Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite Dangerous Arena

Options
  • 10-07-2016 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Been debating getting the main game for a while now, so tried out Arena since it's free on Steam for the weekend.
    Not sure if I'm missing something but it's the most godawful mess of a game I've played in years.

Even the process of actually getting to play it nearly led to me ragequitting:
    - Buy game on Steam
    - Install game
    - Launch game
    - Get redirected to Frontier site to register an account
    - Try to register and find I already did at some point a couple of years ago
    - Click the 'Forgot password' li-- oh, there's none
    - Eventually guess password
    - Launch game again, enter Frontier account details, and am asked to enter a code that's just been emailed to me
    - Code doesn't work, end up back at Frontier login screen
    - Try again in case I typed it wrong
    - Try again, cutting and pasting it
    - Realise it's actually emailing me a new code every time
    - Try again making sure I'm using latest code
    - Try again cutting and pasting latest code
    - Eventually somehow discover that the problem is nothing to do with the codes, the game isn't registered to my Frontier account. Despite the fact that I registered it there already using the Steam key I'd been given
    - Go back to the Frontier site and 'buy' the game again there
    - Game eventually works
    - Try the first basic tutorial, which seems to be missing actual basic stuff like how to move
    - Realise there's a link in the tutorial description advising me to watch a tutorial video
    - Click link and get pulled back out of the game to a 5-minute video on YouTube explaining how to control my ship with a control stick which I don't have
    - Quit relieved that I didn't splash out 50 quid on this piece of junk
    - Decide to go back and give it one last go, and game hangs on main menu

OK, the not having a control stick bit is down to me, but there's nothing indicating it's a requirement, and the rest of it is ridiculous. I can't remember the last time I had to leave a game to get basic tutorial information, and the
    whole way the linking to a Frontier account is implemented is farcical.

Is this just the Arena part, or is the main game as badly done?

Advertisement