Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riding on tube like Froome

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The big thing is that your overall centre of gravity is being lowered in this position too so the bike should be more stable at higher speeds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

sconhome wrote: »
    The big thing is that your overall centre of gravity is being lowered in this position too so the bike should be more stable at higher speeds.

Presumably the main issues are turning and regaining control if you hit a bump and lose your grip on the bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

CramCycle wrote: »
    Presumably the main issues are turning and regaining control if you hit a bump and lose your grip on the bars.

Same position as a motorbike racer. Get low, and throw the knee into the corners.

Messy when it all goes wrong. Would not like to be highsided off a bicycle with no leathers. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Weepsie wrote: »
    This is Matej Mohoric doing it 3 years ago at the U23 world championships

snip video

It clearly didn't work for him. He was stuck riding the same little bit of road over and over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I know he is a pro cyclist & they clock up some scary assed speeds when descending, but if he loses it in that position he is going to really destroy himself, some serious injury awaits any numpty that tries this & fails!

• Advertisement

Tried it this morning on the way into work (private closed road on the way to work). Easy enough position to get into and not too hard to get out of (presumably until your arms get tired). Steering felt weird, also felt like I could swing my back wheel out if I wanted. Certainly not as difficult as I predicted but felt like it was something for alot of practice.

The position for me was not annoying or difficult on roads I know. I would want to practice the in and out to ensure no snagging.

Pedaling on the other hand was more difficult, knees felt odd and that they would tire easily. I can't imagine I could have pedaled faster in that position than if I was up on the saddle. maybe OK on a decent descent but on a slight one i would imagine I would tire quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Tried it this morning on the way into work (private closed road on the way to work). Easy enough position to get into and not too hard to get out of (presumably until your arms get tired). Steering felt weird, also felt like I could swing my back wheel out if I wanted. Certainly not as difficult as I predicted but felt like it was something for alot of practice.

The position for me was not annoying or difficult on roads I know. I would want to practice the in and out to ensure no snagging.

Pedaling on the other hand was more difficult, knees felt odd and that they would tire easily. I can't imagine I could have pedaled faster in that position than if I was up on the saddle. maybe OK on a decent descent but on a slight one i would imagine I would tire quickly.

Notice any particular gain in speed? :)

mrcheez wrote: »
    Notice any particular gain in speed? :)

It felt like there was less slowing me down but not that I was going noticeably faster :(

I wonder what a speed wobble would look like in this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

plus you probably looked like a complete & utter tool, hence doing it on a closed road(smart move)

• Advertisement

Bloggsie wrote: »
    plus you probably looked like a complete & utter tool, hence doing it on a closed road(smart move)

I had a good look around to make sure there was no one around first, beyond looking like a tool, the humiliation of crashing at slow speed in a position I could not get out of quickly, would push any passers by into such hysterics, the ambulance would probably take them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mattdi22le

Bloggsie wrote: »

I've descended like this loads of times from sally gap, even down chapel hill into Lucan village, I noticed a huge difference in speed/strava times. I don't really care what I look like I like going fast and am confident in my bike handling ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Whole point is that in a low aero tuck without pedalling on a good down hill you are already going faster than somebody who is alongside you, sitting up and pedalling loads. So any little bit of pedalling at all that you can do that engages the drive train is going to top up your speed that little bit more. Froome wasn't pedalling hard either in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Tried it a couple of times. Last time I did it my shorts caught on the nose of my saddle when I tried to sit back up. Right at the T junction at the bottom of the hill. Fairly terrifying moment that put me off doing it ever since.

Advertisement