Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Lives Matter protest in Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sorry, I didn't realise I had to fill in your questionnaire before pointing out your "tripe" comment was an embarrassing attempt at an rebuttal.

Of 4 odd post I have not seen one opinion just curious to see if the ball stays on the pitch. Do you have an opinion on Black lives matters that is what the thread is about ?

Zxclnic wrote: »
    I mean 'Black Lives Matter' and why the group was formed, what else could I mean?
    there'll be protests, and then some.

No the above. What does that mean ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

In the same paragraph..... What percentage of police are killed per year in the states vs their numbers to the population ? You could argue they are taking well over their fair share of hit's.

I think you're straying into another area there, I don't have figures but I think it's safe to assume that the number of police men and women shot dead in the line of duty in America would have a lot to do with the availability of guns among the general population - Black and White - of that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This has to do with American police shooting Americans how ? Are you disputing the figures that 1.1k ish people shot and only 60 odd were black how much of the 1040 were white ?

I suggest started a thread on murder rates around the world maybe ?
    Your 'fact' was disingenuous nonsense. And that's the thing with disingenuous nonsense, it's quite easily picked apart.

Unless of course, you consider murder to be as big (if not a bigger issue) in Indonesia (10th lowest murder rate in the world) than it is in Jamaica or Lesotho (5th and 6th highest murder rates in the world). After all, more people are killed in Indonesia than in Jamaica or Lesotho.

So do you consider murder to be as big, if not a bigger, issue in Indonesia than it is in Jamaica or Lesotho, or are you just a hypocrite?

Billy86 wrote: »
    Your 'fact' was disingenuous nonsense. And that's the thing with disingenuous nonsense, it's quite easily picked apart.

Unless of course, you consider murder to be as big (if not a bigger issue) in Indonesia (10th lowest murder rate in the world) than it is in Jamaica or Lesotho (5th and 6th highest murder rates in the world). After all, more people are killed in Indonesia than in Jamaica or Lesotho.

So do you consider murder to be as big, if not a bigger, issue in Indonesia than it is in Jamaica or Lesotho, or are you just a hypocrite?

How is white people shot in the USA where BLM is based nonsense exactly ? Are you disputing the facts presented in the Guardian article ? Out of 1100 odd people shot by American police not china not Zimbabwe. Only 60 odd were black.

• Advertisement

No the above. What does that mean ?

...'and then some' is a figure of speech.
    Is that what you're asking, or are you taking the Michael?

...'and then some' is a figure of speech.
    Is that what you're asking, or are you taking the Michael?

Nope pointing out and them some is usually a threat a threat of violence. Why would one include that ? The police have had and then some recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Of 4 odd post I have not seen one opinion just curious to see if the ball stays on the pitch. Do you have an opinion on Black lives matters that is what the thread is about ?
    I do have an opinion on it, yes.
    That negates the fact that your earlier "tripe" comment was a lame failed attempt at a rebuttal how exactly?
    Oh sorry, you're changing the subject and nobody's supposed to notice. I forgot.

I do have an opinion on it, yes.
    That negates the fact that your earlier "tripe" comment was a lame failed attempt at a rebuttal how exactly?
    Oh sorry, you're changing the subject and nobody's supposed to notice. I forgot.

So what is it or we just going to not play the ball ? The poor cancer analogy was tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't think I've ever seen so many racist remarks on the one thread before. :(

• Advertisement

Nope pointing out and them some is usually a threat a threat of violence. Why would one include that ? The police have had and then some recently.

and then some
    phrase of some
    informal
    and plenty more than that.
    "we got our money's worth and then some"

No mention of violence in the above definition, or the one below:

and then some
    and even more; and more than has been mentioned. John is going to have to run like a deer and then some to win this race. The cook put the amount of salt called for into the soup and then some.

So what is it or we just going to not play the ball ? The poor cancer analogy was tripe.
    Ah, so the entirety of your rebuttal is now saying tripe twice. Well that's settled then, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen so many racist remarks on the one thread before. :(

Racist remarks? Where exactly?

All I see are people debating on a topic of current interest.

If you'd like to point out the posts that contain racial epithets, slurs or otherwise, feel free to do so.

Ah, so the entirety of you rebuttal is now saying tripe twice. Well that's settled then, isn't it?

Not really what's your opinion on the thread ?

and then some
    phrase of some
    informal
    and plenty more than that.
    "we got our money's worth and then some"

No mention of violence in the above definition, or the one below:

and then some
    and even more; and more than has been mentioned. John is going to have to run like a deer and then some to win this race. The cook put the amount of salt called for into the soup and then some.

Context is key, it's not I need to study and then some. But I'm not going to argue slang terms.

Not really what's your opinion on the thread ?

*I think his opinion is that he doesn't think much of your opinion....but that's only my opinion.

*Of course the his/he might well be her/she....better safe then sorry.*

They say one you protest for a black cause, protesting for another cause again just isn't as good.

If you'd like to point out the posts that contain racial epithets, slurs or otherwise, feel free to do so.

Like I said racist. Makes it worse when people don't even realize that its a racist remark.

Like I said racist. Makes it worse when people don't even realize that its a racist remark.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I assume saying black is the Racist part ?

*I think his opinion is that he doesn't think much of your opinion....but that's only my opinion.

*Of course the his/he might well be her/she....better safe then sorry.*

Then that's playing the man not the ball is it not No skin off my nose, Just curious if the poster even has an opinion other than about my opinion. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Very droll.....would you prefer that the 15% was higher perhaps?

That the best you can do?

• Advertisement

That the best you can do?

It is the summer remember :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

:confused::confused::confused:

Id dont get it , Must be a racist , im off now to turn my bedspread into a Klan hood and burn a cross on the neighbors lawn ( they are from cork and a bit tanned after the good weather )

FFS some people just wait around all day to get offended .............

Then that's playing the man not the ball is it not No skin off my nose, Just curious if the poster even has an opinion other than about my opinion. :D

In my opinion his opinion on the thread topic differs from your opinion...and then some........in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

What?! How do you think racism fuelled by ignorance (not knowing) is somehow worse than thought-out, deliberate racism?

In my opinion his opinion on the thread topic differs from your opinion...and then some........in my opinion.

Your opinion is fine on his/her opinion on my opinion. Opinions are fine is what makes the world a nice place. That's my opinion.

How is that statement racist?

You know, I am really getting tired of people throwing that word around with reckless abandon, completely oblivious to what they are doing with the word: watering down its meaning. Using it to stifle debate. Whether that is you intention or not, I don't know.

By using the word Racist to describe the spurious phrase like the one you have highlighted, you are negating the power and meaning of the word Racist.

What?! How do you think racism fuelled by ignorance (not knowing) is somehow worse than thought-out, deliberate racism?

I'm happy to see that a few posters now see the racism in some of the comments. Even if something racist is said in jest it's still racist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Please explain how that is racist?

I'm happy to see that a few posters now see the racism in some of the comments. Even if something racist is said in jest it's still racist

No it's would be Racist if they said something like the below.

disclaimer this is an example and not to be taken as my opinion.

"All black people do x"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

mynamejeff wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

Id dont get it , Must be a racist , im off now to turn my bedspread into a Klan hood and burn a cross on the neighbors lawn ( they are from cork and a bit tanned after the good weather )

FFS some people just wait around all day to get offended .............

White guilt, don't forget the white guilt

They say one you protest for a black cause, protesting for another cause again just isn't as good.

Ok. Racism 101: The above comment refers to "once you try black you'll never go back". This is a racist comment. It is a black stereo type. Racism isn't just calling someone a n#####. Stereotypes are racist too.
    Please explain how that is racist?

How is saying your laughable attempt at a rebuttal was pathetic "playing the man"? Are you the living embodiment of a laughably poor rebuttal such that you take personal offense whenever one is pointed out?
    Want to try again with something a bit more, you know, real?

Ok. Racism 101: The above comment refers to "once you try black you'll never go back". This is a racist comment. It is a black stereo type. Racism isn't just calling someone a n#####. Stereotypes are racist too.

Black people use the phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

No it's would be Racist if they said something like the below.

disclaimer this is an example and not to be taken as my opinion.

"All black people do x"

Would that not just be a generalization?

How is saying your laughable attempt at a rebuttal was pathetic "playing the man"? Are you the living embodiment of a laughably poor rebuttal such that you take personal offense whenever one is pointed out?
    Want to try again with something a bit more, you know, real?

So no opinion yet very very odd.

• Advertisement

How is white people shot in the USA where BLM is based nonsense exactly ? Are you disputing the facts presented in the Guardian article ? Out of 1100 odd people shot by American police not china not Zimbabwe. Only 60 odd were black.

It's not nonsense. White people do get shot by cops. What is nonsense, is your attempt to insinuate that there is not a problem in the US with cops shooting black people?

So which is it... is murder as big (or a bigger) issue in Indonesia, which has the 10th lowest murder rate in the world, or in Lesotho and Jamaica which have the 5th and sixth highest? Or are you just being intentionally disingenuous with your claim that...
    Why does it need to be about race ? The police in the USA shoot more whites fact. It should just be lives matter. But that's not as catchy and special interest so people can get triggered on.

It's clear why it is about race, and you know it. Unless of course you think that are no more likely (or even less likely) to be murdered in Jamaica or Lesotho than in Indonesia.

Black people use the phrase.

Black people can be racist too you know. Some black people say the n word. Its still a racist word when they use it.

37 people thanked the racist comment. That's very sad.

Would that not just be a generalization?

Context I guess but to be safe these days I would steer clear of “people do x.” I don't want to be chased down the street by people who are triggered like they just came back from the nam... There all like “I have seen some things and some stuff...” “ would not recommend it.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's not nonsense. White people do get shot by cops. What is nonsense, is your attempt to insinuate that there is not a problem in the US with cops shooting black people?

So which is it... is murder as big (or a bigger) issue in Indonesia, which has the 10th lowest murder rate in the world, or in Lesotho and Jamaica which have the 5th and sixth highest? Or are you just being intentionally disingenuous with your claim that...

It's clear why it is about race, and you know it. Unless of course you think that are no more likely (or even less likely) to be murdered in Jamaica or Lesotho than in Indonesia.

More whites are shot so white people being shot is more of a problem no ?

Second point has zero to do with this thread maybe start one about it ?

3rd point why is white people shot not a Race issue ? Is it just white cops shooting black people ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Context I guess but to be safe these days I would steer clear of “people do x.” I don't want to be chased down the street by people who are triggered like they just came back from the nam... There all like “I have seen some things and some stuff...” “ would not recommend it.”

:pac:

''Everyone on boards over re-acts''

;)

So no opinion yet very very odd.
    And yet again you seem to think my opinion (or lack of) is in some way relevant to your own diabolically bad debating skills.
    And you probably think nobody notices you're changing the subject too which is the most jaw dropping bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Black people can be racist too you know. Some black people say the n word. Its still a racist word when they use it.

37 people thanked the racist comment. That's very sad.

sooooooooo every one is racist then really ? :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I'm not entirely sure you're familiar with the word.

Edit:

Ok no I'm entirely sure :D

mynamejeff wrote:
    sooooooooo every one is racist then really ?

Everyone has the potential to be racist. It's mostly down to upbringing. If we are not educated as to what racism is by parents or teachers etc you might end up with racists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

How is that statement racist?

You know, I am really getting tired of people throwing that word around with reckless abandon, completely oblivious to what they are doing with the word: watering down its meaning. Using it to stifle debate. Whether that is you intention or not, I don't know.

By using the word Racist to describe the spurious phrase like the one you have highlighted, you are negating the power and meaning of the word Racist.
    Spoken like a true rape-apologist. Sorry, I mean racist-apologist (but now I suspect you're both...)
    I see lots of foolishness and over-reaction to a known phrase. (Is using the word 'Trojan' racist against the Greeks?)

Do you know black people, on average, score less than white people on IQ tests. Is that racist too?

And yet again you seem to think my opinion (or lack of) is in some way relevant to your own diabolically bad debating skills.
    And you probably think nobody notices you're changing the subject too which is the most jaw dropping bit.

It is to the thread yes, Care to share it with the rest of us ?

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2057620297&query=&user=810264&date_from=&date_to=

Spoken like a true rape-apologist. Sorry, I mean racist-apologist (but now I suspect you're both...)

Care to elaborate on this?

Everyone has the potential to be racist. It's mostly down to upbringing. If we are not educated as to what racism is by parents or teachers etc you might end up with racists.

And if no one had invented the word ? We would have what ?

More whites are shot so white people being shot is more of a problem no ?
    Do you think you murder in in Indonesia (10th lowest murder rate in the world) is more of an issue than in Jamaica or Lesotho (5th and 6th highest murder rates in the world)? Or are you intentionally at this stage, continuing to be a hypocrite?
    Second point has zero to do with this thread maybe start one about it ?
    You asked me to expand on it, and now you want nothing to do with the question. Funny that, and it's very obvious why. Or maybe you do actually think murder is a more serious issue in Indonesia than it is in Lesotho or Jamaica... maybe...
    3rd point why is white people shot not a Race issue ? Is it just white cops shooting black people ?
    Because white people are shot by police at a much lower per capita level (a far better way of actually measuring things, to avoid situations like thinking Indonesia has a bigger murder problem than Jamaica or Lesotho). But you already knew that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement