Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requirements for Certificate Level 7

Options
  • 10-07-2016 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm totally blind with education system here, and I would like to get your advice.

I owe leaving cert from long, long time now.

I'm nearly 40 and finally know what course would interested me and help me with carrier.

See below:

Qualification CERTIFICATE IN COMMUNICATION & GROUP SKILLS FOR MANAGERS
    Award Type and NFQ level: CERTIFICATE LEVEL 7 Fetac.

My simple question.

Would I have any chances to start that kind of course? If not where should I start?

Kind regards,
    Sab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Of course you would, just apply for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sabinalee

dar100 wrote: »
    Of course you would, just apply for it.

Really? You gave me a big hope :) I would like to start and continue with similar courses and then maybe even get some of type degree....

Shame I didn't wake up a bit earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

sabinalee wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm totally blind with education system here, and I would like to get your advice.

I'm nearly 40 and finally know what course would interested me and help me with carrier.

See below:

My simple question.

Would I have any chances to start that kind of course? If not where should I start?

Kind regards,
    Sab

Yep it's very confusing starting off. Just finished a 2yr Diploma myself (I'm turning 45yrs end of the month lol) and now hopefully starting a degree. One thing I'll say to you if you can get the chance try and go for a Level 8 degree, it'll take a year longer but will be Honours. But either way best of luck.

jaqian wrote: »
    Hi,

See below:

My simple question.

Kind regards,
    Sab

Yep it's very confusing starting off. Just finished a 2yr Diploma myself (I'm turning 45yrs end of the month lol) and now hopefully starting a degree. One thing I'll say to you if you can get the chance try and go for a Level 8 degree, it'll take a year longer but will be Honours. But either way best of luck.

Thank You!

So do you think I could start a level 8 degree, straight away, without preparation course, only with leaving cert passed 15 years ago?

Is a level 8 degree available for mature students like me :)?

Would be super, but I'm not sure if I'm that brave :)
    2 kids home, work on shifts...

I have to start with something anyway.
    The course I chose CERTIFICATE IN COMMUNICATION & GROUP SKILLS FOR MANAGERS is a certificate to complete in 8 months.
    What would I need to complete after this course to start a degree?
    Would I have to collect different modules, points?

Sorry, I'm not good with all this.

Thank You.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Level 8 degrees are of course open to mature students.

If you're worried about getting back into the swing of education, writing essays etc., there is always the option to do a preparatory year first.

Many colleges understand there can be difficulties for mature students and offer extra help to get them going. ITs are particularly good for student support.

Can you make an appointment to speak with your local ETB (old VEC) Adult Education Officer and see what is available for people wishing to return to education in your area? They can advise on college applications as well.

• Advertisement

Thank You!

So do you think I could start a level 8 degree, straight away, without preparation course, only with leaving cert passed 15 years ago?

Is a level 8 degree available for mature students like me :)?

Would be super, but I'm not sure if I'm that brave :)
    2 kids home, work on shifts...

I have to start with something anyway.
    The course I chose CERTIFICATE IN COMMUNICATION & GROUP SKILLS FOR MANAGERS is a certificate to complete in 8 months.
    What would I need to complete after this course to start a degree?
    Would I have to collect different modules, points?

Sorry, I'm not good with all this.

Thank You.

I don't know about mature but I'm old enough hitting 45 end of this month lol. I've a full time job, married two kids etc. I'm going for the Open University to do my degree. One thing I found helpful getting back into study was doing an online course in a similar subject, they're free, prepare you for the course content and help get back into the swing of things.

here are some business course to help you...

study skills
    https://alison.com/learn/study-skills

Business
    https://alison.com/learn/business-communication-skills

spurious wrote: »
    Level 8 degrees are of course open to mature students.

If you're worried about getting back into the swing of education, writing essays etc., there is always the option to do a preparatory year first.

Many colleges understand there can be difficulties for mature students and offer extra help to get them going. ITs are particularly good for student support.

Can you make an appointment to speak with your local ETB (old VEC) Adult Education Officer and see what is available for people wishing to return to education in your area? They can advise on college applications as well.

Thank You for your advice, I will contact ETB in my area.
    I did Customer Service course for few months not too long time ago...and got distinction :) I don't know how :)

jaqian wrote: »
    I don't know about mature but I'm old enough hitting 45 end of this month lol. I've a full time job, married two kids etc. I'm going for the Open University to do my degree. One thing I found helpful getting back into study was doing an online course in a similar subject, they're free, prepare you for the course content and help get back into the swing of things.

here are some business course to help you...

study skills
    https://alison.com/learn/study-skills

Business
    https://alison.com/learn/business-communication-skills

Great! Thank you for links. I will have a look into that.

Take care

Great! Thank you for links. I will have a look into that.

Take care

No probs, best of luck. Let us know how your get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

The first two years of a degree are level 6, so you should be grand going into it, will give you plenty of time to get use to writing essays

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just make sure there is a progression path after your Level 6.

Advertisement