Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick 2020 party/event Tuesday 12th July.

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

zulutango wrote: »
    There's hundreds of sports clubs in the city and surrounding areas, for example.

Ah sher that will do so. No wonder we lost the bid. So that's it? What if they don't like to play sports or their parents cant afford to enroll them with a sports club?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

He means what is there to do for kids, that's free and handed to them on a plate

Treepole wrote: »
    He means what is there to do for kids, that's free and handed to them on a plate

No that's what you mean. I mean if I'm a 12 yr old and i don't play sports as thousands of kids don't what is there for me to do in Limerick City?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

Stab*City wrote: »
    No that's what you mean. I mean if I'm a 12 yr old and i don't play sports as thousands of kids don't what is there for me to do in Limerick City?

Go to school.
    And when you're not in school and you don't like sports etc , go to the City Library, volunteer for a charity etc etc. Don't blame the City of Limerick if a 12 year old is bored easily / lazy

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Skate park. Library. Video games. Geocaching. Painting. Cycling. Things kids are supposed to do, traditionally.

• Advertisement

MrLaurel wrote: »
    Go to school.
    And when you're not in school and you don't like sports etc , go to the City Library, volunteer for a charity etc etc. Don't blame the City of Limerick if a 12 year old is bored easily / lazy

Lol go to the library. Even back when i was a kid and there wasn't technology to keep me busy i didnt go to the Library!

An File wrote: »
    Skate park. Library. Video games. Geocaching. Painting. Cycling. Things kids are supposed to do, traditionally.

Aside from the Library you are assuming these kids have money for Skateboards, Xbox's, Phones and Bikes.

I don't think you realize there are lots of kids out there who can barely afford a school uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Music Generation, Redemptorist Music Centre, Coder Dojo.

Music Generation, Redemptorist Music Centre, Coder Dojo.

Agreed these are things for kids to do. But obviously not enough for the people who crowned Galway for 2020.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Aside from the Library you are assuming these kids have money for Skateboards, Xbox's, Phones and Bikes.

I don't think you realize there are lots of kids out there who can barely afford a school uniform.

I'm a teacher. I get to see, and therefore realise, plenty. Never assume, buddy.

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    I'm a teacher. I get to see, and therefore realise, plenty. Never assume, buddy.

Which makes your first comment even more silly. Kids traditionally go Geocaching ya? And skateboarding? I could count on one hand how many years the kids of Limerick have access to those activities.

Look we could name loads of things that can be or cant be done. My point is the people who decided on the 2020 bid saw a short cumming on Limerick's part when it came to the youth of Limerick. And i have to agree.

Where are all our public facilities? We have a million pubs, coffee shops and a council for everything that moves. Where are the public sports grounds?

I will admit that the last two parks (castletroy/mungret) built are excellent. But cmon its 2016 we should have had them in the 90's.

We had Roxboro pool and public sports halls in Corbally and Moylish. Roxboro closed due to a fall in numbers. Can remember going there of a Sunday afternoon and having the pool to ourselves.

The Corbally sports hall was great, had tennis courts out the back. Someone drove a car into the front door though and the whole thing burnt down. I'm going to say early 90s?

Replacing it wouldn't work now as Grove Island Leisure have a fine setup on almost the same spot.

Limerick.ie has a kids event guide too.

www.limerick.ie/kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Maybe it's time for the Local Council to take down the 'Limerick 2020' flags, Posters and Murals.

With Munster winning their first Rabo Game of the season this weekend (good start) perhaps they could stick up their Munster Promo stuff instead.....

No need as a lot of them have started falling off and blowing around. It looks like as soon as the bid was over the office was disbanded and noone was assigned to clearing up. The same rules should apply here as for election posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I will admit that the last two parks (castletroy/mungret) built are excellent. But cmon its 2016 we should have had them in the 90's.

Agreed. Crazy how raheen/dooradoyle had nothing decent of that sort until recently.

Although once a child has experienced the thrill of geocaching there's very little else would pique their interest I suppose!

Agreed. Crazy how raheen/dooradoyle had nothing decent of that sort until recently.

Although once a child has experienced the thrill of geocaching there's very little else would pique their interest I suppose!

Ya they did have plans to build it a few years back but it didn't move until now.
    I'd like to say it was worth waiting for but the amount of time it took a Disneyland could have been built. But yes it is an excellent park and looking forward to see what other bits they put around the walk way. Pity they didnt put in a skatepark or basketball court/futsal court or something to keep the 12-18 year olds busy.

Don't get me wrong we did the pokemon/geocaching thing. Mainly because there was nothing else to do.

Advertisement