Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riding on tube like Froome

Options
  • 10-07-2016 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

How long before we see someone crashing horribly in Dublin as they try this?

I assume some sort of tube saddle would at least make this a bit more comfortable? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Well, I am quite fond of my testicles, so I won't be trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mrcheez wrote: »
    How long before we see someone crashing horribly in Dublin as they try this?

I assume some sort of tube saddle would at least make this a bit more comfortable? ;)

Are you referring to his desent yesterday? Plenty of hills outside of Dublin by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I already get bike wobble coming down Howth summit at 65+ so I'll pass, but curious to know how much faster that position would get me (assuming I lived to tell the tale)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I already get bike wobble coming down Howth summit at 65+ so I'll pass, but curious to know how much faster that position would get me (assuming I lived to tell the tale)
    65+?

TBH, I wouldn't be doing anything risky on the bike at that age. Those old bones...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Are you referring to his desent yesterday? Plenty of hills outside of Dublin by the way.

Aye but a lot more nutters in Dublin who'd try it by virtue of population density

• Advertisement

Had a wobble before at 70 odd. Had breifly though about tucking my self infront of the saddle, but having never attempted it before, then was not the time to do it.

I'm happy enoughstaying on the saddle with knees clamped to the top tube.

Aye but a lot more nutters in Dublin who'd try it by virtue of population density

Obviously never met any of cyclists in the NW then,

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Coming to a sportive near you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Can someone explain this? What does 'riding on tube' mean as Googling and I just get surfing references!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Can someone explain this? What does 'riding on tube' mean as Googling and I just get surfing references!

Cm8j-7YWIAABHUz.jpg

Minimizing your frontal area to give you a significant aerodynamic benefit, at the cost of losing a lot of comfort and control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Cm8j-7YWIAABHUz.jpg

Minimizing your frontal area to give you a significant aerodynamic benefit, at the cost of losing a lot of comfort and control.

To my mind that image actually shows that Froome is even a particularly bad example of how best to do this, discounting that it's madness in any situation, of course! The main danger with top tube descending, to my view, is the loss of stability and potentially control stemming from putting your weight so far forward, and when you compare the two above, Froome is even way more forward than he needs to be (could have his arse under the saddle nose), and that will only exacerbate the problems associated with this. And of course what would make it even worse in Ireland is the standard of road surfacing here, typically nowhere near as smooth as the roads where the pros are willing to risk this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I was just thinking this morning, is this not the type of thing UCI would ban or have already banned especially the level that froome took it to yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoughSleeper

cython wrote: »
    To my mind that image actually shows that Froome is even a particularly bad example of how best to do this, discounting that it's madness in any situation, of course! The main danger with top tube descending, to my view, is the loss of stability and potentially control stemming from putting your weight so far forward, and when you compare the two above, Froome is even way more forward than he needs to be (could have his arse under the saddle nose), and that will only exacerbate the problems associated with this. And of course what would make it even worse in Ireland is the standard of road surfacing here, typically nowhere near as smooth as the roads where the pros are willing to risk this.

Froome was doing a lot of pedalling in that position, which is why he's further forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Well, I am quite fond of my testicles, so I won't be trying it.
    Same here. I'm quite fond of your testicles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I think Galibier.cc said it best on FBI Book.

Original Galibier.cc FBI Post

oqO6Mtc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

bazermc wrote: »
    I was just thinking this morning, is this not the type of thing UCI would ban or have already banned especially the level that froome took it to yesterday.
    Graeme Obree springs to mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ballsy move by Froome and tbh first time his riding has impressed me.
    That said he looked quite wobbly and not sure was worth the risk for the time gained.
    Pros doing it on closed roads with decent surfaces is one thing.
    Fred's like us doing it in Sportifs need a good slap .....

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I am sure froome would fall if he'd tried to slap someone while descending like that. He's better at slow speed slaps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ballsy move by Froome and tbh first time his riding has impressed me.
    That said he looked quite wobbly and not sure was worth the risk for the time gained.
    Pros doing it on closed roads with decent surfaces is one thing.
    Fred's like us doing it in Sportifs need a good slap .....

Of course it was worth the risk. He didn't crash and gained some good time!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Caught my 14yo trying that on a club ride last year. Wasnt amused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Wasn't there a thread here about people doing it on club spins? Anyone doing that who isn't at a pro level is just asking for trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

JBokeh wrote: »
    Wasn't there a thread here about people doing it on club spins? Anyone doing that who isn't at a pro level is just asking for trouble

Errrr...tried the aero-tuck-pedalling thing on the club spin today. Jaysis I dunno how he did it at that speed, and around those bends. I have a new found respect for the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Seen a guy doing it on a club spin and told him to knock it off, people do enough stupid things without doing this too

Let's not do the hysteria thing either. It wasn't a Sagan no hands wheelie. I did actually try that top tube descent thing once or twice on my own for the laugh and it's certainly odd, and it puts a lot of strain on your hands and arms and feet. But it's not particularly unstable. The most unnerving thing about it is now much faster you go due to the aero tuck. And coming in and out of it is a bit scary when you try it first

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

outfox wrote: »
    Errrr...tried the aero-tuck-pedalling thing on the club spin today
    Borderfox wrote: »
    Seen a guy doing it on a club spin and told him to knock it off, people do enough stupid things without doing this too

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Seen a guy doing something similar on the tour of Sligo last year, to be honest though it was no match for higher gearing and a few pedal strokes, not that I was flaking it much as I went by him either... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

fat bloke wrote: »
    Let's not do the hysteria thing either. It wasn't a Sagan no hands wheelie. I did actually try that top tube descent thing once or twice on my own for the laugh and it's certainly odd, and it puts a lot of strain on your hands and arms and feet. But it's not particularly unstable. The most unnerving thing about it is now much faster you go due to the aero tuck. And coming in and out of it is a bit scary when you try it first

I used to do it a lot on descents on my old Kelly bike, including in sportives, and you could gain a lot of speed. Never felt unstable, in fact the opposite, and I got used to moving in and out of the position. I am quite small and the frame I had then was an XS. I always felt it had something to do with getting my center of gravity lower, hence actually more stable. When I changed bike to a Dolan, it never felt the same so I don't do it anymore. Dolan steering seems to be a lot twitchier.

That said I don't recollect ever pedaling in that position. My respect for Froome, I think the risks he took taking some of the corners were way higher than sitting on the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

BailMeOut wrote: »

A friend of mine does a lot of surfing. It refers to riding inside one of those enormous waves, like your in a tube of water as they are about to break. Adrenaline junky stuff.

boege wrote: »
    My respect for Froome, I think the risks he took taking some of the corners were way higher than sitting on the bar.

Yeah, he was right on the edge. Showed a great big pair of balls that people didn't know he had! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was it the 2014 Tour Tony Martin was doing it down some pretty sketchy hairpins on forested roads on his way to a stage win?

I recall watching it being talked about here and people worrying about eejits trying it on sportives.

Advertisement