Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick 2020 party/event Tuesday 12th July.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 locksloughnane

Did anyone read the bid booklet? It is very bad. No surprise at all we lost, we totally missed the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Did anyone read the bid booklet? It is very bad. No surprise at all we lost, we totally missed the point.

Bock's take on it is worth a read - http://bocktherobber.com/2016/07/reviewing-limerick-2020-bid-book/

Between this and the footbridge fiasco, the senior management of the city council is showing itself up to be a bunch of rank amateurs. Limerick surely deserves better than these people in charge.

If I hear the words 'wow factor' and 'iconic' one more time ... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Including or excluding "classes" has never been in issue in Limerick, in a divided country this is the one city that doesn't deny the difference it almost embraces it....we were simply beaten by a more dynamic/slick machine....

Sorry, but that's rubbish.

How many times over the years have we heard of people described as "massive rugby men" as if it was an upworthy mobile attribute that you'd include on a CV.
    Limerick is the same as anywhere else when it comes to class. Nobody ever gave a toss about us playing underage soccer in Limerick. It was all about the rugby, even back in the AIL days? Why is that? It was the thing to be seen to be at. Simple as. Even worse if you were a soccer player who was into alternative music. Dirty grunger? Is that what we were called? I think so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

seachto7 wrote: »

How many times over the years have we heard of people described as "massive rugby men" as if it was an upworthy mobile attribute that you'd include on a CV.
    Limerick is the same as anywhere else when it comes to class. Nobody ever gave a toss about us playing underage soccer in Limerick. It was all about the rugby, even back in the AIL days? Why is that? It was the thing to be seen to be at. Simple as. Even worse if you were a soccer player who was into alternative music. Dirty grunger? Is that what we were called? I think so...

Ah come out of the clouds, a lot of football players are in bands let alone into alternative music....you sound more like a footballer carrying baggage over the recognition rugby players received back in the day...nothing to do with class issues...never in my life have I heard the term dirty grunger...

zulutango wrote: »
    Bock's take on it is worth a read - http://bocktherobber.com/2016/07/reviewing-limerick-2020-bid-book/

Between this and the footbridge fiasco, the senior management of the city council is showing itself up to be a bunch of rank amateurs. Limerick surely deserves better than these people in charge.

If I hear the words 'wow factor' and 'iconic' one more time ... :mad:

..or "Edgy"...

We were never within an asses roar of this, bid book or no bid book, we simply didn't get what they were looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What are you on about? Hyde Rd, Edward St and Parnell St are full of massive rugby men. So is the Island. I'd hardly call those two areas upwardly mobile yet they're the bases of two of the citys most successful rugby clubs.
    Are you trying to claim that nobody ever gave a toss about underage soccer in those areas? I know plenty of Young Munster, Shannon, Garryowen etc people you are also heavily involved in Junior and underage soccer in the city.
    I'm sorry but your rant complete and utter BS.

What are you on about? Hyde Rd, Edward St and Parnell St are full of massive rugby men. So is the Island. I'd hardly call those two areas upwardly mobile yet they're the bases of two of the citys most successful rugby clubs.
    Are you trying to claim that nobody ever gave a toss about underage soccer in those areas? I know plenty of Young Munster, Shannon, Garryowen etc people you are also heavily involved in Junior and underage soccer in the city.
    I'm sorry but your rant complete and utter BS.

Ok so. Why did the rugby players get the recognition in the AIL days? :)

To say the class issue doesn't exist in Limerick is utter rubbish. You only have to drive out to Killaloe on a sunny day to hear the fake twangs from the "Limerick set". Come out of the clouds yourselves...

Sign is on, the fashion to this day in Limerick is still dubarry deck shoes...

There is a class divide, but I doubt it's a whole lot different to anywhere else. It's probably more pronounced in other Irish cities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ok so. Why did the rugby players get the recognition in the AIL days? :)

Maybe because Limerick clubs won every league title for 7 years in a row?
    To say the class issue doesn't exist in Limerick is utter rubbish. You only have to drive out to Killaloe on a sunny day to hear the fake twangs from the "Limerick set". Come out of the clouds yourselves...

Sign is on, the fashion to this day in Limerick is still dubarry deck shoes...

I never said there weren't pompous asses with delusions above their stations around Limerick. However despite your assertions, the rugby supporters of Limerick didn't exclusively make you 100% of that set.

No, fair enough. It's not rugby's fault it still has this upworthy mobile thing attached to it. But the "class doesn't exist in Limerick" is laughable.

How many people from the Hyde Rd, Parnell St and Edward St played with Munster and Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No, fair enough. It's not rugby's fault it still has this upworthy mobile thing attached to it. But the "class doesn't exist in Limerick" is laughable.

How many people from the Hyde Rd, Parnell St and Edward St played with Munster and Ireland?

Oh jesus, if they were good enough to play from munster and ireland, it wouldnt matter where they are from!!

Sure isnt Earls from Moyross? Where's your answer to that?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Oh jesus, if they were good enough to play from munster and ireland, it wouldnt matter where they are from!!

1 out of.....

Well, to be fair, Keith's dad (Ger) was considered one of the finest flankers in the country in the 90's but didn't get a look in when it came to national selection. The perception then was that he was from the wrong side of the tracks.

Hardly an answer to be fair. And Earls is probably one example of the most recent years but you can bet anything there are multiple rugby players from the parish etc that have played with Munster/Ireland/the lions

zulutango wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, Keith's dad (Ger) was considered one of the finest flankers in the country in the 90's but didn't get a look in when it came to national selection. The perception then was that he was from the wrong side of the tracks.

Again that was down to the branch being located in Dublin, many of ireland's best players were overlooked because they were in the wrong province.

Again that was down to the branch being located in Dublin, many of ireland's best players were overlooked because they were in the wrong province.

That's true, but you had discrimination within the province too. The Cork clubs dominated the Munster Branch in the past. There was also discrimination within Limerick also. But this kind of thing is reflected everywhere. There is a class divide in Limerick, just as there is pretty much everywhere else.

Nobody is saying there isn't a wealth/class divide, clearly there is, this just look at the countries 3 main cities and you'll see it...the origional point I made, that you rubbished, was that in the main, socially, including or excluding people from either is not really an issue in Limerick, be it music, sport, theatre or whatever...

People from every walk of life play rugby in Limerick...as they do football or whatever else you care to mention...

As for why players from certain parts of Limerick didn't get capped for Ireland, well that is a whole other can of worms!!!

Nobody is saying there isn't a wealth/class divide, clearly there is, this just look at the countries 3 main cities and you'll see it...the origional point I made, that you rubbished, was that in the main, socially, including or excluding people from either is not really an issue in Limerick, be it music, sport, theatre or whatever...

People from every walk of life play rugby in Limerick...as they do football or whatever else you care to mention...

As for why players from certain parts of Limerick didn't get capped for Ireland, well that is a whole other can of worms!!!

I would disagree with you on this.

I would disagree with you on this.

I gathered that alright!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Hows the Gaa in the disadvantaged areas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

bigpink wrote: »
    Hows the Gaa in the disadvantaged areas?

Caherconlish do alright and Newcastlewest won the Senior Football championship last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

That bid booklet is horrendous and an embarrassment.

What the fcuk were they thinking? The opening paragraph alone was enough to torpedo our chances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Treepole wrote: »
    Caherconlish do alright and Newcastlewest won the Senior Football championship last year.

In the city areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Culture my a$$.. Where was all the music? Where was all the sport? You cant just manufacture culture for the sake of winning a title (and cash). Where were all the niche music scenes we have here in Limerick? There is a whole Hip Hop culture in the likes of Moyross, Weston and other places. May not be our cup of tea but its there. There is a huge sporting culture in Limerick and as far as i can see the only team to ever get a mention is Munster.

I think we need to embrace and support the culture we already have. The art elite do not have a patent on Limerick Culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 locksloughnane

bigpink wrote: »
    In the city areas

Non existent ... ties into the whole culture thing we just missed out on. We are too busy in Limerick trying to put up shiny new bridges and buildings that have no purpose and forget about our own heritage and culture...The recent message of the 2020 was belonging ... belonging to what? We have no identity in Limerick because we have killed communities instead of enhancing them through sport and culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Stab*City wrote: »
    Culture my a$$.. Where was all the music? Where was all the sport? You cant just manufacture culture for the sake of winning a title (and cash). Where were all the niche music scenes we have here in Limerick? There is a whole Hip Hop culture in the likes of Moyross, Weston and other places. May not be our cup of tea but its there. There is a huge sporting culture in Limerick and as far as i can see the only team to ever get a mention is Munster.

I think we need to embrace and support the culture we already have. The art elite do not have a patent on Limerick Culture.
    the art elite has the final say on limerick culture, look back at the last big culture fest we had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Stab*City wrote: »

Even more so when you consider you have the Hip Hop weekend on either this coming weekend or could be next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I found it a bit strange that even though the whole thing was being held outside The Belltable's front door, the Belltable was not involved (apart from having SpinSouthwest plonked on their porch)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Hip hop was featured, there was two guys rapping on the boardwalk at some stage during the visit. I agree about sport though, and the rest. Very narrow focus imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'm sorry I really don't see what people are complaining about. Firstly I read the bid book start to finish the day it was released and didn't see any major problems with it besides how ugly that cultural centre was. Also to people talking about music Music Generation was mentioned in the bid book and were also part of the street party.

Are there wealthy areas and less well off areas in Limerick yes of course like every other city and county in Ireland and all over the world. Are there class issues in Limerick in my opinion no not from what I've seen anyone who wants to achieve and is willing to put in the effort will.

Was Limerick's 2020 committee anyway snobbish or elitist in my opinion no they regularly asked for input for people on ideas, what you think culture is, volunteers, held talks etc. I'm also sure if you had a suggestion and wanted to drop into the Georgian House or Culture House as they called it you would have been more the welcome.

People seem to be using this as an excuse to bash the council and major players in Limerick's art scene who have and will continue to do amazing work for Limerick. They should be praised and not jeered. The majority of people complaining have probably never attended a single art event in the city or seen the work it takes to pull something like this off.

Advertisement