Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Lives Matter protest in Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Has anyone seen any pictures from Dublin today all I get in the print media and online is pictures of the guys in America. Must have been only a few there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Walked past earlier, the stench of B.O and warm Dutch Gold was strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Has anyone seen any pictures from Dublin today all I get in the print media and online is pictures of the guys in America. Must have been only a few there.

Full on parades with floats have been ignored by the Irish media. Doesn't matter how many were at it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Sorry but what does that Fact have to do with people being against police killing black people to such a high proportion?

This is parroted time and again and it’s repeatedly proved incorrect.

Below is recent study performed by an African American professor from Harvard which points to the fact that white people are more likely to be shot by the police (though are less likely to feel other types of police violence).

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0

The problem with trying to discuss this with many Irish people is that they, understandably, look through an Irish lens, “Sure look at them way over militarised with their guns, their body armour, their humvee’s, sure all a Garda needs is his baton”, they don’t understand the context of what the police force deal with. Another issue is that the Irish media give the headlines of situations when they occur but rarely go into depth an/or follow up as further investigations occur and details come out. Many of situations reported as police overreaction turn out to be justified, Ferguson for example (and looks like Baton Rouge will be similar).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Foxtrol wrote: »
    This is parroted time and again and it’s repeatedly proved incorrect.

Below is recent study performed by an African American professor from Harvard which points to the fact that white people are more likely to be shot by the police (though are less likely to feel other types of police violence).

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0

The problem with trying to discuss this with many Irish people is that they, understandably, look through an Irish lens, “Sure look at them way over militarised with their guns, their body armour, their humvee’s, sure all a Garda needs is his baton”, they don’t understand the context of what the police force deal with. Another issue is that the Irish media give the headlines of situations when they occur but rarely go into depth an/or follow up as further investigations occur and details come out. Many of situations reported as police overreaction turn out to be justified, Ferguson for example (and looks like Baton Rouge will be similar).

I read that article today

Problem is though it doesn't matter whether it's fact or fiction
    The white man has to be P.C. all the time. You can't say anything about any body that's not white these days without being called a racist

If I were to get into a fight with a white man on the street it's just considered a distrubance
    If I were to get into a fight with a person who is not white then it's a racial hate crime
    If I were to get into a fight with a jewish person then it's an anti sematic hate crime

The gas part about this is that it was a few do gooders (white people) that have made other races believe that white people hate them, when the reality is we don't.
    But whites need to be so careful now about what they do or say for fear of being branded a racist.

In relation to BLM, I think America is in serious trouble.
    There have been major distrubances in the US over that last 24 months in relation to what is deemed to be "Racial Hate". And it's only going to get worse.
    Their biggest problem.... Everyone has a Gun, It's a recipe for a Civil war in the next 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13680344_10153826789267887_9136024044360800732_o.jpg

So People before profit jumping onto another bandwagon :o, a political party is there to look after the people it represents not what ****ing gets the most attention. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Antifa larping?

alane20 wrote: »
    Bit dramatic in fairness

Saipanne wrote: »
    Who? Renua?

It was a dirt poor attempt at a joke on the fact that the left have done the vast majority of protest disrupting so far. Nvm, my bad :o

Imo, black lives do indeed matter - like all - but someone needs tell black people..
    It would take cops something like 40 years to kill the number of black people killed by other black people in one year alone. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

moloner4 wrote: »
    https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/13680344_10153826789267887_9136024044360800732_o.jpg

So People before profit jumping onto another bandwagon :o, a political party is there to look after the people it represents not what ****ing gets the most attention. :mad:

PBP should just change their name to "WAAAAAHHHHH, authority is bad for reasons :(".

Laughable gimps.

That is cringey!

Who's voting for these people!?

Did a round up on twitter of photos and videos of the protest. I can understand if someone wants to protest, but I think most of these fools don't even know what police oppression/ brutality is or what real issue is.

https://twitter.com/JessRTs_a_lot/status/752967974957514752 **** me did they just say this. One child in direct provision is too many???

https://twitter.com/hashtag/blmireland?f=tweets&vertical=default&src=tren a very vague statement.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/blmireland?f=tweets&vertical=default&src=tren ......

https://twitter.com/deanvannguyen/status/752943025056284673 think this is the nigeran fella that was taking about us police as a previous poster put up.

https://twitter.com/awkaoife/status/752939597617848320 numbers 100-200. Laughable for 1000s who said they'd turn up.

https://twitter.com/chrryprince/status/752930346799362048 chanting black lives matter, cause ireland treats black lives so badly

This crowd is a laughing joke, they look like the typical college students who don't ****ing work and get money from mammy and daddy (or the government). And I say that as someone who just finished college in may with a 1.1 and already in full time work, I'm only 22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LightsStillOn

Snip

To be honest, the only joke here is that you've posted such a big rant about something which you clearly have no interest in. It's a group of people showing solidarity towards a cause they support. It's not the first time it's happened over here, and it won't be the last time either. Maybe focus your energy and thoughts into something you feel strongly for instead of ripping people for doing it?

To be honest, the only joke here is that you've posted such a big rant about something which you clearly have no interest in. It's a group of people showing solidarity towards a cause they support. It's not the first time it's happened over here, and it won't be the last time either. Maybe focus your energy and thoughts into something you feel strongly for instead of ripping people for doing it?

I have my own focuses, such as donating and promoting platelet donations for cancer patients. There's far more important issues in this country than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

And 0.3 people turned up over over the "surprise sex" being initiated by car insurance companies...

There's far more important issues in this country than this.

Damn F**king Straight Man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

There's far more important issues in this country than this.

Yeah but they aren't in the news at the moment so who cares?

Typical Irish event junkie-ism spread to the "activist" class a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Did a round up on twitter of photos and videos of the protest. I can understand if someone wants to protest, but I think most of these fools don't even know what police oppression/ brutality is or what real issue is.

https://twitter.com/JessRTs_a_lot/status/752967974957514752 **** me did they just say this. One child in direct provision is too many???

https://twitter.com/hashtag/blmireland?f=tweets&vertical=default&src=tren a very vague statement.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/blmireland?f=tweets&vertical=default&src=tren ......

https://twitter.com/deanvannguyen/status/752943025056284673 think this is the nigeran fella that was taking about us police as a previous poster put up.

https://twitter.com/awkaoife/status/752939597617848320 numbers 100-200. Laughable for 1000s who said they'd turn up.

https://twitter.com/chrryprince/status/752930346799362048 chanting black lives matter, cause ireland treats black lives so badly

This crowd is a laughing joke, they look like the typical college students who don't ****ing work and get money from mammy and daddy (or the government). And I say that as someone who just finished college in may with a 1.1 and already in full time work, I'm only 22.

Bunch of crusty sjw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

As I suspected crowed tiny and probably contains people looking at what they are doing and not part of it. Can only hear about 20 people chanting black lives matter d4 accents I think or Dort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

grahambo wrote: »
    The white man has to be P.C. all the time. You can't say anything about any body that's not white these days without being called a racist
    But whites need to be so careful now about what they do or say for fear of being branded a racist.

incorrect. you can say whatever you like as long as you except your view or opinion is open to challenge.
    Their biggest problem.... Everyone has a Gun, It's a recipe for a Civil war in the next 10 years.

i agree. i have been thinking about this the past couple of days, and i do believe that either a civil war, or a war between the authorities and the people will happen in america rather soon. i hope i'm proven wrong, but it is a strong possibility unfortunately.
    Bunch of crusty sjw

what you actually meant to say was "protesters who's view/issue/protest i don't agree with"

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Multitasking.
    Allows one to focus on more than one thing at a time.
    Try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

As I suspected crowed tiny and probably contains people looking at what they are doing and not part of it. Can only hear about 20 people chanting black lives matter d4 accents I think or Dort.

Self congratulatory **** all round on the Dart home. Back to playing Pokemon tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If I were to get into a fight with a white man on the street it's just considered a distrubance
    If I were to get into a fight with a person who is not white then it's a racial hate crime
    If I were to get into a fight with a jewish person then it's an anti sematic hate crime
    But what if they're... white AND Jewish!?

Right wing victim complex head explosion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Self congratulatory **** all round on the Dart home. Back to playing Pokemon tomorrow.

The ironing is most certainly delicious in this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Billy86 wrote: »

Good man yourself. I knew I left something switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Someone else does my ironing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well after a great many pages I can say this:

People want to protest about something that I personally don't think is of paramount importance in Irish society. But they seem to be doing no harm, and I think broadly speaking they mean well. Let them do what they want to do, I think.

I might think there's a danger of things being too "right on" for my liking, but I'd rather stand with them than with a lot of the anti BLM posters on this thread - who come across as ignorantly bigoted, sneering and ludicrously offended by all this.

Get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The main problem i have with it is crap like this "Speaking ahead of the protests, Hassan Ould Moctar of Anti-Racism Network Ireland said that while black males were five times more likely than white males to be killed by police in the US, institutional prejudice also exists in ireland as evidenced by the direct provision system." nice way to push their own agenda there.

I'd rather keep my distance and observe than come across as a SJW who is shocked and appauled about certain PC incidents but anything outside of that they start mud slinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Someone else does my ironing.

Are they black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

old_aussie wrote: »
    Are they black?

Everyone knows the Asians run the best laundries. 😜😜

incorrect. you can say whatever you like as long as you except your view or opinion is open to challenge.

But you'll always be challenged for something like that
    But what if they're... white AND Jewish!?

Right wing victim complex head explosion.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

The gas part about this is that it was a few do gooders (white people) that have made other races believe that white people hate them, when the reality is we don't.

That's not true though. You can say anything you want about a black, jewish, whatever person and not be racist/anti-semitic/etc.

If you want to say that Barack Obama is a terrible president, nobody's gonna consider you racist. If you want to suggest that Woody Allen might be a pervert for hooking up with the step daughter of his decade long partner, then nobody's gonna start thinking your an anti-semite.

It's generally when you mock, attack, or confront someone because of their ethnicity that you are considered racist, etc.

If you're worried that political correctness is curtailing anything you have to say about a black person, it might just be because what you have to say is actually racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Black cop expresses his opinion on BLM

www.imgur.com/gallery/sKabZ

Hit the nail on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

That is the whitest black lives matter demonstration the movement has ever seen.... Black lives matter, just not enought to envite many to our virtue signalling closet 'what we really mean is we just hate America but don't want to chant that' rally.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Black cop expresses his opinion on BLM

www.imgur.com/gallery/sKabZ

Hit the nail on the head

Read the comments underneath it. The stats are fake, the photo is fake, MLK was called a terrorist in his day, black on black crime v cop on black different issues.

20Cent wrote: »
    Read the comments underneath it. The stats are fake, the photo is fake, MLK was called a terrorist in his day, black on black crime v cop on black different issues.

That's an imgur post where photos were added by the submitter (one of which had to be removed)

The original post is by a black cop called Jay Stalien who posted the text on Facebook, google to find the original post (can't access here in work)

Likewise there was a viral video blog several months ago by a black woman angry of with BLM, asking where they were when blacks were being killed by blacks in her neighborhood and surrounding areas, when black kids were being accidentally killed in drive-by shootings

They both have strong points.

That's an imgur post where photos were added by the submitter (one of which had to be removed)

The original post is by a black cop called Jay Stalien who posted the text on Facebook, google to find the original post (can't access here in work)

Likewise there was a viral video blog several months ago by a black woman angry of with BLM, asking where they were when blacks were being killed by blacks in her neighborhood and surrounding areas, when black kids were being accidentally killed in drive-by shootings

They both have strong points.

Every protest ever will have critics saying why aren't they interested in x (another issue). People can be concerned about many issues at the same time. Just because BLM isn't about everything doesn't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

It is very easy to unravel the selective nature of protesting these virtue-signalling liberals go on with. Last night was a perfect chance for them to come and show their solidarity with those they perceive as being oppressed, yet i doubt any of them would have showed up to a protest for say white farmers evicted(and in some cases murdered) from their farms in Zimbabwe for example.

kstand wrote: »
    It is very easy to unravel the selective nature of protesting these virtue-signalling liberals go on with. Last night was a perfect chance for them to come and show their solidarity with those they perceive as being oppressed, yet i doubt any of them would have showed up to a protest for say white farmers evicted(and in some cases murdered) from their farms in Zimbabwe for example.

Why don't you organise one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Heard some chap on the radio yesterday called Lucky talking about the BLM protest in Dublin. He said we need to ensure that black people over here don't suffer the same fate here as black people in America do at the hands of the police. Deluded.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Maybe he doesn't want AFA nutters coming down on him?

No interest in any form of virtue signalling or anything of the sort. What happens in the US and Zimbabwe doesnt affect me and although I certainly feel empathy for anyone in either situation, I feel there are enough problems at home that need addressing. What I merely pointed out above is the double standards of so many on the liberal left. They are happy to protest as long as the cause fits into their own ant-establishment or anti-US mindset and worldview.

• Advertisement

No interest in any form of virtue signalling or anything of the sort. What happens in the US and Zimbabwe doesnt affect me and although I certainly feel empathy for anyone in either situation, I feel there are enough problems at home that need addressing. What I merely pointed out above is the double standards of so many on the liberal left. They are happy to protest as long as the cause fits into their own ant-establishment or anti-US mindset and worldview.

More like it would require some effort whereas sneering and mocking from the sideline requires none.

More like it would require some effort whereas sneering and mocking from the sideline requires none.

If there is one thing I detest it is the double standards of virtue signalling liberals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Like the effort of sombody standing on the sidlines sneering and mocking people sneering and mocking from the sidlines. You're an ouroboros of ironic failure....

Standing up to the tyranny of the state is supposed to be a right wing issue. When did sneering at and worrying how many likes/retweets "liberals" get become more important?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

kstand wrote:
    doesnt affect me and although I certainly feel empathy for anyone in either situation
    kstand wrote:
    If there is one thing I detest it is the double standards of virtue signalling liberals

?

Every protest ever will have critics saying why aren't they interested in x (another issue). People can be concerned about many issues at the same time. Just because BLM isn't about everything doesn't mean anything.

There are good protest movements and bad ones

Sometimes protesters are just plain wrong. And some people can't accept that.

There are good protest movements and bad ones

Sometimes protesters are just plain wrong. And some people can't accept that.

So they are wrong and black lives don't actually matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

volm6u.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are the Irish going to have a white lives matter protest....?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Are the Irish going to have a white lives matter protest....?
    No. You need to back a minority.... Ginger lives matter!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement