Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long term home for dog

• 10-07-2016 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi. We have a 12 year old German Shepherd. He is completely docile and a lovely dog to have around. We have a contract in the Middle East from August 2016 to early July 2017, although we will be back for two weeks at Christmas. Does anyone know of an individual or organisation that could look after a dog for that length of time ? We are, of course, happy to pay any reasonable rate. We live in Dublin area but anywhere in Ireland considered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

from August 2015 to early July 2016

? I presume those dates are a mistake.

It's relatively easy to bring a dog to Dubai (we have done) - might be an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

Springwell wrote: »
    ? I presume those dates are a mistake.

It's relatively easy to bring a dog to Dubai (we have done) - might be an option

I would agree with the OP and I think the choice of foster for their time away is better its alot of hassle to take a dog for a year plus the change in heat and temperature might not suit the dog and it is an older dog at that.
    Most rescues will put a post up for you on their pages on social media looking for long term foster till you come back but you would have to pay costs as in food and any vet bills that would occur, check out your local rescues and ask them to do this for you another option might be to rent out your home if you have one as in are an owner and the person renting could look after the dog for you its a tricky one my cousin did this as he works in Dubai but he rented the house to another cousin so trusted him he has since rehomed both dogs as is staying out in Dubai longer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tangofortwo

Yes dates were wrong lol....have now edited. Thanks for your advice so far. We have ruled out taking him to the Middle East.....the temperatures are extreme at times. Really looking for an Irish dog-lover who could add one more to his or her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

Yes dates were wrong lol....have now edited. Thanks for your advice so far. We have ruled out taking him to the Middle East.....the temperatures are extreme at times. Really looking for an Irish dog-lover who could add one more to his or her family.

Then try the rescues and ask them to post for long term foster as this is a good option, alot of people want to help in situations like this and also like the idea of having a dog but not for long term.
    I am involved in the rescue world and we have done this for dogs and cats alot of cats lately one lady had her cats in foster for a year and just recently took them back.
    We had a dog in foster for 8 months as the owner lost her home unfortunately she chose to rehome him as she is still living in a hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Have you asked around friends etc? The rescues are probably the best option. We have taken in our friend's dog for 12/18 months, they've also gone to the Middle East. Best of luck, hopefully someone helps you guys out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mozzy

I would have home boarding and kennels I could recommend, who may do a deal for you because of the length of stay? Pm if you would like recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

The home boarding I used for my dog in Co. Kildare a couple of years ago had a long-term canine resident who's owners were in the exact same situation- contract abroad for 6 months.

PM me if you want her details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

send me a PM with your details...well, the doggies details. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tangofortwo

Thanks for all your advice. We now have someone to look after him.

Advertisement