Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh mint - what to do with?

Options
  • 10-07-2016 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

My mint plants excelled themselves this year and I now have a glut of fresh mint. Apart from mint and yogurt dip, lamb koftas and way too many mojitos, I'm out of ideas of what to do with it.

I don't want to freeze it all if I can help it. I will freeze some but any ideas for using it now? ðŸ˜

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mint sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

With peas. With cucumbers, ripe tomatoes, and red onion in a salad dressed with balsamic vinegar. As a pesto. As a tisane (tea). Chew a few leaves to reduce motion sickness or relieve indigestion or sour stomach. Make a skin toner with antiseptic properties by boiling a couple handfuls of leaves gently in a couple cups of water, then straining and mixing with a little rose water and a few drops of lemon juice (store this in the refrigerator); you can also use this as a cooling body spray that helps prevent odor on warm days. Put mint in your flower bouquets to add freshness to the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Strawberries and mint go really well together both in desserts and savoury salad combinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mojitos?

Get a recipe for mint sauce online, make a batch and jar it for keeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

8oz peas
    4 tbls cream
    1 tbls butter
    2 tbls milk

Cream & milk into saucepan.
    Boil.
    Add peas and butter.
    Cook with lid on for 4-6 mins
    Throw in mint.
    Blitz with handblender to whatever consistency you like.

Freezes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sabrina Ghayour has a recipe for a delicious salad of Apple, red onion, sumac and mint in her latest book.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tabbouleh_91782
    I use equal parts mint and parsley and don't bother with the bulgar wheat.

Salsa Verde is lovely with any roast meat.

Make up a pot of green tea and add a bunch of mint leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I always add some fresh chopped mint to homemade potato salad

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

It's lovely in a cous cous salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

Brilliant ideas. Thanks a million. Can't believe I never thought of making mint sauce. I always buy it and use it with natural yogurt to make a dip when I don't have fresh mint. It would make more sense to make it. Also the mint tea, I have what I term a wibbly tummy at times, this sounds perfect.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Make and bottle this (extract and/or liqueur) to preserve the glut for your own use or gifts: http://thethingswellmake.com/recipe/homemade-peppermint-liqueur/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Slightly OT......I hope you have that mint in a pot and not in your garden!! Otherwise it will really excel and take over!! I had to get rid of mine - it just took over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

My favourite smoothie ever has mint in it.

1 mango (no skin)
    2 kiwis (no skin)
    Chopped mint leaves (if you like mint, you can go heavy on it here)
    1 tsp sugar/sweetener (optional)
    5-6 ice cubes
    200ml water

Blitz all this up in a blender and serve. Absolutely delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

You can make mint cordial with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭tringle

Dry some for mint tea over the winter

Advertisement