Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handing in notice but due to go on holidays

Options
  • 10-07-2016 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello,

I have went for a new job and they are looking for a start date at the end of August/ early Sep.

I am required to give 4 weeks notice in my current role, I don't want to give them any longer in case they make my life hell. 2 out of the 4 weeks, I am booked to go on holidays abroad so all is paid for and can't not go, can they stop me from going? Or can I hand in notice when on holidays?

All info appreciated.

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If it's agreed leave then they can't stop you.

Good luck with the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Sono

Hand in your notice as normal, your holidays will not change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Sono wrote: »
    Hand in your notice as normal, your holidays will not change anything.

This may not be true. For instance the ops holiday period may have started on the 1st of April and at this point of the year he may not actually have worked up sufficient holiday entitlements to cover his holidays. This net impact may be that his final payment may be less than what they are expecting.

In terms of notice you should still give it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

All depends what it says in your contract.

Even if they agreed with your leave, they can invoke "the needs of the business" and say you need to take your holidays later.

Just for future reference: Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997 - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/20/enacted/en/html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

All depends what it says in your contract.

Even if they agreed with your leave, they can invoke "the needs of the business" and say you need to take your holidays later.

Just for future reference: Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997 - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/20/enacted/en/html

Yes, I can see them invoking "the needs of the business" if they need you to train in a replacement or close on ongoing projects prior to your departure.

They approved the holiday, based on you continued employment and that you could catch up on any backlog when you returned. This is no longer the case and they could argue that you knew that you would be leaving as you were interviewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

How do you think they'd make you life hell if they knew a bit earlier that you were leaving? Even if they do you shouldn't care anyway - just turn up for your contracted hours, work reasonably hard but don't bust yourself and ignore any crap.

I have moved jobs a few times over the years and each time I was worried about handing in my notice but each time it was fine and I found working out my notice to be no problem. Most employers have dealt with this a hundred times and are fine about people leaving as long as they don't think you are taking the piss with the way you do it.

Anyway I wouldn't have worked as hard as I did to tidy things up etc if I had felt that the employer was being a dick about things.

I'd hand in my notice as soon as possible in your situation so you will actually be working for a month after you tell them. That way you are doing your bit by being fair to them. It'd be less likely then that they will try to say you have to cancel the leave you have booked.

Advertisement