Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help save my bank account! Tacx Neo

Options
  • 10-07-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

So, thinking of getting a turbo. Have decided that I am a fair weather cyclist, and here in Ireland we don't tend to get many fair days.

Thinking of getting a turbo, and if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly. Thinking of going all out on a Tacx Neo.

Reason being: Should stand the test of time. Its quite as can be, so won't annoy the family. Looks pretty good, and being direct won't have an issue with replacing tyres etc.

Obviously the cost is an issue, but its not 100% outside of my budget.

What do you guys think, any opinion on if its a good buy? I see its on Wiggle @ €1260+ a cassette, so roughly €1300.

Am I mad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I got one. It's class!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I got one. It's class!

So it's a case of you get what you pay for! What kinda size area does it take up, roughly, length and width including bike?

I got one. It's class!

So it's a case of you get what you pay for! What kinda size area does it take up, roughly, length and width including bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

If you're looking for an argument to save your money I'll offer the following:

Cycling without moving is simply exercise.
    Exercise is boring.
    Save your money.

pelevin wrote: »
    If you're looking for an argument to save your money I'll offer the following:

Cycling without moving is simply exercise.
    Exercise is boring.
    Save your money.

Haha, unfortunately, your equation doesn't take into account my expanding waist line!

Having fuller pockets, bit actually give the appearance of a fatter ass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Daroxtar wrote: »

Nice one! Cheers. Never dealt with Evans, are they any good?

So that would be looking like €1150 all-in from Evans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

F.Grimes wrote: »
    Nice one! Cheers. Never dealt with Evans, are they any good?

Evans are very good to deal with.

Cheers! Might be talking to the bank manager tomorrow so!

Do you need a campag lock ring tool? I of course only have shimano!!

• Advertisement

I put Shimano on mine cos I use it with the training bike.

It's very neat. The side stands fold up and it can go lots of places discreetly for storage (behind a chair, beside the sofa...). When it's open it is approx two feet wide and the same in length, maybe slightly less in length. It is heavy to lift!!! Over 20kgs but that gives you comfort that it ain't going anywhere when you are using it.

I use it with my samsung tablet with the tacx software and the laptop with the zwift software. The bluetooth connection is good.

It makes a low whirr when in use and be prepared to keep pedalling if your freehub is one that makes noise when you stop pedalling and are using it indoors!

I really like it.

I put Shimano on mine cos I use it with the training bike.

It's very neat. The side stands fold up and it can go lots of places discreetly for storage (behind a chair, beside the sofa...). When it's open it is approx two feet wide and the same in length, maybe slightly less in length. It is heavy to lift!!! Over 20kgs but that gives you comfort that it ain't going anywhere when you are using it.

I use it with my samsung tablet with the tacx software and the laptop with the zwift software. The bluetooth connection is good.

It makes a low whirr when in use and be prepared to keep pedalling if your freehub is one that makes noise when you stop pedalling and are using it indoors!

I really like it.

Thanks for the indepth reply!

I'd be putting Ultegra 11spd on, but I was reading that to use the lock ring on the neo you need a campy lockring tool! Is that correct?

Has does the laptop handle zwift? Wondering would I need to upgrade to a desktop with a gpu to run it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I'd be putting Ultegra 11spd on, but I was reading that to use the lock ring on the neo you need a campy lockring tool! Is that correct?

Has does the laptop handle zwift? Wondering would I need to upgrade to a desktop with a gpu to run it

What are your laptop specs?

Minimum requirements for zwift are:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo.
    Memory: 4GB.
    Graphics: 1GB dedicated GPU, or embedded Intel HD 4000/AMD R5.
    Hard Drive: 4GB of free space.

Sarz91 wrote: »
    What are your laptop specs?

Minimum requirements for zwift are:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo.
    Memory: 4GB.
    Graphics: 1GB dedicated GPU, or embedded Intel HD 4000/AMD R5.
    Hard Drive: 4GB of free space.

Intel i5 1.6Ghz
    8gb of ram
    Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

So should be ok, but definitely won't be running it with ease!

No idea. The LBS where I bought it put the cassette on for me!

Works fine for me. Just be sure to get a usb garmin dongle for it to work.

No idea. The LBS where I bought it put the cassette on for me!

Works fine for me. Just be sure to get a usb garmin dongle for it to work.

Cool thanks! Yeah I think you need a campy tool, but it's only 8quid!

Yeah I think I've got one lying around the house! Better see if I can find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

STOP! For the love a God. Cease. Desist. Retreat.

I'm on a turbo 3 times a week on average for the last 5 years. My turbo cost 150 quid!

It's fine if you use it, but don't get suckered into that "well if I pay 1000 euro for it, I'll definitely use it" argument.
    If you find yourself unmotivated / unwilling to get up on a cheap turbo, then you'll be exactly the same with a dear one.

My 2 cents anyway.

fat bloke wrote: »
    STOP! For the love a God. Cease. Desist. Retreat.

I'm on a turbo 3 times a week on average for the last 5 years. My turbo cost 150 quid!

It's fine if you use it, but don't get suckered into that "well if I pay 1000 euro for it, I'll definitely use it" argument.
    If you find yourself unmotivated / unwilling to get up on a cheap turbo, then you'll be exactly the same with a dear one.

My 2 cents anyway.

Unfortunately, you were too late! The order has been placed!:eek::eek:

Advertisement