Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick 2020 party/event Tuesday 12th July.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Parchment wrote: »
    http://www.limerick2020.ie/news/article/open-invitation-to-limericks-biggest-street-party

Why would you organise something like this on a Tuesday..... with the majority of events finishing before 5pm? The mind boggles.

Do these people not work? Its actually laughable.
    Because that's the day the City of Culture judges are in town. Besides kids are off school and a lot of parents will be around. But don't let facts get in the way of a good moan at the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

adaminho wrote: »
    Because that's the day the City of Culture judges are in town. Besides kids are off school and a lot of parents will be around. But don't let facts get in the way of a good moan at the council.

Surely its more representative of the city to have judges here on a Saturday?

The kids are off school? Parents will be around? You do realise not everyone is a parent and many parents work during the day.

Its not a moan at the council its pointing out that something thats to benefit (hopefully winning the competition) the city actually excludes many of its residents who go to work and cant spend the day around town. But wait... we obviously all have kids and no jobs to go to so its fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 quizzical

Ah The City of Coulter Judges are in town that day, they are trying to show off our city in the best possible way... now relax will you stop moaning yes it's a Tuesday go and support your city and try and enjoy it! I'm working that day too it doesn't suit me either but I will try and make an effort to attend!

It's not laughable the amount of time and effort people have put in for this
    creditable...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Surely its more representative of the city to have judges here on a Saturday?

They don't get that choice. The judges are visiting all three bids Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

They don't get that choice. The judges are visiting all three bids Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Well i suppose that makes if fairer for all cities involved but surely more events should be on past 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Well i suppose that makes if fairer for all cities involved but surely more events should be on past 5pm.

Do they actually have to have any events on at all? It is for the judging committee couldn't they just drive them around the city, take them into the buildings of interest, introduce them to the people they have to meet. Why bother putting on a free event for the people of the city to attend or not as ever they see fit. Surely they should have asked each individual living and working in the city when would have suited them most for a free event before putting it on. A lot of people work on Saturdays and Sundays and in the evenings so it's a good job they didn't put it on then as they wouldn't be able to attend this free event. /sarcasm

Edit: I just checked and it doesn't look like (from a brief google search) that Galway or the 3 sisters are putting on a street event of any kind for the judging.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

This thread is a new low when it comes to moaning at the council/at the city. Dear god :rolleyes:

Townie_P wrote: »
    This thread is a new low when it comes to moaning at the council/at the city. Dear god :rolleyes:

I think its a pretty legitimate opinion - why have things on to justify our city winning this competition when a huge amount of people who live here are excluded from it?

Surely some things could have went on after 5pm? Or maybe i am crazy for wanting to attend things in my own city and hold down a job ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Surely some things could have went on after 5pm? Or maybe i am crazy for wanting to attend things in my own city and hold down a job ?!

Have you actually looked at the schedule? The Culture & Chips part of the event goes on until 7pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Edit: I just checked and it doesn't look like (from a brief google search) that Galway or the 3 sisters are putting on a street event of any kind for the judging.

Well given that the Galway Art Festival starts tomorrow I'm sure the judges will be shown plenty of events. Limerick are putting on something to show the judges what we could do if we were city of culture. Ya a Tuesday isn't ideal for an event like this in relation to people being able to go but it's the day the judging is taking place so they don't really have any other choice. People just seem to be using it as another excuse the bash the art department of the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭squonk

Galway are doing something as well like some kind of flashmob or something along those lines. I think they're just trying to get a crowd out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Expunge

If it's like every other day in Limerick, I expect the young men of the Travelling Community to put on a great show of Equestrian skills for the visiting judges.

If it's cultural expression the judges are after, they're coming to the right place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

For all the wrong reasons I think this will go to Galway...they organised a flash mob a few weeks ago and got 15,000 onto Shop St, I can only imagine what they have organised for the site visit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Expunge

Yes, you'd imagine it's Galway's to lose. They seem to have the momentum behind them, even though Limerick has the better arts infrastructure - a proper concert hall, exhibition spaces and a few decent and comfortable theatres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I was told the judges already visited Galway on Saturday, is that wrong so all visits are this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Strettie11

No can confirm judges are in Galway today.

Have to hand it the Galway organisers nearly everyone in Galway are wearing 2020 wristbands so everytime they shake hands with someone they are seeing the Galway2020 wristbands and also they have concentrated the public involvement on people being on the route out of the city to Limerick @ 4.45 today waving Galway 2020 flags.

But the Limerick bid have made a huge effort with what they have done around the city although the event tomorrow worries we a bit if it pours rain. But never underestimate limerick people to turn out.
    It is interesting to read the city of culture thread on Galway forum there is loads of moaning about the money spent on the bid and why do they need it considering all that is on in the city.

Ya Limerick 2020 have the pins but I always thought they should have done wristbands like Galway have. One thing is from being around Galway I think the flags and Limerick 2020 signs in shops look a lot more professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Strettie11

See the Galway flashmob thing will be the viking clap at the Docks. Sounds like something you would need anti biotics for !!

Bored_lad wrote: »
    Well given that the Galway Art Festival starts tomorrow I'm sure the judges will be shown plenty of events. Limerick are putting on something to show the judges what we could do if we were city of culture. Ya a Tuesday isn't ideal for an event like this in relation to people being able to go but it's the day the judging is taking place so they don't really have any other choice. People just seem to be using it as another excuse the bash the art department of the council.

I fail to see where i bashed the art department of the council. I said that a Tuesday is a silly day to have the event and more events should go on after 5pm/there should be events after 5pm. As stated by others - they had to have it the day the judges were here (nothing to do with the council) and then i assume the judges are not here infinitely so maybe thats why things are not on later. I never once slighted the work of the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

I fail to see where i bashed the art department of the council. I said that a Tuesday is a silly day to have the event and more events should go on after 5pm/there should be events after 5pm. As stated by others - they had to have it the day the judges were here (nothing to do with the council) and then i assume the judges are not here infinitely so maybe thats why things are not on later. I never once slighted the work of the council.

The judges are in town for the day, so events are on during the day. What bit don't you understand?
    Your whole rant was ill-informed. Fair play to council/committee for the effort they are making for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

The EVA symposium is on from 17:30-19:00 tomorrow. It's free and open to the public, you just have to book.

As other posters have said the judges are here during the day so it's kind of pointless spending money that we probably don't have to put events on past the times that the judges are here for. However, still there are events on past five o'clock.

Also anyone planning to go to EVA tomorrow especially if you have kids you should note that it is heavily lens based and the work on display in Cleeves is almost entirely lens based.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 quizzical

The street party is in until 7.00pm this evening..... #limerick2020... Lets all get it trending on twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Anyone know why green is the colour that Limerick are going with on their branding? It looks awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

zulutango wrote: »
    Anyone know why green is the colour that Limerick are going with on their branding? It looks awful.

County colours I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

County colours I guess.

They're the county colours in the sense that these are what the GAA use, but they're not the county colours in any official sense. I mean, could they not equally have chosen blue because these are the Limerick FC colours? So much effort is going in to the bid, and good marketing and branding is such an important part of it, but it all looks very tacky because of a silly decision to link the GAA colours with the bid. None of the other bids linked their county GAA colours to their branding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I like the green! Its also an Irish colour! Christ some people would moan about anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

Visit this forum often to read about Limerick, first time posting.

I have rarely come across such constant negativity regarding a city or town. The same posters on here are constantly whinging about Limerick be it the council, the streets, the festivals in town etc. Rather than give problems give solutions. Get away from your computer screen and contribute to the city, get involved. You obviously have skills, foresight and creativity that everyone else lacks.

Are people just looking for things to complain about green is the colour many people associate with Limerick and also with Ireland on a larger scale. Limerick's 2020 branding is by far the best out of the three cities in contention. The organisers have done an excellent job and I wish them all the best in their judging today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Agree on the general level of self deprecation on the thread also. I think once it was apparent the even went ahead on the Tuesday to suit the judges, moving to something as important as the colour of the flags and badges was vital, as the organisers did have control of that.

Anyway, I'm just back to work after popping up there on my lunch break. Few spots of drizzle but it died off, thankfully. Good crowd up there, all the suits just arriving in now for lunch break too. Good buzz and lots of families there. Plenty of tourists too, and good for them to enjoy something right in the city centre on a Tuesday. Finally got to try some Mexican Food Dudes which was tasty, big queue formed right after me. Got a huge slice of brownie from another stall to bring back to work for desert. The aerial spinny dancers (can't remember the name of the troupe) had kicked off while I was queueing so they kept me entertained. Spin south west and Limerick 95 were on hand with music, and spotted UTV Ireland doing a report for the news so will tune into that later.

All in all, a nice event, well presented and decorated with the large giant dinner table and plants. Place looked great. A worthy effort for the judges.

Advertisement