Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house alarm advice

• 10-07-2016 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be moving into a new house in a couple of months and have been looking at what type of house alarm to get.

House will be wired for alarm already. Having read various threads here have been very informative. It's a great resource, thanks to those who take the time to help people like me out!!

Based on feedback I've read, I should include the following downstairs
    • Shock contacts on all downstairs windows including ground floor velux windows (total 8)
    • There are 3 doors (one front, back, patio back). Shock contact on all, 'leave' functionality on two of the doors.
    • PiR's to cover 2 main zones downstairs. I'm thinking one for hall pointing at front door, other in open plan area to capture entry from either back doors

I'm unclear what to do for upstairs.
    • shock/contact or shock only (7 total) - when recently chatting with a Garda crime prevention officer, he was suggesting PiR only upstairs, with no perimeter protection??
    • need for PiR in upstairs landing?
    • skylight from roof to landing - presume this needs no sensor as inaccessible?

I'm guessing that the internal PiR wiring may not be there or in wrong location, so system that allows wireless PiR's may be needed.
    I won't go monitored, preferring to get notified (by IP preferably or GSM otherwise).
    I've read about the Siemens SPC4320, this seems well received, can take both wired and wireless sensors. Would this be professional only install, or possible for DIY'r?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

brian1976 wrote: »
    I'm unclear what to do for upstairs.
    • shock/contact or shock only (7 total) - when recently chatting with a Garda crime prevention officer, he was suggesting PiR only upstairs, with no perimeter protection??
    • need for PiR in upstairs landing?
    • skylight from roof to landing - presume this needs no sensor as inaccessible?

I'm guessing that the internal PiR wiring may not be there or in wrong location, so system that allows wireless PiR's may be needed.
    I won't go monitored, preferring to get notified (by IP preferably or GSM otherwise).
    I've read about the Siemens SPC4320, this seems well received, can take both wired and wireless sensors. Would this be professional only install, or possible for DIY'r?

thanks in advance

Hi
    I would got with shock sensors & contacts on all accessible windows/doors & contacts on all other openings.
    PiR hall & landing would also be my advice.
    Contact only on your skylight.
    The SPC 4320 would be my first choice here.It would give you free email alerts free apps & free usage. (no recurring subscription charges) . You also have free polling alerts with network down notifications.
    You also get remote access via any web browser via SPCConnect.com or direct to your IP address.
    The only thing Siemens/Vanderbilt will not do is wireless shock sensors, although these can be added via third party devices if required.
    GSDs upcoming i10-70 would also be a good choice here. This would give you wireless shock sensors & most of the features above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Thanks Koolkid for the reply.

Have been reading up on system since. It states that system can be used to e.g. operate lights etc. Just wondering how this functionality works. Is this a wireless output signal from controller, so you need a wireless receiver to sense output signal and power a light etc? Any other options worth considering?

I would welcome any recommendation for installers in Meath area. I can then get in touch for quotes once I get access to the house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi external devices can be switched either by wired outputs or using x10 devices which use signaling over your existing mains wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 timeout11

Hi koolkid
    Just wondering could you help me please . I had the Siemens spc4320 installed in the past f weeks but just wondering could you answer a few q's on it

I have ip connection which is Backed up by sms. if my internet goes down should I receive a text message informing me of this ? Currently if the alarm goes off and the ip is down I am not receiving a text alert to notify me of the internet being down or of the alarm going off. This happened in the past few days where I arrived home to the alarm going off but not text or email , it turned out three was a local broadband fault but I thought I still should have got a text

How do I test that polling is working or not .?

regarding email alert is it possible to set up emails that will immediately pop up on my phone .?

Sorry for the stupid q's I am a complete novice and I should have asked the installer at the time.

Thanks again

Hi
    You need to enable all the notifications you wish to get alerts for for each users number.
    For email alerts on poll fails you can enable this in your Spc Connect account. Also check the poll time settings in FlexC /ATS. For quick notifications set at Cat4 or Cat5.
    If you use a Gmail account the notifications will be pushed to the phone and the alert will stay at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭rodge123

brian1976 wrote: »
    Thanks Koolkid for the reply.

Have been reading up on system since. It states that system can be used to e.g. operate lights etc. Just wondering how this functionality works. Is this a wireless output signal from controller, so you need a wireless receiver to sense output signal and power a light etc? Any other options worth considering?

I would welcome any recommendation for installers in Meath area. I can then get in touch for quotes once I get access to the house.

Hi Brian

Were you happy with this system in the end?
    Looking to move into our new build in the next 6 weeks, therefore hoping to get alarm system sorted soon.

Did you find a certified/approved installer? (Think insurance companies require this if you state it on your policy)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

rodge123 wrote: »
    Hi Brian

Were you happy with this system in the end?
    Looking to move into our new build in the next 6 weeks, therefore hoping to get alarm system sorted soon.

Did you find a certified/approved installer? (Think insurance companies require this if you state it on your policy)

Thanks

I'm still waiting to move in, will be sometime before christmas before I get a system installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 timeout11

Hi koolkid thanks for getting back to me. I'm able to connect to spc connect and can see where I can enable notifications for. Network down etc. I can't see where I can change flexc/ats. Where can I change this ? I see their is s link to connect to panel web page , I clicked this but cannot log in .? Is the a manual or anything to tell me how to use the system .
    Is it correct that the alarm is able to go off an I don't receive a text message if the Internet is down . I thought that the system worked on the basis that if internet is down it will revert to text message to inform me of alarm activation ?

Thanks again

KoolKid wrote: »
    Hi
    You need to enable all the notifications you wish to get alerts for for each users number.
    For email alerts on poll fails you can enable this in your Spc Connect account. Also check the poll time settings in FlexC /ATS. For quick notifications set at Cat4 or Cat5.
    If you use a Gmail account the notifications will be pushed to the phone and the alert will stay at the top.

Hi KoolKid

I'm looking to get alarm system installed in our new build in the next few weeks.
    All openings have wires for system.

Would you still recommend the Siemens Spc 4320?

Know of any installers that will quote? We are based on Kildare/Meath border.

I believe it needs to be installed and certified in order for it to be valid on house insurance?

Yes, I would recommend it for a wired system. It's one of the most popular systems we install.
    Take a look at the sticky for some installers and a link to the PSA register of licensed installers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Carrie Palmer

I would suggest you to go with a wireless security system simply because they are safe and efficient . They are efficient, easier to instal, has faster support and is flexible and versatile . It is easy to expand your system(as your family grows or your needs increase). To choose a particular brand , just take a look at some review sites and settle for the best. Also there are few things to be kept in mind while you invest in security system like the the extent of control you desire, DIY installation etc... Have you tried home security automation systems ontario, Sleep well security systems. Do check more details before settling for a particular brand.

Absolutely no benefit to installing a wireless system into a wired house. Most wired systems are hybrid now so you would have the flexibility to add wireless devices if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 VJWaterford9

Not sure if this is the best thread to post but I want to relocate the battery pack for our Phonewatch alarm to another room as the room it's currently plugged into is now the baby's. We had limited plugs free downstairs at the time of installing a couple of yes ago! I contacted phonewatch but they won't relocate it unless I pay an engineer €100 per hr?! Seems extortionate when we pay a monthly maintenance fee, anyone experience of how to do this yourself without setting off the whole system? Thanks!

Not sure if this is the best thread to post but I want to relocate the battery pack for our Phonewatch alarm to another room as the room it's currently plugged into is now the baby's. We had limited plugs free downstairs at the time of installing a couple of yes ago! I contacted phonewatch but they won't relocate it unless I pay an engineer €100 per hr?! Seems extortionate when we pay a monthly maintenance fee, anyone experience of how to do this yourself without setting off the whole system? Thanks!

Just tell them you want to cancel your monthly subscription with them (if you are no longer in contract).
    They will ask why - you will says cause of the engineer fee - they will offer to do for free if you stay!

I always do similar with my sky when need something fixed. They have sent engineer out for free if I stayed with them.

I am afraid I have told them I am cancelling once my contract is up, I have spoken with three different customer care managers and they are firm on the call put fee and they don't seem a bit bothered I am leaving them!

Is this the old or new phonewatch system?
    If its their older systems shop around. There are plenty of company's that would be able to do this for you.If its their new system you are stuck with them for the life of the system.
    Also don't fall for the offer of the upgrade to the new system. That will leave you stuck with having to pay them for everything in the future.

It's 2yrs old so I guess it's a new system? They obviously know they have me caught because all three managers I spoke to were defiantly firm that I would have to pay! Just seems a ridiculous call out fee for what appears to be a simple job and we were led to believe all call outs were included in the monthly fee.. Just going to have persevere til my contract ends!

So is it the one with the cameras inside your house in the PiRs?

Colm

So is it the one with the cameras inside your house in the PiRs?

Colm

Yup that's what we have..

That's why they are so adamant. They know you can't go anywhere else. This is the future for anyone going with PW. This is why they are so eager to upgrade everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

I would suggest you to go with a wireless security system simply because they are safe and efficient . They are efficient, easier to instal, has faster support and is flexible and versatile . It is easy to expand your system(as your family grows or your needs increase). To choose a particular brand , just take a look at some review sites and settle for the best. Also there are few things to be kept in mind while you invest in security system like the the extent of control you desire, DIY installation etc... Have you tried home security automation systems ontario, Sleep well security systems. Do check more details before settling for a particular brand.

Are you suggesting that wired Systems are none of the above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

wrote:
    Yup that's what we have..

Sorry VJ they have you over a barrel, you and thousands more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 volker81k

Hi all,

My little family is moving into a house without alarm in few weeks.
    As I would need security for myself if I tell my wife we need to open all walls to pull wires this is not an option.

My first idea was to get a HKC wireless system but after reading here a good bit I am put off by the follow on charges for remote access and app.
    Vanderbilt (aka Siemens) only provides wired solutions when I studied their website and this forum correctly.
    Is there any wireless alternative left for me beside GSD?

BTW is that coincidence that the sensors, smoke and CO2 detectors of GSD look like HKC ones?

Thanks in advance,
    Volker

Siemens/Vanderbilt do wireless, just not wireless shocks.
    You could use third party wireless inertia's with Siemens/Vanderbilt.
    Why not GSD?
    You could use Risco
    You could use UTC (GE Aritech)
    All these offer free apps & usage.
    The smoke/heat & fire detectors you are talking about are not HKCs they are EI. Various manufacturers use them and adapt the protocols for their wireless.

Thanks KoolKid for the fast reply.

The GSDi70 should cover what I need. Any idea of prices for GSDi70 and sensors/detectors?
    I have seen a kit as well in one of GSD's videos.

We don't go into pricing here. Your best bet is to get a few quotes. What I can say is there is not a lot between the cost on any of the systems listed.

I had an installer in my recently to get a quote.
    Initially I was looking for an alarm system from GSD. That installer only supplies the Jablotron 100 system.
    Does anyone have experience / opinions on this one?

If an installer can not or is not able to install the system you want you should move on to someone more experienced. Shop around and get a survey and quote from at least 3 licenced installers.
    Would you go into Harvey Norman's and have them tell you they will only sell one brand of TV or PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Can anyone PM me recommended installers in South Dublin area for the Siemens spc 4030 system? Thank you

• Advertisement

If an installer can not or is not able to install the system you want you should move on to someone more experienced. Shop around and get a survey and quote from at least 3 licenced installers.
    Would you go into Harvey Norman's and have them tell you they will only sell one brand of TV or PC?

You got me wrong there.
    The thing is that I never looked into Jablotron so I wanted to have an opinion on that.

Advertisement