Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick 2020 party/event Tuesday 12th July.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I'm sorry I really don't see what people are complaining about. Firstly I read the bid book start to finish the day it was released and didn't see any major problems with it besides how ugly that cultural centre was. Also to people talking about music Music Generation was mentioned in the bid book and were also part of the street party.

Are there wealthy areas and less well off areas in Limerick yes of course like every other city and county in Ireland and all over the world. Are there class issues in Limerick in my opinion no not from what I've seen anyone who wants to achieve and is willing to put in the effort will.

Was Limerick's 2020 committee anyway snobbish or elitist in my opinion no they regularly asked for input for people on ideas, what you think culture is, volunteers, held talks etc. I'm also sure if you had a suggestion and wanted to drop into the Georgian House or Culture House as they called it you would have been more the welcome.

People seem to be using this as an excuse to bash the council and major players in Limerick's art scene who have and will continue to do amazing work for Limerick. They should be praised and not jeered. The majority of people complaining have probably never attended a single art event in the city or seen the work it takes to pull something like this off.

Music Generation and one hip hop group along with a New Orleans style big band is just a crumb of what goes on in this town musically.

As for classes you must be blind. You only need to go back through the pages in this very forum to read posters comments on the lower classes to know there is a clear class divide. I must add no more or less than any other big town. But yes there are two Limericks

Limerick A) Supports Munster, went to LIT or UL, Drinks in Nancy's and the White House, Buys greens at the organic stand in the milk market and is totally looking forward to Imelda May in the castle.

Limerick B) Supports Man Utd, Went to the youth center, drinks at home or wherever they can get in, buys greens in Dealz and cant even get into Dolans not to mind afford 50 quid to go see the same old act brought to Limerick by the same old promoter.

These are very broad generalizations but you get what i mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Bored_lad wrote:
    The majority of people complaining have probably never attended a single art event in the city or seen the work it takes to pull something like this off.

Not sure how someone's attendance record at arts events prevents them from having an opinion around the bid or the people behind the bid. Was the ECOC bid just about art?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I'm sorry I really don't see what people are complaining about. Firstly I read the bid book start to finish the day it was released and didn't see any major problems with it besides how ugly that cultural centre was. Also to people talking about music Music Generation was mentioned in the bid book and were also part of the street party.

A big part of what was wrong with it is that the ECoC had a clear criteria for the chosen city to meet and our bid didn't outline how we would meet that criteria. It's the equivalent of applying for a job that has an application form asking for specific examples of how you would meet each job requirement. But deciding that instead of filling out the application form, you'd have a few big glasses of wine and write whatever good things about yourself that popped into your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

iguana wrote: »
    A big part of what was wrong with it is that the ECoC had a clear criteria for the chosen city to meet and our bid didn't outline how we would meet that criteria. It's the equivalent of applying for a job that has an application form asking for specific examples of how you would meet each job requirement. But deciding that instead of filling out the application form, you'd have a few big glasses of wine and write whatever good things about yourself that popped into your head.

The language and sentence construction in the booklet is cringeworthy. Very bad.

• Advertisement

Conn Murray should resign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Conn Murray should resign.

He should probably be shuffled off to somewhere else. Limerick certainly deserves better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Why can't we set up our own Capital of Culture in 2019 or 2021? I can't see what difference (apart from funding) that being an official Capital of Culture has for a city?

How many people plan to visit Leeuwarden or Valletta in 2018? Would many mainland Europeans be bothered coming here in 2020? Why not continue the plans that were in place for 2020 and not let all the hard work go to waste?

Limerick is a wonderful city in its own right, it doesn't need a 'partnership' with Galway. The key is getting people to see past the propaganda and false representation of the city and showing them what we have to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

kerryked wrote: »
    Why can't we set up our own Capital of Culture in 2019 or 2021? I can't see what difference (apart from funding) that being an official Capital of Culture has for a city?

How many people plan to visit Leeuwarden or Valletta in 2018? Would many mainland Europeans be bothered coming here in 2020? Why not continue the plans that were in place for 2020 and not let all the hard work go to waste?

Limerick is a wonderful city in its own right, it doesn't need a 'partnership' with Galway. The key is getting people to see past the propaganda and false representation of the city and showing them what we have to offer.

Could do that or could hold our own 2020. If people are gonna be coming to Galway from all over then why not give them a reason to make a stop off in Limerick first or after they've been to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

zulutango wrote: »
    He should probably be shuffled off to somewhere else. Limerick certainly deserves better.

Its totally embarassing what he is suggesting , he wants us to eat the crumbs off the Galway table. Limerick is a proud city and we have no need to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Could do that or could hold our own 2020. If people are gonna be coming to Galway from all over then why not give them a reason to make a stop off in Limerick first or after they've been to Galway.

I don't think people will come from all over though, that's the thing.

I wouldn't go to Galway in 2020 just because Europe says its full of culture blah blah blah, I'd go if there was some interesting event on.

We should be gearing up for our own designated year of culture where we have a series of Street Parties (maybe over the Bank Holiday Weekends) like the one last week, to celebrate the people of the city. You're never going to get lots of people to travel for culture but if we had something like the above I think it would be a winner.If we could get people in the city and county to buy into it, it would begin to create a good atmosphere. People would then begin to say 'oh it's a bank holiday weekend, will we heard down to Limerick I heard their Street Party is very good'.

While we're (rightly) bashing Conn Murray, should be not also be turning the spotlight on Sheila Deegan and Mike Fitzpatrick? Were they the right people for the job?

We must be the only decent size town in Ireland that does not have a music festival.. Those things can pull in 100,000's of people.. We are overlooking so much in favor of things that are just not working.

The quango's and council's in Limerick need a Turkish style purge.

As for 2020, funding shouldn't be an obstacle to creating a year long cultural celebration.

If it is, then it is just further evidence that when money is on offer the powers that be will magic up something to grab a slice of the pie and that otherwise they couldn't be arsed.

The 2020 bid and last minute scrambling to put on a show for the judges looked as authentic as Jordan's tits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

vkid wrote: »
    Not sure how someone's attendance record at arts events prevents them from having an opinion around the bid or the people behind the bid.

Oh but it does. The 'arts scene' is a narrow clique of middle class academics , living in their own bubble. One must 'speak their language' to be accepted.
    Now that the 2020 bid has come to an end, Mr Fitzpatrick might get himself back up to Clare street and deal with the overcrowding and chronic mismanagement of some of the courses up there.

“Limerick had been a non place in Europe, in Ireland for a long time. The power of culture made us discover our city as a place on the European map in its own right; as a city of multiplicity – full of contradictions and multiple layers.”

I am still trying to get my head around this and what kind of fcukin eejit thought this an appropriate opening to the bid book?

A non-place in Europe, in Ireland for a long time.

- The City dates from 812
    - St. Patrick is believed to have visited an earlier settlement here
    - King Johns Castle and St. Mary's Cathedral added in the 12 Century
    - Was at the centre of the Kingdom of Thomond whose notable leaders included Brian Boru
    - Besieged by Cromwell and the Williamites in the 1690's
    - The Treaty of Limerick ended the Williamite war in Ireland
    - Birthplace of DeValera, Michael D. Higgins

etc etc

A non place indeed.

Heads need to roll. This abject failure and insult of a booklet likely cost the city in the region of 170 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Teresa O Brien

What a shame Limerick did not get chosen, after all the hard work they did. Beautiful city and people. I am a Limerick women born and bred, living in Cork for the last 20 years but always Limerick in my heart. When Limerick are playing I always hang my Limerick flag with pride on the gate post to the annoyance of my Cork husband and neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

- Was at the centre of the Kingdom of Thomond whose notable leaders included Brian Boru

Brian Boru, great, great (eversomany greats) grandfather of Marie Antoinette, the Tudors, William of Orange, Charles Darwin, Tsar Nicholas II, Kaiser Wilhelm II, the current monarchs of Spain, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, etc. Even Richard Dawkins. But damned if the team behind the bid could come up with a better way to link us culturally to the rest of Europe than a bit of waffle about belonging to Europe and how so many millions of others want to belong to the culture of our great convergence of multiplicities that has transformed our non-place into a many layered multiplicity of culture by belonging to the multiplicity of multiplicitous culture.

It is actually staggering how bad that booklet is, I'd like to know who authored it, how much they were paid and who sanctioned it.

If there was a journalist worth a damn in this city they'd be all over this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I was out and about in Galway county this morning with work and couldn't help but note the involvement of county Galway in their 2020 bid. There was some lovely murals painted around Gort (see pic) and other rural towns.
    Galway%202020_zps5xilsurr.jpg

I saw one Limerick 2020 stencil in Rathkeale and little else in West Limerick. Limerick county was completely ignored in our bid, to our own detriment. Indeed, the county and its cultural contributions are so often overlooked by the city culture clique. We have world class musicians,poets and artists living in the county. Perhaps we should have had the likes of Donie Nolan at the street party instead of acrobats which have nothing to do with Limerick and its culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

panda100 wrote: »
    Perhaps we should have had the likes of Donie Nolan at the street party instead of acrobats which have nothing to do with Limerick and its culture.

Fidget feet are based in Limerick.
    In 2010, with An Grianán Theatre and the Donegal County Council, Fidget Feet founded the Irish Aerial Dance Fest – one of the largest aerial festivals in Europe. Run annually the Irish Aerial Dance Fest hosts more than 100 classes over two weeks, and is attended by participants from all over the world. Fidget Feet are artists in residence at the prestigious Irish World Academy of Music & Dance until 2017. In 2013 Fidget Feet were awarded an Arthur Guinness Project award for the Irish Aerial Creation Centre, a new home for aerial in Ireland which opened in Limerick in 2015.

http://www.fidgetfeet.com/company/

No offence but who the jaysus is Donie Nolan when he's at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

No offence but who the jaysus is Donie Nolan when he's at home?

I think he's some sort of trad musician but I'm not too sure. I don't know what the poster is talking about considering Fidget Feet are Limerick based now and also some random trad musician playing on O'Connell Ave wouldn't have gotten the same crowds at all. It seems to just be another let's have a go at the arts community in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Maybe it's time for the Local Council to take down the 'Limerick 2020' flags, Posters and Murals.

With Munster winning their first Rabo Game of the season this weekend (good start) perhaps they could stick up their Munster Promo stuff instead.....

Toffeeboy wrote: »

Surprise surprise nothing for the youth in Limerick's bid. That's because there is nothing for the youth in Limerick City.

Stab*City wrote: »
    Surprise surprise nothing for the youth in Limerick's bid. That's because there is nothing for the youth in Limerick City.

Eh what? There's plenty for young people to do in Limerick.

zulutango wrote: »
    Eh what? There's plenty for young people to do in Limerick.

Eh.. Such as?

• Advertisement

Stab*City wrote: »
    Eh.. Such as?

There's hundreds of sports clubs in the city and surrounding areas, for example.

Advertisement