Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick 2020 party/event Tuesday 12th July.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I went down and had a look. Can't fault the event at all. There was a nice buzz, and the aerial display by fidget feet was very cool. I didn't get food because the queues were too long, but it was lunch time so that was to be expected.

The green branding is truly rank though and it was wrong to choose green simply because these are the Limerick GAA colours.

On a side note, this kind of event shows us the great possibilities for our urban spaces. O'Connell Street is wasted as a traffic thoroughfare, and it needn't be that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

City of Culture - Worth 10 Million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Can't believe people are giving out about green in the logo. Seriously...tiny tiny detail.

vkid wrote: »
    Can't believe people are giving out about green in the logo. Seriously...tiny tiny detail.

It's not really a tiny detail. When it comes to logos colour is fairly important!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

zulutango wrote: »
    It's not really a tiny detail. When it comes to logos colour is fairly important!!

Doesn't seem to bother anyone other that yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Had a look.
    Stalls alot the same as the recent food fest
    Hard to get anything at some of them
    Spinsouthwest djs awful choice of music tho
    Aerial show
    Not much else i saw at that time

Was a guy with star wars robots think it was fundraising for a wheelchair looked cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Congrats to everyone involved in the organisation of today's festivities.
    Looks like everyone "plugged in" to make something happen here.

Parents especially are desperately looking for ways to entertain their kids. For minimal budget local people should be encouraged to run events through the summer. The payback on small weekend festivals must be 100x at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

The Limerick 2020 Logo is white!

It's placed on backgrounds of different colours.

Congrats to everyone involved in the organisation of today's festivities.
    Looks like everyone "plugged in" to make something happen here.

Parents especially are desperately looking for ways to entertain their kids. For minimal budget local people should be encouraged to run events through the summer. The payback on small weekend festivals must be 100x at least.

Broadwalk was nice closed to traffic as ive said many times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

When will the decision be made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

spud82 wrote: »
    When will the decision be made?

Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

Friday.

Cool.Was there all day today superb atmosphere, would love to see us get it, would be amazing for the city

Disappointing there is no night time events on

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

bigpink wrote: »
    Had a look.
    Stalls alot the same as the recent food fest
    Hard to get anything at some of them
    Spinsouthwest djs awful choice of music tho
    Aerial show
    Not much else i saw at that time

Must have been very bad if you are whinging about it. You are usually so positive about things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Treepole wrote: »
    Must have been very bad if you are whinging about it. You are usually so positive about things.

Have that poster on ignore, always very negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

zulutango wrote:

Personally I think the green is a very minor detail, I like the logo though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The green is the main colour of our county arms and is the colour most associated with Limerick.

I was at the street party today which was mostly very enjoyable. Fidget Feet (the acrobats) really made it. At about four I wandered into town to see what else was on and that was a bit disappointing. I'd say it would have been better if I'd started at the Hunt/Arthurs Quay and made my way towards the Crescent as the other events were largely over by 4. The main complaint I'd have is that Thomas Street and Bedford Row seemed bizarrely empty in contrast to the festive atmosphere in the Crescent. If there could have been some few festive things on there it would have made the street party and the stalls on the Boardwalk feel better tied into town. For the last few years the Culture and Chips festival has been the same weekend as the TomCat festival and it would have been fantastic if the Limerick 2020 organisers could have somehow managed to keep them both tied together this year too. I'm sure for the most part the judges were led from the Hunt to Arthur's Quay Park, under Sarsfield Bridge and along the boardwalk to the Crescent, so they wouldn't have experienced the contrast. But Limerick is a physically large city and it would have been wonderful to have been able to showcase it more fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I thought today's events went very well. I actually saw the Judges on a few occasions. The weather was just fab. The morning not so good but the afternoon fabulous. I and other members of the Limerick Camera Club had a fabulous day photographically anyway lots to see and do. Some of the images on FB already are just excellent. There was a great buzz in the city too.

I like the green on the flags - the logo itself is brilliant. So what if Galway had flash mobs and wristbands. We had something different and that different worked well today. Lets be positive - I feel we have a very good chance of winning this bid. Limerick has a lot going for it. We can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

A big positive from today was the four main event areas; The Crescent, the boardwalk, the Urban Garden, and the (newly public) Custom House Park are all relatively new event areas in Limerick.
    Usually there are things on in Arthur's Quay, the People's Park, Bedford Row, the Market, but today showed that there are actually quite a few nice central spaces in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The biggest issue here is why so few are involved in, employed in and, critically, are even interested in any form of artistic or creative activity in Limerick City. Campaigns such as this current "2020" bid are conducted and promoted in a completely misguided and incoherent manner, propagating the notion of the "Arts" as being associated with the usual elitist clique rather than something to be engaged in and enjoyed by "ordinary" people.

Honest review and shows it can be build on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭squonk

chicorytip wrote: »
    The biggest issue here is why so few are involved in, employed in and, critically, are even interested in any form of artistic or creative activity in Limerick City. Campaigns such as this current "2020" bid are conducted and promoted in a completely misguided and incoherent manner, propagating the notion of the "Arts" as being associated with the usual elitist clique rather than something to be engaged in and enjoyed by "ordinary" people.

I agree! My first year here was in 2013 when the City of Culture was in full swing. My impression was that unless your idea of culture aligned with that of a certain clique, then there wasn't much for you. I'll say in fairness that I'm a traditional music fan so, Galway, where I came from, catered very well for that niche. Limerick caters better for the classical crowd but that's not my thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

As a Galwegian living in Limerick, and having spent a week in Galway last week, there was way more buzz about Limerick2020 in the city centre here ( visually at least - much more signage, sign painting, wall art etc) - very little of this was evident in Galway.
    I think winning would matter far more to Limerick than Galway, where it would be just another of their many festival events ( Galway Arts Festival, Film Fleadh, Cúirt, Sea Festival, theatre festival, etc etc)
    My own estimate is that the greatest challenge to Limerick is the Three Sisters bid, which looked to have a lot of interesting ideas.
    Hopeful for the bid, and even if we don't win, its good to get people thinking about what can be done. Better use of our urban spaces is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Garry123 wrote: »
    Visit this forum often to read about Limerick, first time posting.

I have rarely come across such constant negativity regarding a city or town. The same posters on here are constantly whinging about Limerick be it the council, the streets, the festivals in town etc. Rather than give problems give solutions. Get away from your computer screen and contribute to the city, get involved. You obviously have skills, foresight and creativity that everyone else lacks.
    There are a number of posters here who are negative about everything. Thankfully, the future of our city isn't in their hands. If it was Limerick would never progress.

They're the county colours in the sense that these are what the GAA use, but they're not the county colours in any official sense. I mean, could they not equally have chosen blue because these are the Limerick FC colours? So much effort is going in to the bid, and good marketing and branding is such an important part of it, but it all looks very tacky because of a silly decision to link the GAA colours with the bid. None of the other bids linked their county GAA colours to their branding.

Green has been the county colour for as long as I know, not just the GAA colours. The old county arms was Green & White and the new City & County logo is also Green.... Fail to see what the issue is, Green is the natural and obvious choice.

https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/limco.png
    http://www.mwasp.ie/assets/img/Limcounty.png

Townie_P wrote: »

Green has been the county colour for as long as I know, not just the GAA colours. The old county arms was Green & White and the new City & County logo is also Green.... Fail to see what the issue is, Green is the natural and obvious choice.

https://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/limco.png

The city coat of arms was red, and a hell of a lot better than that manky combined city and county one.

http://www.limerick.com/about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

limerick-city-coat-of-arms1.jpglimco.png100px-Limerick_county_arms.png

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

The city coat of arms was red, and a hell of a lot better than that manky combined city and county one.

http://www.limerick.com/about
    So it should be Red so, is that what you're saying? If you went out and asked 100 people to name the colour that you'd associate with Limerick, you'd be hard pressed to find many who'd say Red.

Some of ye will be complaining about which way the wind is blowing next :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Townie_P wrote: »
    So it should be Red so, is that what you're saying? If you went out and asked 100 people to name the colour that you'd associate with Limerick, you'd be hard pressed to find many who'd say Red.

Some of ye will be complaining about which way the wind is blowing next :p

Then he would be complaining that we are using the Munster colours only to say it should have been blue because the Munster crest is Blue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

Luckily I'm colour blind and not given to outrage over pantones.

Advertisement