Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house alarm advice

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have never come across them or come across anyone who uses them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I have, I would class it in the Yale category.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

kub wrote: »
    I have, I would class it in the Yale category.

Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jimmy3

Hi Koolkid,

I have a new house which I would like to secure. A Hybrid Alarm which uses WiFi (WiFi router uses SIM card)(no landline).
    There are cables ran to doors and I would need to add wireless contacts/shocks (15) and wireless PIR's (4) to windows and other areas.

I would like to be able to monitor/be notified by it via phone app and have some sort of polling (no regular fees!).
    I intend to put in a CCTV system, depending on cost could be now or in the future.
    From my reading of you threads, you appear to favour GSD i70 or SPC 4320 for most solutions.

What would you recommend in my situation?
    Are any of these compatible with any CCTV system?

Thanks for your help in advance

GSD has great integration with Hikvision cctv systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

HI All,

Looking for some alarm advice, for a detached house.

Unfortunatley it is only wired for PIR and not for contact/shock at the windows.

I would like to have perimeter security rather than all PIR.
    What are my options? i am leaning towards self install with self monitoring, but would like the option of monitored maybe.

I would also be open to a professional install, but so far i have failed to get anyone from that PSA list to call out and quote!!

is my best option to go with wired PIR and wireless shock on the accessible windows (15) and doors (3)?

what is best system to integrate this? also is it possible to have PIR with a camera that can be viewed over an app?

thanks in advance

Yes, best option to go with wired PIR and wireless shock on the accessible windows and doors.
    The new GSD i1070 would be my recommendation here. It will allow you add wireless devices and have free self monitoring with free apps and free notifications. It also has very good polling times with notifications in five minutes and instant smash and grap alerts.
    No company should be refusing to call out and do a survey and quote. It is a requirement for the standards.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Yes, best option to go with wired PIR and wireless shock on the accessible windows and doors.
    The new GSD i1070 would be my recommendation here. It will allow you add wireless devices and have free self monitoring with free apps and free notifications. It also has very good polling times with notifications in five minutes and instant smash and grap alerts.
    No company should be refusing to call out and do a survey and quote. It is a requirement for the standards.

Hi KoolKid thanks for taking the time to reply. It's not so much refusing to call out, it's more not bothering!!

I'll look into the GSD system.

No problem. If you need any more information give me a shout.

No problem. If you need any more information give me a shout.
    Hi KoolKid again. Just a follow up question. If you opt for a monitored alarm, rather than self monitored, how do the annual costs compare? I know you said the GSD have free self monitoring, but say you were to compare hkc self monitored cost vs monitored by a centre?

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Central Station monitoring costs will vary a lot.
    Some prices will include just ,monitoring , some may include monitoring & your annual service, some may include monitoring & 2 service calls. Others will include unlimited call outs and monitoring.Others may also include all or some parts.Others may include everything.
    Some may include GSM/GPRS & SIM card so no phone line or phone rental is needed.
    Shop around . The cheapest may not be the best value.

Central Station monitoring costs will vary a lot.
    Some prices will include just ,monitoring , some may include monitoring & your annual service, some may include monitoring & 2 service calls. Others will include unlimited call outs and monitoring.Others may also include all or some parts.Others may include everything.
    Some may include GSM/GPRS & SIM card so no phone line or phone rental is needed.
    Shop around . The cheapest may not be the best value.

HI KoolKid,

following up with you again,

what would you think of HKC hybrid as an option. Most installers in my area use these. in fact havent found one that installs GSD yet!

thanks

Its a good option except for the app & app usage charges.
    Beware of the guys who only know one system.
    If you contact GSD they will put you in contact with installers that cover your area.
    info at globalsecurity.ie

Phone: +353 (1) 524 2691

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kallantin

Hi,

Can somebody PM me numbers for installers in west Dublin for Siemens SPC4320? Seems very well received, need something with internet and SIM as a backup. Currently have wireless but might go wired on the other floors as they are pre-wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Energy1

Its a good option except for the app & app usage charges.
    Beware of the guys who only know one system.
    If you contact GSD they will put you in contact with installers that cover your area.
    info at globalsecurity.ie

Phone: +353 (1) 524 2691

Hi koolkid,

Have you contact details for Siemens Alarm installers?

What is the price difference in HKC and Siemens and why should oen go for Siemens?

I hear they are the best but I don't understand why. I dont have cameras, its a terrace house I have with 8 openings downstairs. I dont like the idea of annual charges I know thats one advantage with Siemens. Thanks.

Price varies from installer to installer even on the same systems so shop around.
    The main features of Siemens Vanderbilt over the HKC are the quick polling times and notification on fails.
    The free apps and usage.
    The addition benefit of browser access from any pc or phone with internet access.
    Multiple Spc accounts and email alerts at no cost.
    Remember brands differ also. You wouldn't get a Siemens or a Dyson product for the same price as a Beko.

Out of curiosity is it possible to get a HKC touchscreen panel or is it just the standard one available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Energy1 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity is it possible to get a HKC touchscreen panel or is it just the standard one available?

No, just the standard or wire free keypads are available.

Energy1 wrote: »

They are in the process of developing one, so watch this space, but don't hold your breath ;)

If it were anyway close I'd imagine there might be an appearance at ISEC. But it's another no show this year I think.

• Advertisement

To be fair, they are the only manufacturer that i know of that goes to the trouble of actually going around the country to meet their customers.

They probably have nothing new to show now so why pay for a stand at ISEC?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Am at same position.
    Windows will be wired etc.
    People seem to be suggesting the Siemens SPC4320.
    Anyone recommend installers in South East? Kilkenny/Waterford/Carlow/Tipp
    Please send PM.
    Thanks

That would be one of my recommendations for a wired /wireless system.
    Sent you a PM.

In the SPC connect app for the Siemens system what does the floor plan look like for a new house? I mean can you customize it or is it just the default one on the demo that is available. The app looks easy to use. Thanks in advance

You can customise the floor plans and add floors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

Any recommended Siemens installers in Dublin? I was considering Action 24 but reading this forum has opened my eyes to the long-term costs.

Sent you a PM. Most good installers would be able to to install most systems for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 damoj29

Hi, looking for a bit of advice re installation of shock sensors...
    I have a triple sliding door that I want to put shocks and contacts on but I'm not convinced that the shock sensors will work as the frame is so deep. On one side, if I mount the sensor on the frame I'll have to then run a cable through the frame to the door for the contact.
    So my question is... If I go down the route of RF shocks, any issue with mounting these on the doors instead of the frame?

And the next question is doing something similar for a sash window - mount the RF shock on the lower sash and then a flush magnet in the upper?

Thanks

Wireless would be the tidiest and most effective in both cases here. The only thing to watch if mounting on doors is if the door opens out.
    The devices are not IP rated so not good to leave the door open in bad weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

damoj29 wrote: »
    Hi, looking for a bit of advice re installation of shock sensors...
    I have a triple sliding door that I want to put shocks and contacts on but I'm not convinced that the shock sensors will work as the frame is so deep. On one side, if I mount the sensor on the frame I'll have to then run a cable through the frame to the door for the contact.
    So my question is... If I go down the route of RF shocks, any issue with mounting these on the doors instead of the frame?

And the next question is doing something similar for a sash window - mount the RF shock on the lower sash and then a flush magnet in the upper?

Thanks

Most of them doors are built so solid that shocks can be a waste of time, especially if wired and mounted on the surrounding frame.
    Id also recommend a PIR installed in that area.

Advertisement