Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonne bags of soil - rough cost

Options
  • 10-07-2016 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

I've been quoted €50.00 per Tonne bag of top soil delivered, based on 4 bags

Is that in the ballpark?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what do they mean by a tonne bag?
    you get plenty of references to a cubic metre bag being a 'tonne bag'; but a tonne of soil takes up about 20% less than a cubic metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

vicwatson wrote: »

Is that in the ballpark?

Yes, I paid 50 plus 15 delivery for 1

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

vicwatson wrote: »

Is that in the ballpark?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

what do they mean by a tonne bag?
    you get plenty of references to a cubic metre bag being a 'tonne bag'; but a tonne of soil takes up about 20% less than a cubic metre.

A "tonne bag" is common parlance for a large bag used to deliver soil, sand and other building/landscaping materials.

The bag itself is usually made from a weaved artificial fabric. The dimensions are usually 1m x 1m x 1m, and there are loops on each upper corner for the propose of lifting.
    1m x 1m x 1m is 1 cubic metre.
    1 cubic metre of water weighs 1 tonne. Hence the bags are known as "one tonne bags".
    The empty bags themselves weight about 1kg. The weight of a full bag depends on what is in it, e.g. wet soil, dry soil, rubble, etc. Each of these will have a different weight. If it was filled with water, then it would weigh one tonne. However, as they are made from a woven fabric the water would leak out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, that's what i was getting at - to confirm with the supplier whether they meant a tonne bag was a bag with one tonne of soil in it, or a 'tonne bag' full of soil.

reason i mention it is a friend of mine jokingly asked a supplier this once (was looking to get gravel, iirc) and the supplier genuinely didn't know what he was talking about - the response was 'but it's a tonne bag, so if we fill it, it weighs a tonne?'
    he didn't go with that supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

40 for a car trailer (double axle) here if you collected your self so 50 with delivery would be about right

Advertisement