Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick 2020 party/event Tuesday 12th July.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Strettie11

Galway selected as 2020 European Capital of Culture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

Galway Got the Nod

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

Well done to Galway, Hopefully we get some feedback as i thought we put on a great display , fingers crossed that it wasn't the pretty streets that won it for Galway. Limerick has been through so much in the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I guess there'll be a report as to why Galway won and we (or the Three Sisters bid) didn't.

It'll be a learning experience, if nothing else. In a way I think it's better that we didn't get it. I do think a real shake up of how the city is managed is required before we're bestowed with this kind of title. We'd only mess it up othewise (à la the 2014 CoC year). The street party was great, but that kind of thing is only papering over the cracks. I'm sure the people involved all did their best, but they work in a flawed system and in some cases those flaws run very deep, and need to be fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Ok fair enough. Lets put that culture back in the closet where it usually goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Hopefully the pride that was shown in the city in the lead up to the decision isn't parked and the people in power go back to going through the power. Our city has so much potential, hopefully we can learn from this and help Limerick achieve its potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

As expected as it was I have to say I am dissappointed.

What irritates me about Galway is the complete lack of a Cultural infrastructure and seemingly oblivious need for one, along with what I suspect an appetite to flog "culture" as a tool to fill hotels/bars/restuarantes, which they do very successfully, the city produces no discerning exportable Culture not an ounce, and are seemingly completely oblivious to this also...

The bid must have been impressive because we know locally a lot of work was put into the Limerick bid, for that reason I do congratulate them.

The real reason I am dissappointed is because had Limerick won the designation it would have gone a long way in burying the distorted narrative that has hung over this city for 30 odd years, not to mention the economic impact for the region.

I hope our local authority figures realise the potential the city has and invest accordingly...I'm not so sure they will...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

zulutango wrote: »
    I guess there'll be a report as to why Galway won and we (or the Three Sisters bid) didn't.

It'll be a learning experience, if nothing else. In a way I think it's better that we didn't get it. I do think a real shake up of how the city is managed is required before we're bestowed with this kind of title. We'd only mess it up othewise (à la the 2014 CoC year). The street party was great, but that kind of thing is only papering over the cracks. I'm sure the people involved all did their best, but they work in a flawed system and in some cases those flaws run very deep, and need to be fixed.

You're obviously unhappy living in Limerick, why don't you leave?

How did we mess up in 2014?

Please tell us the very deep flaws that exist and how you propose to fix them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Well done to Galway.

I'm a bit disappointed as Galway has always been hugely successful at marketing their city and being very successful commercially with so many different festivals. Limerick would have been boosted by this far more than Galway will be. It's like a multi-millionaire winning the Lotto.

The only upshot is that the usual clique in Limerick won't be benefiting financially from this.

I'd love if this did cause more people to get involved in organising and running events in Limerick. I for one don't and I should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

I think Galway was always the likely winner. In many respects they have always been the capital of Irish Culture and that was going to give then a head start. I'd suspect the shambles that the luvvie set initially made of the 2013 Irish city of culture thing didn't help. A lot of the same egos who fought the bitter and very public luvvie civil war back then were still hovering around this bid like flies to **** so that wouldn't have helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

Limerick needed the award whereas to Galway it's a bonus, I feel that's why so many of us are disheartened by the decision. As Supersonic put it , "It's like a multi-millionaire winning the Lotto".
    The figures stated above by Johnny Bravolll are the reason why Limerick needed this so much. The nominee who needs the award most is not always the most deserving hence why Galway won. Hats off the the limerick 2020 team who put so much time and effort into the project which has resulted in a renowned sense of pride in our city .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

"After falling during the previous inter-censal period of 2006 to 2011 by -0.2 per cent, Cork City has grown by 5.4 per cent compared with 4.2 per cent for the county; Galway City has increased by 5.3 per cent, far stronger than the county which is showing an increase of 2.2 per cent, while Waterford City has seen growth of 3.5 per cent compared with only 1.4 per cent for the county. " limerick grew by 2.1%. The lowest in Ireland.

The city continues to stagnate. The Coc would have been great but it's no long term fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Hopefully this will spur people on in Limerick to aim higher and deliver better services, events and facilities for the people and visitors alike.
    My take on it :

- Sort out the city centre. All the slogans, art or pictures you put on buildings and footpaths cannot really hide the state of the buildings in the city and the amount of derelict / empty buildings. Stop talking and start doing something.

- Enjoyed what I saw on Tuesday, but thought it was a bit top heavy on the arty side of things. that might just be my own perception of it. It might also reflect the people involved, but there is more to a city than its art and food. Didn't think, for a city that is so proud of its sporting heritage that it got much of a look in for example, but I might have missed that. Maybe the arty stuff is what they wanted to push. Defining culture is difficult though.

- Noticed in the census, Limerick city population increased marginally...very marginally. Despite the merger of councils, is the city boundary still exactly the same? Big mistake if that is the case, and disappointing if so. It effects everything, jobs , funding, culture and everything else. Missed opportunity if that is not sorted out.

All in all though, well done to all involved.Lets hope the powers that be, do learn from it and actually move on from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

Well done to Galway.

I'm a bit disappointed as Galway has always been hugely successful at marketing their city and being very successful commercially with so many different festivals. Limerick would have been boosted by this far more than Galway will be. It's like a multi-millionaire winning the Lotto.

The only upshot is that the usual clique in Limerick won't be benefiting financially from this.

I'd love if this did cause more people to get involved in organising and running events in Limerick. I for one don't and I should.

I see what you're getting at, but it's not really. It's a cultured city winning a competition about culture?

It's a real shame we didn't snag it, but Limerick's bid appeared pretty manufactured and not very indicative of life in Limerick in 2016. You go up to Galway and you can see it's brimming with life and culture. You see street art. You see people busking and crowds around them. People having the craic just walking around you. Loads of tourists. Lots of beautiful surroundings and flags waving from buildings. You see people sitting down painting in the street. Even haunty ones seem a bit more cultured. You see anything and everything there. Limerick isn't about giant chairs and food stalls, which is all we can ever seem to come up with. Giant furniture and food. I'm not trying to sound like I can do better, but that aspect has always annoyed me. Riverfest? FOOD STALLS! City of Culture? FOOD STALLS! Urban Jungle? FOOD TRUCKS! Cruises St? FOOD MARKET!

Our culture has to be more than pop-up white stalls.

Limerick's team didn't really start to push their agenda until the last two months - and while painting the derelict Opera House is actually really nice and looks class, it's very telling of Limerick's issue. We had to wait for a reason to "pretty up" that part of town that's been untouched for most of my adolescence. We had to wait for judges to come into town for us to give a **** about how it looks and be "proud". How is that culture? That's just trying to appease an external committee. Like how people tidy up their houses when they have someone coming over and then it's back to being a kip when their gone.

It would be nice and felt much more authentic if stuff like that happened organically, just because that's Limerick. Not because of a competition. I feel like the judges saw through that. Where was King John's implemented into the showcase on Tuesday? Why wasn't there any water activities? The top of O Connell St was such an odd choice. Probably for traffic reasons, which is very Limerick...

Really hope this has sparked something and we can continue to beautify Limerick and it wasn't all for show for that one day.

Well done to Galway.

I see what you're getting at, but it's not really. It's a cultured city winning a competition about culture?

It's a real shame we didn't snag it, but Limerick's bid appeared pretty manufactured and not very indicative of life in Limerick in 2016. You go up to Galway and you can see it's brimming with life and culture. You see street art. You see people busking and crowds around them. People having the craic just walking around you. Loads of tourists. Lots of beautiful surroundings and flags waving from buildings. You see people sitting down painting in the street. Even haunty ones seem a bit more cultured. You see anything and everything there. Limerick isn't about giant chairs and food stalls, which is all we can ever seem to come up with. Giant furniture and food. I'm not trying to sound like I can do better, but that aspect has always annoyed me. Riverfest? FOOD STALLS! City of Culture? FOOD STALLS! Urban Jungle? FOOD TRUCKS! Cruises St? FOOD MARKET!

Our culture has to be more than pop-up white stalls.

Limerick's team didn't really start to push their agenda until the last two months - and while painting the derelict Opera House is actually really nice and looks class, it's very telling of Limerick's issue. We had to wait for a reason to "pretty up" that part of town that's been untouched for most of my adolescence. We had to wait for judges to come into town for us to give a **** about how it looks and be "proud". How is that culture? That's just trying to appease an external committee. Like how people tidy up their houses when they have someone coming over and then it's back to being a kip when their gone.

It would be nice and felt much more authentic if stuff like that happened organically, just because that's Limerick. Not because of a competition. I feel like the judges saw through that. Where was King John's implemented into the showcase on Tuesday? Why wasn't there any water activities? The top of O Connell St was such an odd choice. Probably for traffic reasons, which is very Limerick...

Really hope this has sparked something and we can continue to beautify Limerick and it wasn't all for show for that one day.

This was the |European City of Culture juries comments in December about the Limerick. It is long but an interesting read I have highlighted a piece on national city of culture

Limerick
    Limerick’s bid is formed around “Multiplicity”. This concept emerged from
    research by the University of Limerick Intelligence Unit Culture Lab working with young researchers and the wider community. It recognises the multiple
    Limericks which now co-exist. Limericks cultural strategy 2015-2030 is
    Selection of the European Capital of Culture in 2020 in Ireland
    Pre-selection Stage
    embedded in the regional development plan. The strategy has three strands and nine embedded ambitions. The strands are culture and capacity; the nature of the city and Limerick as a Living Lab. The cultural vision of the strategy shapes the bid for the ECOC title. The ECOC itself has three values: integration,innovation and imagination. The bidbook links these to the appropriate strandsof the cultural strategy.

The proposed operating budget for the ECOC is €35m of which €24.718m is
    earmarked for the programme expenditure.
    The panel acknowledged the long term and comprehensive nature of the cultural strategy. The presentation team put this into context by pointing out that several years ago Limerick was a “broken city” bypassed by the boom years of the “Celtic Tiger”. By hosting the Irish National City of Culture title in 2014 the city had boosted the self-esteem of citizens and demonstrated the importance of culture in the progressive development of the city. It had shown its capacity to manage a year-long arts festival. The panel was less convinced that the approach to the ECOC, which requires a strong European dimension, was sufficiently different from approach taken for Limerick2014. It would have been important to hear more about the concrete legacies of this year and how the results of the year would be built upon, especially as there had been two formal external impact evaluations.
    The cultural strategy has a wide and comprehensive list of indicators and targets set over a long time period. The panel appreciated the direction these legacy issues were taking but was uncertain on the direct role and added value the ECOC would have in achieving many of the targets and was concerned that few related to the European and international nature of an ECOC.

The proposed programme was outlined in the bidbook. It is based around the
    three values of integration, innovation and imagination. The panel welcomed the strong emphasis on creating residencies in a wider than usual range of sectors.
    The bid outlined a strong development of the individual creative industry sectors which could be worked up into a more strategic approach for the creative industries.
    The panel felt that the programme had many individual strong points within an uncertain overall artistic vision (the three values are rather general and can apply to virtually all cultural activities). The panel would expect a greater international focus with more co-curation and co-production at this stage of the bid. The more successful ECOCs have elements which go beyond the local (and national) audience. The panel did not see strong evidence at this stage of possible events of a high artistic excellence in the programme which would do this. Consequently the panel was uncertain how the programme would be attractive to international visitors beyond the normal tourists.
    Pre-selection Stage
    The proposed programme includes projects with international partners funded
    from the competitive Creative Europe programme and the panel shared the bid
    team’s hope that many would be successful.
    The bidbook set out the intention to develop exhibitions on topics including land,
    sea, community and industry. The panel would expect to see more detailed
    information on these exhibitions, including their international partners in the
    second stage. The panel noted that in a city with over 50% under the age of 30
    there was a desire to have an “age friendly city”. This, along with several other
    themes and ideas in the bidbook has a wider European interest and forms the
    basis for more detailed international partnership opportunities.
    The panel felt that the programme outlined in the bidbook lacked a degree of
    decisive innovation, partly in the digital arena. It was under-developed at this
    stage of the bid.
    A number of cultural infrastructure projects were outlined in the bidbook; whilst
    it was clear that these positive developments are consistent with the cultural
    strategy it was less clear which ones would directly be utilised by the ECOC
    programme itself.
    The European Dimension highlights many existing partnerships; these form a
    good foundation for subsequent development but the panel did not see a major
    step change. An aim of an ECOC is to build new links, new partnerships and to
    extend the international nature of the cultural offer in a city. The European
    Dimension is a noticeable difference between a national city of culture and an
    ECOC which has a more international emphasis both in its programme and
    ambition. The panel would have expected to see a central element where
    citizens of Limerick would increase their awareness of the diversity of cultures in
    Europe as well as integration with the cultures of the “new Irish” in the city.
    The panel noticed the strong support for the bid from the political parties and
    the Chief Executive and welcomed the Charter of Cohesion signed by many
    stakeholders.
    The bidbook described an extensive programme of consultation with many
    interesting formats including the “Kitchen Table” approach of small meetings.
    The panel welcomed the work with schools. It gained experience in 2014 on how
    to engage with citizens, beyond being spectators and audience. It was less clear
    of the impact these consultations had with the projected programme.
    The proposed operating budget of €35m is, in general terms, adequate at this
    stage. The panel considered the combined contribution of the city and region at
    24% of total income to be rather low and did not reflect the degree of support
    and commitment set out in the bidbook. The panel notes the proposed private
    sector funding at 18% is ambitious for an ECOC (none have achieved this level)
    although the presentation team was optimistic. The panel was concerned that
    Pre-selection Stage
    there was no funding set aside for 2021. There is a substantial amount of work
    required in the year after an ECOC, including evaluations and legacy hand-overs.
    The progressive ramp up of the expenditure facilitates an incremental approach
    to programming (which was less evident in the programme section of the
    bidbook). This may offset the recent decline in the cultural budget of the city
    The panel noted the different contributions from the national government in
    tables 6.2.2 and 6.2.5. The idea of the “Round-Up” funding approach in the
    retail and hotel sectors is an innovative step for an ECOC.
    The panel considered the proposed 10% for wages, overheads and
    administration to be low in the light of experience (rather than plans) of recent
    ECOCs which tend towards the 15-18% level.
    The panel welcomed the reassurance that the Director of the cultural programme
    will have the final say in the artistic content of the programme (subject to the
    final bidbook and finances).
    The panel noted the independence of the special purpose company although
    raised the question that it may be overbalanced at Board level with institutional
    members. There was also a concern about the relationship of the Board to an
    umbrella Limerick2030 committee of the Council and how this may compromise
    the independence of the ECOC organisation.
    Overall the panel was impressed with the commitment to a long term cultural
    strategy as a core element of the city, and regional, development. The goals for
    2030 with building infrastructure, new developments such as the Troy Studios
    are ambitious. The consultation and citizens engagement has been conducted
    widely and openly. Limerick’s successful national city of culture programme in
    2014 could form the basis for a successful ECOC. The panel consider that the
    programme as outlined needs considerable development with a particular
    emphasis on the European Dimension criterion.

That makes it look like Limerick was never really considered a serious contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah, lots of mentions of concerns and use of the word "ambitious" in a negative sense.

That's actually quite damning! Will heads roll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

It's seems from the preliminary at Christmas the alplication needed some work. I'd be curious to see the final decision published.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

Fair play to Galway. It oozes 'culture' . Limerick city dosent even have a record store.
    Not knocking the effort but there is more to 'culture' than one off showpiece events for the middle classes.

teddyhead wrote: »
    Fair play to Galway. It oozes 'culture' . Limerick city dosent even have a record store.
    Not knocking the effort but there is more to 'culture' than one off showpiece events for the middle classes.

Including or excluding "classes" has never been in issue in Limerick, in a divided country this is the one city that doesn't deny the difference it almost embraces it....we were simply beaten by a more dynamic/slick machine....

Including or excluding "classes" has never been in issue in Limerick, in a divided country this is the one city that doesn't deny the difference it almost embraces it....we were simply beaten by a more dynamic/slick machine....

I'd have to say there's a pretty significant class divide in Limerick. It's not always evident for sure, but most of these events are catered towards a small portion of the population of Limerick. We can all wishfully think people like art here and had a clue about EVA or are up to date on the new exhibitions at the Galley but the reality is more people care about Beauty Boxx, D'Icon or the latest rugby score.

Don't get me wrong, everywhere has their "wanz" and nicer areas. I mean the 303 is no different to the Luas Red Line and the opposite for the 304 and Green Line.

Limerick is just a prominently lower class city than any other in Ireland. I grew up in a low socioeconomic area, so I hope I don't sound like I'm being a snob. It really is just fact. Hence why we have a (second) Dealz going into a 2 story prime retail unit that has remained untouched for years and other vacant stores that can't be filled, while Galway has it's pick of shops and stores that would never touch off Limerick.

Everyone is saying us winning would have changed this, but would it? The only thing that is going to change Limerick, is changing Limerick. And I don't mean by adding art to it's current state. By building the Opera Centre. Expanding the city. We don't, or at least SHOULDN'T, need to be a City of Culture to do any of that. If we do, that really shows the desperate state we are in!

I know I'm all talk. I wish I could actually get the ball rolling because Limerick could be fantastic, but I wouldn't have a clue sadly.

I'd have to say there's a pretty significant class divide in Limerick. It's not always evident for sure, but most of these events are catered towards a small portion of the population of Limerick. We can all wishfully think people like art here and had a clue about EVA or are up to date on the new exhibitions at the Galley but the reality is more people care about Beauty Boxx, D'Icon or the latest rugby score. Nothing stopping you from caring about both (and I'm sure there are that do) but they would be few and far between!

Don't get me wrong, everywhere has their "wanz" and nicer areas. I mean the 303 is no different to the Luas Red Line and the opposite for the 304 and Green Line.

Limerick is just a prominently lower class city than any other in Ireland. I grew up in a low socioeconomic area, so I hope I don't sound like I'm being a snob. It really is just fact. Hence why we have a (second) Dealz going into a 2 story prime retail unit that has remained untouched for years and other vacant stores that can't be filled, while Galway has it's pick of shops and stores that would never touch off Limerick.

Everyone is saying us winning would have changed this, but would it? The only thing that is going to change Limerick, is changing Limerick. And I don't mean by adding art to it's current state. By building the Opera Centre. Expanding the city. We don't, or at least SHOULDN'T, need to be a City of Culture to do any of that. If we do, that really shows the desperate state we are in!

I know I'm all talk. I wish I could actually get the ball rolling because Limerick could be fantastic, but I wouldn't have a clue sadly.

As a comparison here was judges comments on Galway bid in December criticisms here also but alot of positive comments

Galway
    Galway’s bid was presented under the banner “Making Waves”.
    The city’s cultural strategy, a ten year vision (2015-2025), was published in
    September 2015. The main goals are to highlight the benefits of culture, to
    guarantee access to resources, to foster employment and innovation in the
    cultural and creative sectors, to protect and enhance Galway’s distinctive cultural heritage and to consider the contribution of technology. The City and County councils have committed to increase their overall spend on arts and culture from 4.7% to 15% to support this strategy.

The ECOC is complementary to this strategy; it does not seek to tackle all of its aims. Actions within the strategy on capacity building, access to culture and protection of cultural heritage will facilitate delivery of the ECOC. The bid
    includes Galway city and the surrounding rural areas and islands.
    The ECOC programme structure has six strands within the “Making Waves”
    theme: Wave; Tucla: Surf, Splanc, Swell and Perfect Storm.
    The proposed operating budget is €45.750m of which €35.650m is for
    programme expenditure.
    The panel recognised the ambition of the region in developing its cultural and
    social offers. It is already a UNESCO City of Film and is bidding for the European Region of Gastronomy in 2018 and the European Youth Capital in 2019. The bidbook did not explain how these titles (assuming success) would relate to the ECOC and how they might impact on the admittedly underdeveloped managerial competences in the region.
    The panel appreciated the enthusiasm of the presentation team which
    complemented the extensive consultation and listening process. The team
    continued in this vein during the Q&A indicating ability to on-board take new
    ideas and respond to sometimes critical comments.
    The cultural strategy clearly sets out the objectives for culture in the regional
    development. There were several interesting approaches including the “Galway 2020 Book of Stories”. The challenges facing city/rural areas is an European issue although the panel was less clear how the ECOC was going to address this at a European rather than regional level. The bid preparation did not seem to have sought out similar areas in Europe for learning and partnership as would be expected at this stage. The panel recognised the clear role the ECOC would play within the cultural strategy and the interlinking within the strategy of foundations for the ECOC.

The programme is based on a clear and coherent strategy. The range and
    diversity of projects is well set out for this stage of the competition. There were some imaginative ideas (eg Hy Brasil).
    The panel noted several ambitious aspirations in the proposed programme: 50% of the projects in the rural areas; every project to have a European partner; streaming of all events and activities. At this stage however the panel was not clear on how these were to be achieved.

The panel was impressed with the “Fuinneog/Window on the World” project, a
    virtual ECOC. This has the potential to be an innovative aspect of an ECOC
    (along with the programme being developed in Matera2019 who have had an
    online TV station for several years). At this stage the project appears to have
    more a dissemination focus rather than artistic content, which needs to be
    developed in the programme. The cooperation with IT companies is only at a
    first stage which gave the panel some uncertainty on the feasibility of the
    project. Many possible partners were listed in the project outlines, but their role in the cultural and artistic programme was not clear. The Gilgamesh project provides a “fil rouge” through the year.
    The panel felt that the poetically designated “Making Waves” was an apt
    overarching theme but six strands of a programme may be difficult to market to people; most ECOCs tend to run 3 or 4 themes with a degree of clarity.

The panel felt that the European Dimension was the least developed part of the bid. It was covered in only one page of the bidbook and did not set out a
    comprehensive strategy to meet the three elements of the criterion. The panel noted that the “impact score” attached to European engagement, in the risk analysis, was low; as this is central to an ECOC a maximum score is more appropriate.
    As noted above the aspiration to have a European partner in every project was not elaborated; this has proven difficult to achieve, especially where open calls are envisaged. There were potentially strong areas for development in a European context: culture in rural areas, the Irish language (which deserves more than the Jam Jar project), maritime villages etc.
    The bid has the clear support at political and executive levels (and the business community).
    The city and region have the proven capacity to manage one-off large scale
    events; it needs to show it can develop this for a year-long major programme in addition to the normal cultural offer. Most ECOCs have in excess of 500 events over and above their normal cultural offer. The panel has concerns over the ability of the region (including in the rural areas with 50% of the programme) to manage a venture of this magnitude and gave importance to the capacity building programme to upscale the cultural management in the region. This needs to be outlined in more detail.
    The bid noted that retaining skilled people was a main challenge for the region and this capacity building is a key element in seeking to retain talent. The panel appreciated the interesting proposal to create a network for city creative hubs and considered this may need to be associated within the capacity building strategy. The panel also noted the risk that tourist accommodation may be a constraint in an ECOC year.

The panel appreciated the well set out analysis of the consultation and
    engagement activities. During the presentation the Galway team said that the
    discussions went beyond marketing and information giving about the ECOC and went into proposals for the programme although this was not clear in the
    bidbook.
    The overall proposed budget is sound at this stage. The panel noted the equal
    funding from the city/county with that from the national government which is a healthy balance. Of particular note was the agreement of the local business
    community to an increase in the business rate, on the condition it is used for the ECOC. This is an exceptional statement of intent and support.
    The panel felt that the projected wages and overheads component of the budget is well below the levels achieved (rather than planned in bidbooks) in recent ECOCs (closer to 15-18% rather than 10%).
    The governance of the ECOC is yet to be finalised which led to uncertainty on the panel. It was not clear where decisions would be taken and in particular it was uncertain on the authority of artistic director who needs final authority on the artistic programme (subject to the vision and programme in the final bidbook).

The panel also questioned the rather late timing for the recruitment of the
    artistic director.
    The panel recognised the ambition and drive to use culture in the development of the region. This is clearly articulated and the role of the ECOC within the overall strategy is clearly set out. There is an undoubted passion behind the project. The programme outline at this stage is sound but is let down by a weak exposition of the European Dimension beyond cultural partnership; more is expected at this stage. There is a strong starting ambition of innovation. The capacity building programme will be crucial and needs further elaboration and costing. The governance proposals need a rethink.

What is culture and how does Galway ooze it?

I'd have to say there's a pretty significant class divide in Limerick. It's not always evident for sure, but most of these events are catered towards a small portion of the population of Limerick. We can all wishfully think people like art here and had a clue about EVA or are up to date on the new exhibitions at the Galley but the reality is more people care about Beauty Boxx, D'Icon or the latest rugby score.

Look at this a different way, Galway lost their bid for 2005 (it went to Cork) at a time when they needed it more than we do now, at the time Galway was the most economically deprived city in the country (it began to catch up after it was included in an EU initiate to help regions who were struggling economically) and the sky didn't fall in on them...to be fair they got on with building a reputation, facilitated by National Media it must be said, for being a "Cultural Jewel" today it is home to over 100 festivals...it is not a shopping destination, you are quiet mistaken on that one...

Galway has received millions of cultural funding (Druid Theatre Group are state funded for instance) and in my belief instead of investing in infrastructure, theatres/art galleries, where local talent is blooded on stage it invested in festivals...that is a real shame, and may go someway in explaining why Galway doesn't produce talent the same way Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Waterford do...

Until 2014 i myself who would have been plugged in to the events around the city would have been unaware of how culturally layered this city actually is, for such a small city we have an awful lot of depth...so what if Irish people don't appreciate it...but surely our own citizens could make the effort, I mean it is not hard to find...if you started there it would be a great contribution to your own city...

A city pays a big price for popularity, think of all the weekend pissheads/stags/hens that need to be entertained all year round (this demographic of tourist doesn't give a f**k about art galleries or museums or small festivals)...Limerick does cater for very niche cultural tastes but it doesn't matter what socio economic backround you come from, no one cares...and by the way, the city has a very high (by Irish standards) level of disposable income, it doesn't look like a city with affluence, it doesn't act like a city with affluence...that is what makes it unpretentious...in other cities there exists a Northside/Southside divide...take a closer look at Dublin, it is horrific how divided that city is...

I agree with you, we shouldn't need a designation to improve/grow, but the impact LCOC 2014 had on the people who gave it the time it deserved were by and large blown away by the entire program, and really shifted the mindset in a lot of local people, I actually think that the thinking in Limerick is really beginning to change, what happens next will closely watched by everyone in the city...

Limerick doesn't have a strip club either...what does that make us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Yikes!! Looks like all Galway residents are not fans of their city...

Galway poet skewers City of Culture in a savage ode - today's Sindo:
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/festivals/galway-poet-skewers-city-of-culture-in-a-savage-ode-34889775.html

Excerpts from Our Killer City

By Rita Ann Higgins

Galway's bid to win Capital of Culture is all twenty twenty give the horse plenty.
    We're in with a great chance, until they hear about the legionnaires' disease outbreak in the fire station, where our life savers need saving.

The birds are tweeting about the arrival of the jury this July.

The word is out they'll rule on the bid.
    Best to keep them councillors out of sight, with the malarkey they go on with, in city hall.

Govern, govern my arse they wouldn't govern a sly fart on a runway.

We'll end up crowned the capital of fools.

My ogyny, your ogyny, misogyny.

We laugh about it at bus stops.
    We say, aren't some of our elected representatives a laughing stock.

We'll never get Capital of Culture if they look through that window.

Some people live their lives so they can die on a trolley in Galway's A&E.
    Just wait and wait and wait and you'll die waiting.

Eighteen million on a new block and not a new bed in sight or on site.

The swans in the canals all know, we underpay our nurses we underpay our teachers we overpay our consultants and we don't know why.

This is fair-play city, or unfair play city if you are a woman working for years in NUIG and hoping for a promotion.
    Hashtag-go-Micheline-go.

This is pity city, ****ty city.

Sewage in your nostrils city.
    This is Galway city of expert panels.

City of slickers and slackers who name-call Travellers knackers.

If you want the odour of outrage ask the students at GMIT who have to re-sit exams.

Allegations of cheating.

Oh no not this again.

They are coming in July to rule on the bid.

We'll hide that bit of news about the GMIT and the gender discrimination in NUIG in the parlour that never gets used.

To that we'll throw the new block, the bedless block at University Hospital Galway.

This is Galway slicker and slacker.

Have your home burgled by your favourite nephew, while you are at his other aunt's funeral.

He didn't know it was her house and he didn't know taking her jewellery without her permission was stealing.

This is Galway the bidding city the forbidding city.

Where the woman in court apologised to her man for putting him through this.

The judge asked her, did he apologise to you when he was sticking that screwdriver in your forehead?

No but he wasn't feeling himself that day your honour.

To hell with local artists what do they bring the city?

nothing but scruffy dogs and ripped jeans, hippies with hobbies the lot of them.

As for the buskers, wanting to fit in with the odour of outrage.

Move them on, hide them in GMIT, or The Picture Palace.

Don't mention local artists at all.

Let it be like they don't exist.

Raise the rents is the best way to keep the ripped-jeans gang out, like it's always been.

Artists me arse.

This is Galway, the bidding city the forbidding city.

City of thieves or is it scribes or is it tribes?

The jury are coming this July, the word is out they'll rule on the bid, for Capital of Culture twenty twenty give the horse plenty.

We have a great little city here, a pity little city, a ****ty little city.

• Advertisement

Ah but it oozes culture.

Advertisement