Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord seeking proof of employment, legal?

Options
  • 10-07-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭

Is it legal for a landlord to discriminate on employment/welfare grounds?

When we were searching for a rental this was a common question. .didn't bother us..but it seems like another way to ask if someone is receiving rent allowance (Which is now illegal afaik).
    I assume that judging someone based on employment or lack of ..is discrimination?

Another question. .can a landlord legally force you into prepay electricity? (Which is more expensive than bill pay, and means you can't switch providers).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Surely they need to be able to see you can afford to pay the rent no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Surely they need to be able to see you can afford to pay the rent no?

Why would they need to know how you pay the rent?
    This was properties for 450€ pm, btw so not expensive properties.

If we were on sw we would be entitle to rent allowance and therefore able to pay the rent.
    If we're working, we may or may not be entitle to rent allowance. .but either or ..we would still be able to afford the rent.

I've rented a few properties up until 4 years ago. Now back on the rental market.
    This is the first time I've seen proof of employment being asked. .but not on their ad..which makes me think it's discriminating and not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sammy2016

id say all letting agents or private landlords ask this question in my 9 years in renting ive always been asked to provide a letter from my employer stating im in employment,its more of a reference issue id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's not legal for an ad to discriminate against those on Welfare but a landlord can (and most do) seek proof of employment and/or a work reference, and some even seek bank statements.

Regarding power, if you are aware that there is a pre-pay meter installed you can ask the landlord to change it but they are under no obligation to do so.

And finally, if you don't like how the landlord is carrying on in relation to either question, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

If you tell the potential landlord that you are working then of course he/she can ask for a reference from your employer.

If you told them you were recieving rent allowance they could seek proof of same. Doesnt mean they are discriminating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

We didn't have to say anything. The first thing they ask for is proof of employment.

And to the poster above. No i don't mind my current landlord. I've rented with them before. I'm just curious about rights.

It seems landlords have the right to ask any information they want but you don't have to give it to them. Lot of help in preventing discrimination that is.

Perhaps you lot could explain, why landlords are obsessed with prepay electricity when no bills etc are transferred to them if a tenet didn't pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It seems landlords have the right to ask any information they want but you don't have to give it to them. Lot of help in preventing discrimination that is.

Perhaps you lot could explain, why landlords are obsessed with prepay electricity when no bills etc are transferred to them if a tenet didn't pay?

The landlord has to decide who best will look after the property and pay their rent, they can ask for whatever evidence helps them to make that decision. If you want the property, you provide the information.

We can't know what makes a particular landlord choose prepay power, probably a variety of reasons, but it's their property, their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sammy2016

We didn't have to say anything. The first thing they ask for is proof of employment.

And to the poster above. No i don't mind my current landlord. I've rented with them before. I'm just curious about rights.

I think this issue is cuz if the tenant in the house does that play the bill and they move on somewhere else the new tenant can find it hard to open a new account it took us 6weeks after moving into a property 3years ago to set up an account cus the old tenant had left a massive bill of over 1700e on the property im not sure what the landlord did weather he had to pay it or not but that could be a massive reason

Advertisement