Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad versions , whats the difference ?

Options
  • 10-07-2016 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

HI,

My old Ipad (think second generation) kicked the bucket and I am looking for a replacement.

When I looked online I couldn't believe how many different ones there were.

I use the Ipad for basic stuff, including a work application that helps me view client information online. The most important thing for me is that the Ipad works fast and can access most information. Preferable Screen size 9'+

I'm not sure exactly what the difference bells and whistles are on the newer versions of Ipad. I like a decent size screen and while my old Ipad had only 16GB, I usually like to have more GB because I truly despise the cloud service available on any platform. That said, if there was a beneficial benefit of having one Ipad with a lower GB harddrive but superior spec I would consider it if the benefit was actually useful.

I'm dont want to spend more then €300 (but can stretch the budget) unless there is amazing thing I am missing out on. . Likewise I would buy a cheaper Ipad if people felt my needs are low and I wouldn't get much benefit from the newer versions. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

To be honest your gonna struggle to get an iPad for 300, your looking at about 400 unless you go second hand

I wouldn't go any older than an iPad Air 2 if I was you, its from 2014 so will be supported for a good few years yet, I have one and its excellent, definitely quicker than the older ones, theres not a whole lot of difference between that and this years iPad Pro 9.7 (ya its faster and has a better screen and speakers....but its not 200 quid or whatever it is better either) you'd probably want to use them side by side to see the difference

Heres a tip, buy it from a UK website and you'll save a nice chunk of money at the moment, you'll need a UK address to have it delivered to though

Edit: the iPad Air is a fine iPad too by the way Id just be concerned that its from 2013, you should get years out of an iPad so you might still have it when its no longer supported for updates and stuff, would be a bit of a dose

Amazon are having a sale on the 12th, might be worth a look btw (their last sale was comically **** though so don't get your hopes up!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks very much for that Table Top Joe.

I actually had a Apple IPAD AIR WI-FI 32GB 1024 MB 9.7-inch LCD - Space Grey open on an amazon site.

Do you mind me asking if there is much of a difference between new, used and refurbished in terms of longevity ? I don't mind buying second hand if its pretty much the same product (I presume its all about the reputation of the person selling that you will get a good standard version?). The difference in price is huge £350 v £212, huge difference just to get one in a new box if that's the only real difference!

Just checked Argos there out of curiosity (Im murder for a bargin)

Irish Argos- iPad Air 2 16gb - 504

UK Argos -ipad Air 2 16gb - 409 (converted from £349)

Not too shabby eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

New means it's still in plastic wrap.
    Used means it's been opened and used. How used is totally up in the air.

Refurbished means a couple of things as well, buying from Apple refurb will mean the iPad will be like new, and have the same warranty as a new iPad. Buying from any other site refurbished could mean used but cleaned up. I wouldn't buy a used iPad without seeing it in the flesh tbh.

Also I'd really push for the air 2. It was overpowered at launch as Apple knew it would be on sale until the iPad Pro came out which was nearly two years after the air 2. It's still got 3 years life in it yet (life for me means getting the latest OS updates) I believe.

Also please steer away from 16gb devices. They're such a pain to live with. I've an iPad mini 2 that's 32gb and I'm constantly swapping out media to watch for transatlantic flights.

• Advertisement

I personally wouldn't get second hand tech, never have never will, id rather pay extra for peace of mind(I work for Apple so I get a nice discount to be honest but I wouldn't buy any other tech second hand either)

I keep my iPad in great nick (I have respect for the money it costs and I know ill flog it on at some stage!) but God knows how other people treat theirs, not worth the risk imo

Refurbished iPads are actually perfectly fine, pretty much good as new, lot of them are practically new anyway, they are rechecked and tested by Apple before they're put back on sale(if someone buys a device and brings it back there you go, can be refurbished, might have been used a few hours)

Check the site for refurbished, you'll get 15% -20% off i think, a nice enough saving

Or just buy it from the UK man and take advantage!

I wasn't going to get into storage cause I know it can add a lot of bobs to the cost but since Creamy Goodness mentioned it, 16gb isn't great (easy for me to say with my discount i know), 16gb might be fine if your just using it round the house but if you want some movies and music for travelling its gonna wreck your head

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just checked Argos there out of curiosity (Im murder for a bargin)

Irish Argos- iPad Air 2 16gb - 504

UK Argos -ipad Air 2 16gb - 409 (converted from £349)

Not too shabby eh?!

Its €449

Just checked again......504 for the iPad Air 2 16gb(with 5 euro off!)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3309997/Trail/searchtext%3EIPAD+AIR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Ipad Air - €300
    Ipad Air 2 - €380

in tesco, but not all stores will have stock

not to hijack the thread, but i've been wondering about the difference between a mini 2 and mini 4 - is there any significant reason to get the 4 over the 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

ablelocks wrote: »
    Ipad Air - €300
    Ipad Air 2 - €380

not to hijack the thread, but i've been wondering about the difference between a mini 2 and mini 4 - is there any significant reason to get the 4 over the 2?

The 4 is two generations younger meaning you should get two more years of software updates down the line. Plus, faster, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Zcott wrote: »
    The 4 is two generations younger meaning you should get two more years of software updates down the line. Plus, faster, etc.

Thinner and lighter too not to mention the screens contrast ratio is much improved. The mini 2 screen took a hit in the contrast ratio to achieve the retina seal of approval.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just checked again......504 for the iPad Air 2 16gb(with 5 euro off!)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3309997/Trail/searchtext%3EIPAD+AIR.htm

Its €449 on the Apple site....

whiterebel wrote: »
    Its €449 on the Apple site....

As I stated in my original post and the one you quoted, I was referring to the Argos price, ( I even included a link to the Argos page) if it's cheaper elsewhere that's great, I'll help the OP as best I can but I'm not gonna check every store in Ireland and the U.K. for iPad prices :)

Ipad Air - €300
    Ipad Air 2 - €380

Those Tesco prices aren't bad at all.....I'd lean toward the 4 as well, faster, lighter, better screen and will be supported longer too

Have you tried a mini out? I find them too small tbh but personally choice obviously

Oh yeah the 4 has Touch ID too, a "how did I live without it?" feature for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Those Tesco prices aren't bad at all.....I'd lean toward the 4 as well, faster, lighter, better screen and will be supported longer too

Have you tried a mini out? I find them too small tbh but personally choice obviously

I have an ipad 3, well i had - the kids have effectively taken it over.

it's the sunday times free ipad mini 2 offer that's tempting me. I had decided to hold out and see if they replace the 2 with the 4 when apple discontinue the 2....I think I'll hold tough for a while and see what happens.

As I stated in my original post and the one you quoted, I was referring to the Argos price, ( I even included a link to the Argos page) if it's cheaper elsewhere that's great, I'll help the OP as best I can but I'm not gonna check every store in Ireland and the U.K. for iPad prices :)

The Apple site would really be the default site to check on current prices plus you said you work for Apple so I'm surprised you would be steering the OP to Argos at a higher cost.

adox wrote: »
    The Apple site would really be the default site to check on current prices plus you said you work for Apple so I'm surprised you would be steering the OP to Argos at a higher cost.

Why not mention you were quoting the Apple Store price instead of highlighting Argos in my post and giving a different price? how is anyone besides you supposed to know what your referring to?.....Ive seen varying prices between the Apple site and Argos, Amazon etc and to be honest I use an internal site to check Apple prices which includes discount so I couldn't tell you what the regular price is most of the time, as I pointed out I was checking out of curiosity, its not like I was suggesting he only buy from Argos or wherever, I'm sure the OP is going to shop around if he's going to be spending 300-400 quid and not just buy off the first site suggested on a forum

I have an ipad 3, well i had - the kids have effectively taken it over.

it's the sunday times free ipad mini 2 offer that's tempting me. I had decided to hold out and see if they replace the 2 with the 4 when apple discontinue the 2....I think I'll hold tough for a while and see what happens.

Not familiar with that offer but if its free with a subscription or whatever, I think id go with that one too!

Just looked up the Sunday Times offer, thats not bad, Ive gotten more and more into reading newspapers, magazines and books digitally which is what has convinced me I need to get a 12.9 iPad Pro next ("Happy Christmas Table Top Joe! Love Table Top Joe" job)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 J. Mourinho

iPad Air 2 16 GB refurbished on Apple.ie is €380

You won't be able to tell the difference between it and brand new bar the label on the box.

Same warranty as a new one and you have the piece of mind of dealing with Apple directly for any warranty issues.

Picking up one myself on next couple weeks have always had iPad refurbished as given its the same warranty as a new one your wasting a €100 tbh going new.

Why not mention you were quoting the Apple Store price instead of highlighting Argos in my post and giving a different price? how is anyone besides you supposed to know what your referring to?.....Ive seen varying prices between the Apple site and Argos, Amazon etc and to be honest I use an internal site to check Apple prices which includes discount so I couldn't tell you what the regular price is most of the time, as I pointed out I was checking out of curiosity, its not like I was suggesting he only buy from Argos or wherever, I'm sure the OP is going to shop around if he's going to be spending 300-400 quid and not just buy off the first site suggested on a forum

I didn't read your post properly ans presumed you were quoting the Apple site or at least the going rate for the iPad Air 2. Apple have a fairly limited range of products so it's not that complicated to keep track of the price of their products. The prices don't usually fluctuate much between retailers. Argos haven't obviously passed on the latest discount that Apple announced at their last event.

So I apologise for not reading your post properly and noticing you were referencing Argos as your source. But I do find it astounding that you claim to work for Apple and then direct the OP to Argos to compare prices of the products in the two territories, which gave an incorrect pricing difference and an incorrect pricing for the iPad Air 2 on the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Fusion5%C2%AE-Ultra-Slim-Tablet/dp/B00YCX7SGU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1468578204&sr=1-1&keywords=window+tablet

I was just wondering about above link. For the record I don't even know if that's an "android" device or a specific windows tablet! (that shows how familiar I am with these things!)

I am used to and enjoy Apple devices (ipad, iPhone) and used to their OS. That said, I am also used to using Windows 10 on my laptop. I tried a Samsung galaxy phone (about 4-5 years ago) and hated the android device and wasn't interested in playing around with it.

I use a tablet for general stuff like playing games, work (word/excel/other work app) and the odd bit of tv/programme. Since the application would be windows 10, I am wondering if I would be more comfortable with this device then I was when I tried a Samsung android that I just hated!

I don't mind spending the extra cash on a good up to date tablet, but when I consider what I really use a tablet for I cant think why I would want to spend €500 on a good up to date tablet v €200 or less on one that pretty much does most of what I want.

I am just trying to work out if its simply "I like apples system and am familiar with it, so I will pay a couple of hundred euros more" or "I will spend less money and be disappointed when I figure out its a much poorer product?!". Because of the broad choice and my lack of tech knowledge I am not confident what to do but I cannot help but feel I would be paying way over the odds for a new apple device purely because I am not confident choosing an alternative brand that does what I want.

Advertisement