Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Inaugural Game Club #1 Vote

Options
  • 10-07-2016 12:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Three games have been picked at random and a vote will determine what will be played. The voting will end on the 15th of the month.

The list of games can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BXV4JxQ05pTB0mlvwpJJElcUThIYV7ZbVv9-4TrUxoY/edit

You can suggest games to be added to the list here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eajLXCLKLN45Cg44WQeJ5us50MqMRBip_prw5GyTCEE/edit#gid=514501563

The first game out of the random number generator is:

Crypt of the Necrodancer

header.jpg?t=1463202427

Developer: Brace Yourself Games

What is it?: A mixture of a roguelike with a rhythm game.Nope, no idea myself but it sounds like a lot of fun!

Available on: Steam, iOS, PS4, PS Vita

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_avgU1u6yM

The second game is:

Deathsmiles

header.jpg?t=1460644591

Developer: Cave

What is it?: A bullet hell shooter from the undisputed kings of the genre Cave. Regarded as one of the best shooters ever made. Would make an excellent score attack challenge.

Available on: Steam, Xbox 360

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNQlEySCSg

And the final game is:

Wonder Project J

title.gif

Developer: Almanic

What is it?: A point and click simulation game where you bring up a robotic boy. Teach him bad stuff, he becomes evil, set a good example and he grows up to be good. Think of it like a more fun Black and White. The game has been fan translated and is highly regarded by anyone that has played it.

Available on: Super Nintendo (fan translated)

Reviews: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wonderproject/wpj1.htm

Remember this is meant to be an education so pick something you'd be interested in but wouldn't normally play... which is probably all of them in this case!

Which game? 21 votes

Crypt of the Necrodancer
    0% 0 votes
    Deathsmiles
    47% 10 votes
    Wonder Project J
    52% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Wonder Project 3 sounds the most interesting of the lot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Wonder Project J does look interesting alright.

Gets my vote :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Had been meaning to check out Necrodancer for a long time now, watched some streamers I like play it with the dev and a DDR pad a while back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Necrodancer was an excellent idea that failed miserably in its execution. Let me explain.

I love rhythm games. Most people do. But what makes them satisfying is going to the beat. Now imagine playing guitar hero or osu or whatever rhythm game with about 1 second worth of lag. It would ruin the experience wouldn't it? You are tapping but its not to the beat. It wouldn't feel satisfying.

That's necrodancer. You move and hop to the beat but there is a huge amount of leeway so it doesn't reward accuracy. But that's a forgivable sin. The attacking isn't. Your attacks don't conform to the beat...AT ALL.....which throws you off. They aren't even offbeats....just random. Ruins the experience.

Even so, it's the most well known game so its going to win the vote. Hopefully most people enjoy it but as a person who was really looking forward to the game, I was bitterly disappointed.

Don't mean to be a Debbie downer....I just want to warn people going in. It has a cool soundtrack though for sure. :P

I voted for Deathsmiles as I haven't played it and it looks fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Ah Necrodancer is fun as hell though

Voted for Deathsmiles as bullet hell isn't anything I've played before afaik

Are the games that don't make it re entered into the draw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Whats the idea? You play the game and chat about it is it?

I've actually been looking to play Crypt of the Necrodancer.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Whats the idea? You play the game and chat about it is it?

Pretty much

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057619414

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Okay thanks!

I voted wonder project, it sounds the most interesting

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Okay thanks!

I voted wonder project, it sounds the most interesting

Me too. I'm not mad about rogue-likes or shmups.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The only thing on that list that even slightly interests me is the Bullet Hell one, so I voted for that. Not at all arsed with emulators and all that nonsense, aside from the fact that I don't think we should be promoting piracy as per Boards.ie rules and Irish law...?

Shiminay wrote: »
    The only thing on that list that even slightly interests me is the Bullet Hell one, so I voted for that. Not at all arsed with emulators and all that nonsense, aside from the fact that I don't think we should be promoting piracy as per Boards.ie rules and Irish law...?

I found that a bit strange too. Perhaps we shouldn't mention it again and its up to the individual to buy the game themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Dafuq is up with the Death Smiles artwork? O_o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cormac... wrote: »
    Dafuq is up with the Death Smiles artwork? O_o

Japan...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I had a go of Wonder Project J and I named my robot Penis
    "wake up Penis!" :D

The mob has spoken. What now Retro?

PM me if people have trouble with acquiring the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm closing this thread and opening a new one. Against all odds wonder project j is this months game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement