Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CROP ATTACK STARTED

• 10-07-2016 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Shooting crow & pigeons here in Dublin over barley that there are attacking - serious damage done.

Any crop attacks started elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Where in Dublin?

It seems we have got the pigeons under control on the Dublin plot we shoot on and are looking for another area to shoot with permission. It's just myself and a friend, but the numbers have seriously dwindled in the past few days with only a few birds around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

If ya need a hand let me know lad. I'm insured and have shotgun. I've feck all pigeon and I need loads for eating. Myself and the lads off rugby team looking for them for the protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Thedeerstalker

If ya need a hand let me know lad. I'm insured and have shotgun. I've feck all pigeon and I need loads for eating. Myself and the lads off rugby team looking for them for the protein.

More protein in rabbits man

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Getting huge numbers on one of my permissions. Got bad enough the land owner rang me the other day asking iff i could hit them a little harder. So i grabbed two mates and we hit it a couple of times. Need to get back up to it, if only the fecking rain would go away.

The rest are average enough.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

More protein in rabbits man

It's quicker t cook pigeon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

Have any of you guys asked your local FO if they shoot?, and if so would they or other members in the station like to come out and spend a few hours with you in a hide? . A few of us in my club do. It's a great way to get to know them and for them to know you when you have to go in and do business in your local station.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Used to shoot, infrequently, with my old FO from 5 + years ago. Top bloke, knew his firearms, and a pleasure to deal with. New FO is not a shooter. Still great to deal with, but not a shooter.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Was up around Rathcoole last week and serious numbers of woodies starting to hit the crops there. Have a m8 with permissions nearby so might try and see if they need some help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Just wondering lads, and I know the law but do many of ye shoot over stubble?? Also is it legal to shoot vermin over stubble?? Grey crows , crows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Stonehall9 wrote:
    Just wondering lads, and I know the law but do many of ye shoot over stubble?? Also is it legal to shoot vermin over stubble?? Grey crows , crows?

As far as I know, pigeons and corvids can be shot as vectors of disease so they don't have to be actively damaging crops or otherwise causing trouble for you to shoot them.

• Advertisement

BrownTrout wrote: »
    As far as I know, pigeons and corvids can be shot as vectors of disease so they don't have to be actively damaging crops or otherwise causing trouble for you to shoot them.

Never heard of that reason before, was just talkin to two lads tonight who told me of a lad on a neighbouring gun club shooting pigeons over stubble and the Gardai landed into the field and created a sh1t storm and took his gun claiming he was breaking the law shooting over stubble on birds out of season, we shoot a lot of standing but a lot more stubble once bales are made, just a bit anxious to know where we stand. Local super is a bitch, and she is anti shooting aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

From the NARGC http://nargc.ie/predator-control-and-the-law/

Pigeon Shooting
    The woodpigeon has a hunting season commencing November 1st and ending on January 31st. Outside of the hunting season, woodpigeon can be controlled under derogation as they can cause serious damage to arable crops, including cereals, legumes and brassicas. They can be controlled on any property (including stubble fields) throughout the state (under derogation) in order to prevent damage being caused.
    The control is to be carried out by the owner or occupier of a property or the servant or agent (e.g. Gun Club member) of the owner or occupier of any such property. Please note that you should not assume that you are acting as an agent just because you shoot the land during the hunting season as a Club member.
    Central to the legislation is that the owner/occupier has himself identified the need for control and requests someone to carry out the control as his/her agent. Remember, it is the owner/occupier who is the beneficiary of the derogation and not necessarily the hunter. While there is no statutory requirement for seeking permission, the owner/occupier should notify his local NPWS Conservation Ranger that he/she will be controlling woodpigeons under derogation to protect his/her crops.
    Note that a Conservation Ranger is authorised for the purpose of the Regulations (S.I. No. 254 of 1986) to enter on any lands on which he/she reasonably believes that the control of wild birds is taken place and he/she may request the owner for information about the number of wild birds killed or captured on such lands and the means by which such wild birds have been killed or captured.
    Although not listed in Schedule four of the derogation, the Wildlife Acts permit the use of decoys, including mechanical/electrical appliances such as pigeon magnets, which do not emit sound.

Thanks for that cookimonster , looks like we are doing nothing wrong so.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    Never heard of that reason before, was just talkin to two lads tonight who told me of a lad on a neighbouring gun club shooting pigeons over stubble and the Gardai landed into the field and created a sh1t storm and took his gun claiming he was breaking the law shooting over stubble on birds out of season, we shoot a lot of standing but a lot more stubble once bales are made, just a bit anxious to know where we stand. Local super is a bitch, and she is anti shooting aswell

Doesn't matter what your taking about gun related there's always a story of a lad from a different area who was arrested by the Gardai. I've literally heard dozens down through the years. The more you delve into them and question the less sense they make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

I was told that you cannot shoot in a stubble field as the crop is cut and therefore no longer a crop there that needs protection unless there is a standing crop that does nearby. Once again there is no specification of how close nearby is.

I was told that you cannot shoot in a stubble field as the crop is cut and therefore no longer a crop there that needs protection unless there is a standing crop that does nearby. Once again there is no specification of how close nearby is.

Cookimonster post above clears it up I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Rimfire is right we used to have alot of tillage and I cannot see derogation applying unless corn nearby; fine shoot in stubble field if corn etc in next field. If all corn cut cannot see derogation applying.

Advertisement