretty sh1tty meat (because the glycogen converts to lactic acid post mortem which tenderises the muscle/meat naturally), meaning poor prices. The market rewards humane slaughter because it yields higher quality.

Actually that's not accurate, for beef anyway. If cattle are stressed when slaughter the meat is of a better quality but looks worse (get less for it due to visuals), either way it isn't allowed.

• Advertisement

Again, you missed the point.

Someone said it wasn't a sport. I linked an article by someone who claimed it was more than a sport, and whose book on bullfighting was nominated as best sports book. I didn't claim that particular book justified anything...I haven't even read it!

So you posted something in response but it wasn't a point? What was the reason for you posting it. Should we get you to state explicitly what you mean as it appears you may just throw things out for them to be picked up a certain way. I'm asking the question so that it's clear I haven't picked you up the wrong way.

You spectacularly missed the point.

I was not comparing the suffering at all. Someone suggested people go to bullfighting to see animals killed, and I merely pointed out that if that was their only motivation than they'd be queuing up at the slaughterhouse.

The point in that case wasn't communicated well. You said that if people wanted to see suffering then they'd go to an abattoir, I was pointing out that they are not the same thing. Sure if you just want to knock around on the internet making asinine points you could have an argument on twitter.

Also you spectacularly missed the main bit of my post (the first line)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Actually that's not accurate, for beef anyway. If cattle are stressed when slaughter the meat is of a better quality but looks worse (get less for it due to visuals), either way it isn't allowed.

Actually, you need to take it up with the FAO......

Guidelines for Humane Handling, Transport and Slaughter of Livestock....
    The energy required for muscle activity in the live animal is obtained from sugars (glycogen) in the muscle. In the healthy and well-rested animal, the glycogen content of the muscle is high. After the animal has been slaughtered, the glycogen in the muscle is converted into lactic acid, and the muscle and carcass becomes firm (rigor mortis).

This lactic acid is necessary to produce meat, which is tasteful and tender, of good keeping quality and good colour. If the animal is stressed before and during slaughter, the glycogen is used up, and the lactic acid level that develops in the meat after slaughter is reduced. This will have serious adverse effects on meat quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

While disagreeing with bull fighting, I'll reiterate my previous post:

The breed, yes. The species? Not so much - we'll still have bulls and cows all over the world.

Actually, you need to take it up with the FAO......

Guidelines for Humane Handling, Transport and Slaughter of Livestock....

Visually it makes it look worse but it creates more tender meat. Not advocating anything just pointing it out. And they are hardly going to sy that stressing out the animals gives nicer meat.

Edit, saw in your initial post that you mentioned about the tenderising, that's where I'm coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 colin produces

Any asshole who dies trying to torture and humiliate an innocent animal deserves what he gets.

Any asshole who dies trying to torture and humiliate an innocent animal deserves what he gets.

Knew a man who tried to catch a fish.

He drowned.

You'd enjoy that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Visually it makes it look worse but it creates more tender meat. Not advocating anything just pointing it out. And they are hardly going to sy that stressing out the animals gives nicer meat.

Edit, saw in your initial post that you mentioned about the tenderising, that's where I'm coming from.

....probably because the research wouldn't back that up ;)

And they are hardly going to sy that stressing out the animals gives nicer meat.

I've tried it and it's as tough as a brick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I can't say that I'm glad that he's dead, I just think it's sad that he grew up in a culture where this is considered to be an acceptable form of sport/entertainment.

It's just so cowardly. It doesn't take a big brave man to go into that ring when they know that the odds are pretty much always going to be in their favour.

There are no winners here. If anything good were to come out of the fight, it would be if his death somehow brought about changes in the country ... however if anything, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the fans get a secret thrill out of the fact that occasionally the bull might win.

I don't respect the man, but I'm not happy he's dead, and it's absolutely tragic that it happened in front of his wife and parents. Not something I imagine they'll ever get over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Live by the sword, die by the bull.

....probably because the research wouldn't back that up ;)
    I've tried it and it's as tough as a brick.

Fair enough, will just make two clarifications, 1 this is second hand I was going by and it was specifically that stress just before slaughter causes acids that increase tenderness and taste. It's moot really as it shouldn't happen

It's just so cowardly. It doesn't take a big brave man to go into that ring when they know that the odds are pretty much always going to be in their favour.

Ah in fairness, they can sustain horrific goring injuries and they risk being killed.

I certainly would not spend my time drawing a bull closer and closer until they are just circling me. I wouldn't even enter a field with animals like that.

People may think it cruel...but that does not remove the bravery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

I was once chatting to a man who said he wanted to run and get injured in the run with the bulls (but not killed obviously). He wanted to get injured (or at least hit by one of the bulls) for the story.

Personally I figure it better not to have the story. No idea if he ever did it or not.

i won't take happiness in this death though. Odds are if the same man had been born elsewhere he would be against bull fighting and I can't guarantee that I would be against it if I was born there. I disagree with the practise though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    All the high and mighty brigade should spend an afternoon in an abatoir to see what animal suffering is..

I worked in one for two years, there's little (if any) suffering.

As for the matador ~ he knew what he was doing was very dangerous, I won't say 'fook him' because that would be disrespectful to him and what he does. But I will say 'Tough sh*t Paddy :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement