Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a room in a shared accomodation

Options
  • 10-07-2016 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a room to rent in a shared accommodation for over a month now without a success.
    Not only they are overpriced but I found that most ads on the likes of daft contain false/inaccurate information, tenants/landlords don't reply to text messages/emails even though they specify that they want to be contacted only by email/text and finally some tenants come up with some stupid rules and they insist that they need to be agreed upon prior to moving.

I got to the stage at which i am beginning to feel depressed and I am worried about my health, having a roof on top of my head and living in a decent accommodation is one of the most basic needs, I can't rent my own place as this will cost 1k plus, I can't afford it and on top of that most studios/1 bed flats look like a kip.

I work full time and I am a normal, decent person, finding myself in this situation is beginning to take its toll on my life, mind, mood and health.

Is there any agency out there that offer shared rooms and rent them in county Dublin? My situation is extremely bad that I might find myself on the street soon, I have the money to pay, that's not a problem, the issue is a lack of supply. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

As you already said, supply is the issue. Some landlords here have said their ads get dozens of responses and they only respond to the odd few they consider they would rent to. The place could already have had several responses that the landlord has lined up and isn't considering anyone else. For this reason it's important to have all the relevant information in your first email and quick too! Make sure you have an alert on the type of accommodation and location on daft set up so you can respond quickly.

For the tenants, they have to live with whoever they're speaking with. Indeed some have had bad experiences and want the ground rules set down before someone else moves in. If their rules are restrictive, would you want to live with them anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

For the tenants, they have to live with whoever they're speaking with. Indeed some have had bad experiences and want the ground rules set down before someone else moves in. If their rules are restrictive, would you want to live with them anyway?

No, I wouldn't like to live with them, I can't allow anybody to restrict my freedom, especially when it comes to the most basic stuff.

The issue is that there are no solutions/alternatives out there, the situation is so bad that I am close to a the breakdown point. I am beginning to think that changing country is the only solution but I don't want to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

alwald wrote: »
    No, I wouldn't like to live with them, I can't allow anybody to restrict my freedom, especially when it comes to the most basic stuff.

The issue is that there are no solutions/alternatives out there, the situation is so bad that I am close to a the breakdown point. I am beginning to think that changing country is the only solution but I don't want to do that.

When I moved back to Ireland it took me six weeks to find a room, and the situation was nowhere near as bad then as it is now supply v demand wise. I rent out a spare room and the last time it was vacant (last autumn) I had over 100 responses to the ad. OP it's just a case of keep going, you will find a place. You have a few weeks now before the college panic starts and tens of thousands of new students are added to the househunting masses. Have you got a housemates wanted/sharing wanted ad on daft?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

athtrasna wrote:
    When I moved back to Ireland it took me six weeks to find a room, and the situation was nowhere near as bad then as it is now supply v demand wise. I rent out a spare room and the last time it was vacant (last autumn) I had over 100 responses to the ad. OP it's just a case of keep going, you will find a place. You have a few weeks now before the college panic starts and tens of thousands of new students are added to the househunting masses. Have you got a housemates wanted/sharing wanted ad on daft?

I didn't know about those ads on daft, I will definitely give it a try.

Finding an agency that will do the searching for me seems to be the easiest option, are you aware about any agency that I can use?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

alwald wrote: »
    I didn't know about those ads on daft, I will definitely give it a try.

Finding an agency that will do the searching for me seems to be the easiest option, are you aware about any agency that I can use?

there are agencies that will secure a full property for a fee. They operate mainly at the top end of the market. I have never heard of an agency sourcing shared accommodation and i would be very surprised if such an agency existed.

Advertisement